Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lexus UX Hybrid AWD F-Sport (updated static review)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 05:13 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
This is a lousy offering from Lexus, in the end, all that matters is if the car meets the intended sales figures. Time will tell if it was a success or one of their many failures. I certainly would not buy this car. The NX already looks and feels cheap "in my opinion" but again I am not the intended demographic. I hope it fails, tired of seeing these lousy cheap sub compact crossovers that are being built to take market share from sedans.
These "lousy cheap sub compact crossovers" are definitely NOT "being built to take market share from sedans". Crossovers are the current fashion trend and subcompact crossovers are the growing niche in that market. The market for crossovers is growing because this is what buyers -- especially North American buyers -- are asking for. Buyers right now are NOT looking for sedans; they are looking for crossovers.

If you don't like it and can do nothing but insult this as a "lousy offering", you are obviously not the intended target then. If you believe that this is nothing but a Corolla Hatchback and shares an engine with the Corolla, you don't understand the market. The Audi Q3 shares a platform and engine with the VW Golf; the BMW X1 shares a platform with the MINI Clubman and Countryman; the Mercedes-Benz GLA shares a platform and engines with the Infiniti QX30; and the QX30 crossover is a Q30 hatchback with some black plastic lower-body cladding to give it crossover styling cues.

Crossovers are nothing more than hatchbacks or station wagons, but if the automakers labelled them as such, fashion-conscious buyers would not buy them. If, however, they are labelled as crossovers, they will sell.

I believe the UX will sell. It is the luxury-brand subcompact crossover that Lexus dealers have been asking for to compete against the Audi Q3, BMW X1, Mercedes-Benz GLA, Infiniti QX30 and a possibility from Acura (something smaller than the new, larger RDX). The only reason it will not sell is if Lexus was too late and introduced this vehicle into an already saturated market, but I doubt that this is the case; it looks like there is still room in this market.
Old 01-05-19, 05:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

MM, appreciate the static review though agree with some of the comments to actually test drive it for a holistic impression. However, I agree with your assessment on the choice of too much hard plastic (i.e. entire rear door panels) though I disagree with your concern on the HVAC and radio control ergonomics - I particularly liked the feel of the buttons and the placement of the radio controls.

We're lightly considering the UX to downsize and the 250h "AWD" is the way to go for the minimal price premium.
Old 01-05-19, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
MM, appreciate the static review though agree with some of the comments to actually test drive it for a holistic impression. However, I agree with your assessment on the choice of too much hard plastic (i.e. entire rear door panels) though I disagree with your concern on the HVAC and radio control ergonomics - I particularly liked the feel of the buttons and the placement of the radio controls.

We're lightly considering the UX to downsize and the 250h "AWD" is the way to go for the minimal price premium.
Thanks for the comments, corrado...good to hear from you, as you are always polite and courteous. I'll certainly keep what you say in mind....might do a test-drive next week. We can disagree on the stereo-controls, no problem....I just found those tiny pod-buttons very awkward to use in both location and action, that's all. But I have big hands and big fingers, so, naturally tiny buttons like that are going to be difficult for me.
Old 01-06-19, 07:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

In Canada, it's not really a minimal price increase. It's $2600 and if you want to get the luxury package, you must get the hybrid, so the cost is like $7000 to get options that should be standard. I agree the hybrid is the way to go. $50K CN is just absurd for a car like this. But I do like the design inside and out.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-06-19 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-06-19, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
n Canada, it's not really a minimal price increase. It's $2600 and if you want to get the luxury package, you must get the hybrid, so the cost is like $7000 to get options that should be standard. I agree the hybrid is the way to go. $50K CN is just absurd for a car like this. But I do like the design inside and out.

In my write-up, I also said I thought the Hybrid was overpriced, even in U.S. dollars as well.
Old 01-06-19, 05:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my write-up, I also said I thought the Hybrid was overpriced, even in U.S. dollars as well.
Judging by the responses of so many members as well as the press, I don't think it matters. I do like the design inside and out of the UX
Old 01-06-19, 07:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

In Canada, it's not really a minimal price increase. It's $2600 and if you want to get the luxury package, you must get the hybrid, so the cost is like $7000 to get options that should be standard. I agree the hybrid is the way to go. $50K CN is just absurd for a car like this. But I do like the design inside and out.

I am wondering where you got the $7000 figure?

These are the prices I found on the Toyota Canada website:

UX 200: $37,100
UX 250h: $39,700 ($2600 premium over the UX 200)
UX 200 F SPORT 1: $39,400
UX 250h F SPORT 1: $41,800 ($2100 package price and $2400 premium over the UX 200)
UX 200 F SPORT 2: not available
UX 250h F SPORT 2: $48,500.00 ($8800 package price and no comparable UX 200 model)
UX 200 Luxury: not available
UX 250h Luxury: $44,900 ($5200 package price and no comparable UX 200 model)

It looks like Toyota USA and Toyota Canada are taking different marketing approaches to push the Hybrid model over the regular model: Toyota USA prices the Hybrid at a slightly lower premium ($2000) than Toyota Canada ($2600); and Toyota Canada seems to be placing the UX 250h Hybrid as the base model (with greater number of option packages), with the UX 200 as the special, decontented edition model. But at current exchange rates, Cdn$2600 is equivalent to US$1950 so there is very little difference.

I don't think that the Hybrid model is over-priced. The pricing of the packages may be arguable but that is always dependent upon whether or not you agree with how Lexus bundles its packages.
Old 01-06-19, 07:28 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Judging by the responses of so many members as well as the press, I don't think it matters. I do like the design inside and out of the UX
Have you changed your mind? I thought you said that the UX was not much more than a Corolla Hatchback?
Old 01-06-19, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am wondering where you got the $7000 figure?

These are the prices I found on the Toyota Canada website:

UX 200: $37,100
UX 250h: $39,700 ($2600 premium over the UX 200)
UX 200 F SPORT 1: $39,400
UX 250h F SPORT 1: $41,800 ($2100 package price and $2400 premium over the UX 200)
UX 200 F SPORT 2: not available
UX 250h F SPORT 2: $48,500.00 ($8800 package price and no comparable UX 200 model)
UX 200 Luxury: not available
UX 250h Luxury: $44,900 ($5200 package price and no comparable UX 200 model)

It looks like Toyota USA and Toyota Canada are taking different marketing approaches to push the Hybrid model over the regular model: Toyota USA prices the Hybrid at a slightly lower premium ($2000) than Toyota Canada ($2600); and Toyota Canada seems to be placing the UX 250h Hybrid as the base model (with greater number of option packages), with the UX 200 as the special, decontented edition model. But at current exchange rates, Cdn$2600 is equivalent to US$1950 so there is very little difference.

I don't think that the Hybrid model is over-priced. The pricing of the packages may be arguable but that is always dependent upon whether or not you agree with how Lexus bundles its packages.
So the $7000 comes from the need to first, pay the premium for the hybrid and second, you must pay the premium for the hybrid in order to even get the luxury package. Not knocking the premium for the hybrid as it appears that in this case, it is the vehicle to get as well as in RAV4. But the premium for the hybrid is not cheap IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-06-19 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 11:34 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Lexus made a terrible mistake selling the CT in the US and the UX seems to me to be another similar mistake. These cars devalue the brand and can't be very profitable.
Old 01-07-19, 03:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Lexus made a terrible mistake selling the CT in the US and the UX seems to me to be another similar mistake. These cars devalue the brand and can't be very profitable.
Their only mistake with CT was following the trend (Audi) thinking premium hatches would be the next thing when in the end that trend turned out to be premium compact sedans. Since they were following Audi;s game of course CT came out late and got stuck on the market. In fabulous Toyota product development fashion they were afraid to make a call on a successor and what it should be so rest of the world is still stuck with CT ten years later with no sedan derivative. That's what happens when you benchmark previous gen competitor Audi A3 8P and have no clue what successor will be all about (A3 8V). So their end game is to give a successor in terms of new Corolla which is exact evolution of LF-Ch just to play safe.

On the other hand latest exterior refresh of CT is money and can go head to head with current A3 but interior is so previous generation. Missed opportunity to make a sedan out of it which would have been the size of original IS is what has killed CT in US.
Old 01-07-19, 10:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Their only mistake with CT was following the trend (Audi) thinking premium hatches would be the next thing when in the end that trend turned out to be premium compact sedans. Since they were following Audi;s game of course CT came out late and got stuck on the market. In fabulous Toyota product development fashion they were afraid to make a call on a successor and what it should be so rest of the world is still stuck with CT ten years later with no sedan derivative. That's what happens when you benchmark previous gen competitor Audi A3 8P and have no clue what successor will be all about (A3 8V). So their end game is to give a successor in terms of new Corolla which is exact evolution of LF-Ch just to play safe.

On the other hand latest exterior refresh of CT is money and can go head to head with current A3 but interior is so previous generation. Missed opportunity to make a sedan out of it which would have been the size of original IS is what has killed CT in US.
Why A3 and not A class for instance? CT was never made with US in mind and they were probably losing money on it in the US, hence the cut. As to the long product cycle, it is same with A3 and 1 series.
Old 01-07-19, 11:02 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I agree with this partially. I understand they want to be a part of this segment, but they also need more high end offerings to offset all of these entry level models. IMO, for every NX, CT or UX they decide to produce, there should be another LX, LC, LS or higher end vehicle. I also disagree with dropping the GS.
Old 01-07-19, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Sat in it again for a little longer today while we were picking up my buddy's ES350. Spending more time with it, the materials inside are considerably better than the CT. However, with the front seat all the way back in its tracks its barely enough legroom for me, and while I'm 6' tall I only have a 30 inch inseam, so people with longer legs would have a big problem. And with the front seat set that way the seat behind me was totally unusable.
Old 01-07-19, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sat in it again for a little longer today while we were picking up my buddy's ES350. Spending more time with it, the materials inside are considerably better than the CT.
"Better" may be a relative term, but, IMO, it's hard to justify hard-plastic all over the door panels in a 38-40K Lexus product. I've seen better door-panel material in low-level Kias and Hyundais.

Having said that, though, there are some nice touches inside the UX, such as the felt-lined sun-visors and a nicely-done steering wheel. It's not all bargain-basement stuff.

However, with the front seat all the way back in its tracks its barely enough legroom for me, and while I'm 6' tall I only have a 30 inch inseam, so people with longer legs would have a big problem. And with the front seat set that way the seat behind me was totally unusable.
I ran into the same thing on the one Is looked at.....Munchkin rear seat legroom with the front seat set where I like it. And I probably sit with the seat a little farther forward than you do, even though I'm a couple of inches taller than you...I like my legs bent a little, and the steering wheel close to me (though one should leave a little clearance in case the air bag pops).

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lexus UX Hybrid AWD F-Sport (updated static review)