Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lexus UX Hybrid AWD F-Sport (updated static review)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 12:18 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the write-up, I mentioned the X1 and QX30 as probably the two closest competitors. The others, I felt, were not quite as close.
You are aware that the GLA and QX30 are the same vehicle except for body parts and styling aren't you?

Last edited by oldcajun; 01-04-19 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 12:23 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The inclusion of a touch pad is a total deal breaker for me. I lived with the awful thing in an NX for 3 years. I'm so glad I'm rid of it. Never again. Lexus needs to wake up.
Old 01-04-19, 12:29 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Partly true, but, from what the specs I've seen and read, wheelbase or not, the GLA, XC40, and 3 are generally considered in the A (compact) class, rather than the B (Subcompact) class, where the UX falls. You may disagree with my classification (I respect that), but that is hardly a reason to call someone ignorant.
I called the omission of certain models ignorant, not you. But I'll tell you what. From now on I will abstain from your write-up posts because I wholeheartedly disagree with what you believe is competition. Not just from this thread. There are plenty of cases. The EcoSport and Trax denail. A 2016 write-up of the GX460 you claimed a Lincoln MKX. And the one that stands out the most in my mind was the 2018 Stinger write-up where you claimed (though have since edited with an asterisk) the RWD Stinger competes with the FWD Maxima. Have a nice day sir.
Old 01-04-19, 12:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
You are aware that the CLA and QX30 are the same vehicle except for body parts and styling aren't you?
could be wrong, but QX30 seems taller? certainly is better looking imo.
Old 01-04-19, 01:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

No, but you did say it's too small for the American market. Lexus simply created it to fill a space that it's competitors compete in
What would you like me to say then? That it will sell well. Yes, it was made to fill a space. I just think a 2.0 non turbo engine directly lifted from the Corolla is a hard thing to sell to the American people. <<< that and the fact that the UX is a small package for an upmarket price. How many units do you really expect this model to sell? Lack of awd to the 2.0 is an issue IMO.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-04-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 01:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I called the omission of certain models ignorant, not you. But I'll tell you what. From now on I will abstain from your write-up posts because I wholeheartedly disagree with what you believe is competition. Not just from this thread. There are plenty of cases. The EcoSport and Trax denail. A 2016 write-up of the GX460 you claimed a Lincoln MKX. And the one that stands out the most in my mind was the 2018 Stinger write-up where you claimed (though have since edited with an asterisk) the RWD Stinger competes with the FWD Maxima. Have a nice day sir.
Hard to believe the MB GLA and the Infiniti QX30 are not in the same category as the UX. I don’t even know what the dimensions are, but it seems they should be included.
Old 01-04-19, 01:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

GLA is no great looker either with the long front overhang and tiny gap from front wheels to front door, but it does have over 200hp, and the amg version has 375 stomping hp with torque-vectoring awd for serious grins and all have apple carplay, android auto, and a more conventional interior.

the ux though is longer, wider, and taller and it's WORLDS better than the CT was.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-04-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 01:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
could be wrong, but QX30 seems taller? certainly is better looking imo.
Yes, my error. My mind said GLA but my fingers typed CLA. Mechanically the same but different bodies. I have edited my post.
Old 01-04-19, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I saw one at the Lexus dealer today while I was there with my friend looking at the ES. I agree, interior is better than the CT, but not by a whole lot.
Old 01-04-19, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I called the omission of certain models ignorant, not you. But I'll tell you what. From now on I will abstain from your write-up posts because I wholeheartedly disagree with what you believe is competition.
That's up to you, but I welcome your opinions.
Old 01-04-19, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the ux though is longer, wider, and taller and it's WORLDS better than the CT was.
It's better if you want more ground clearance (the CT practically drags the ground LOL).
Old 01-04-19, 04:40 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

UX and MB GLA is like double edge sword, it can lure some new comer jumping into the brand, but it can easily push the existing customers away.

I was a very a very loyal Lexus customer, I started hating Lexus since I bought CT back in 2010. But a new buyer may find CT/UX very attractive.

Last edited by sears1234; 01-04-19 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 08:23 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a lousy offering from Lexus, in the end, all that matters is if the car meets the intended sales figures. Time will tell if it was a success or one of their many failures. I certainly would not buy this car. The NX already looks and feels cheap "in my opinion" but again I am not the intended demographic. I hope it fails, tired of seeing these lousy cheap sub compact crossovers that are being built to take market share from sedans.
Old 01-05-19, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
This is a lousy offering from Lexus, in the end, all that matters is if the car meets the intended sales figures. Time will tell if it was a success or one of their many failures. I certainly would not buy this car. The NX already looks and feels cheap "in my opinion" but again I am not the intended demographic. I hope it fails, tired of seeing these lousy cheap sub compact crossovers that are being built to take market share from sedans.
Nicely worded. However, seems like this new UX is critic approved in such a strange way. I don’t get it.
Old 01-05-19, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
I hope it fails, tired of seeing these lousy cheap sub compact crossovers that are being built to take market share from sedans.
Well, I don't want to see anything fail just for the sake of failing...remember, the company's designers, planners, and the people in the assembly-plants, have put a lot of time and effort into bringing any new vehicle to market. If and when it fails, they potentially suffer. But I absolutely do agree with the rest of your statement. Many people are buying these vehicles simply because they have become a craze, and are trying to keep up with the Joneses....though they (admittedly) offer some features that many sedans don't......AWD, a higher ground-stance, and more cargo space.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive: 2019 Lexus UX Hybrid AWD F-Sport (updated static review)