Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
On the flip side, you could make a list that states which brands are most likely to be kept for 3 years or less. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi would populate the list.
Part of that is because BMW traditionally gives good lease deals....they are able to do so because of relatively low depreciation.
Old 01-07-19, 06:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By any measure Lexus and Toyota buyers and long term owners are going to be older and more mature about buying and owning choices. When you're young and relatively carefree, you take more car owning risks. We learn by experience when it comes to car ownership and repair so that means eventually we come to a conclusion about what's good and what's not.

The more car ownership experiences you have, the more you know about what a car or truck means to you. Eventually you will get to a balanced view of what you will look for in a car. Find that car and you'll hang onto it for a long, long time.

Anecdotally, I see Japanese and Detroit domestic cars on the road in equal measures. But I also see a lot of older GM, Chryco on the back of tow trucks and stranded vs Japanese metal aged around the title of this thread. That's not a coincidence. Just today I saw a 90s era Corolla on the highway doing stalart duty for a couple of plant workers. Rusting a little bit but absolutely running great.

On the other side of the highway was a Chevy Cavaliar from the same era on the back of a junkyard tow truck. And I've seen a few of these making their last trip like that. There is simply an observational and anecdotal experience about which cars from 15 years ago are good and which are not. It doesn't really matter about what the motivations of those original owners were - it's about now and why these are still in the hands of their present owners.

You still see 4Runners selling for outrageously high prices. Look at the equivalent domestic truck and it's basically a money pit that's seen its last nickel and dime repair bill and getting dumped.
Old 01-07-19, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of that is because BMW traditionally gives good lease deals....they are able to do so because of relatively low depreciation.
yet all we read on here is how huge the depreciation is on german cars.

Old 01-07-19, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
By any measure Lexus and Toyota buyers and long term owners are going to be older and more mature about buying and owning choices. When you're young and relatively carefree, you take more car owning risks. We learn by experience when it comes to car ownership and repair so that means eventually we come to a conclusion about what's good and what's not.

The more car ownership experiences you have, the more you know about what a car or truck means to you.
Agreed.

Eventually you will get to a balanced view of what you will look for in a car. Find that car and you'll hang onto it for a long, long time.
Disagree unless you think it’s the last car you’ll own. Or maybe i’m not at a ‘balanced view’ because i want to keep cars less time than i did in the past.

Anecdotally, I see Japanese and Detroit domestic cars on the road in equal measures. But I also see a lot of older GM, Chryco on the back of tow trucks and stranded vs Japanese metal aged around the title of this thread. ...
We all have anecdotes. I see plenty of 30 40 and 50 year old u.s. pickup trucks running fine around here.
Old 01-07-19, 10:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

my 2003 beater ES is turning 16. Paint is peeling, valve cover gasket is leaking, but it still runs and I'm not afraid to get it dinged.

My next car will be a sports car, and I'm still keeping this beater. Hopefully it will last 30 years.
Old 01-08-19, 02:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

My 2004 LS 140k is now 15 years old, the driver door lock actuator is broken and I disabled the tilt steering until I can grease it but other than that, it's just gas and change the oil once or twice a year. The paint still looks great, 430 is an old design but my car looks brand new when cleaned up. Have no plans to get rid of it, hell I feel like it's special. The last old school, true rolling isolation chamber LS. Will drive it as long as possible, many, many more years.
Old 01-08-19, 03:32 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here are the top 10 fastest depreciating cars along with their percentage of how much value they lose in three years. Remember, the average for all vehicles is 35 percent.
  1. BMW 5 Series - 52.6 percent
  2. Volkswagen Passat - 50.7 percent
  3. Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 49.9 percent
  4. BMW 3 Series - 49.8 percent
  5. Ford Taurus - 49.7 percent
  6. Chrysler 200 - 48.4 percent
  7. Volkswagen Jetta - 48.1 percent
  8. Audi A3 - 47.9 percent
  9. Cadillac SRX - 47.2 percent
  10. Buick Enclave - 46.8 percent
Old 01-08-19, 03:38 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Seems anybody can claim reliability these days. I wouldn't look too deep into this 'new study'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xrEGkIdWs
I guess technically they are correct but is deceiving. What they mean to say is these four Chevrolet models are most dependable in their class. Chevrolet is tied for 6th overall with Lexus #1 for seven straight years.

https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings...-dependability
Old 01-08-19, 07:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

yet all we read on here is how huge the depreciation is on german cars.

I have a 2007 335i (delivered from Regensburg) and a 2006 LS430. When I bought the LS430 used in 10/16, it was worth more than the 335i, and costed (still does) more to insure. List prices new were $47k and $65k respectively. Production dates (actual) are 11 mos. apart.

Flash forward 2 years, the Lexus is worth 2k less than the BMW.

Before I can get unhappy about the depreciation on cars, I punch in my address at the zillow website and laugh. My buddy calls them zillow bucks (intended on making a person feel good--he discounts the number by 35%).
Old 01-08-19, 07:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freds430
I guess technically they are correct but is deceiving. What they mean to say is these four Chevrolet models are most dependable in their class. Chevrolet is tied for 6th overall with Lexus #1 for seven straight years.

https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings...-dependability
I just drove a 2019 Chevy Impala for a week. I have to say I liked the fit/finish, and I only hit my head on the roof for the first day.

Initially I thought, dang, this thing has none of the pep I would expect from a turbo 4, zero. Then later that day I noticed the V6 badge on the trunk. I thought oh no, pretty sure this would be a Traverse motor etc. No acceleration, rackety, and used a lot of fuel (18.x where most new cars would be 28 etc.). But I kid you not the fit/finish imho is above average. Maybe add some inductive wiring to the door handles and get a better motor and it's a winner.
Old 01-08-19, 07:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freds430
Here are the top 10 fastest depreciating cars along with their percentage of how much value they lose in three years. Remember, the average for all vehicles is 35 percent.
  1. BMW 5 Series - 52.6 percent
  2. Volkswagen Passat - 50.7 percent
  3. Mercedes-Benz E-Class - 49.9 percent
  4. BMW 3 Series - 49.8 percent
  5. Ford Taurus - 49.7 percent
  6. Chrysler 200 - 48.4 percent
  7. Volkswagen Jetta - 48.1 percent
  8. Audi A3 - 47.9 percent
  9. Cadillac SRX - 47.2 percent
  10. Buick Enclave - 46.8 percent
Yeah but apply common sense. GM cars are typically heavily discounted off of list, wholesale values take that into consideration. What's the base for the numbers, list? Or out the door prices. Ditto with a bunch of the cars on this list. We're not this simplistic, are we? The math I have seen at Edmunds TCO is that simple.
Old 01-08-19, 09:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Yeah but apply common sense. GM cars are typically heavily discounted off of list, wholesale values take that into consideration. What's the base for the numbers, list? Or out the door prices. Ditto with a bunch of the cars on this list. We're not this simplistic, are we? The math I have seen at Edmunds TCO is that simple.
I feel bad for the guy who pays close to MSRP for his GM car only to have GM discount up to 30% in some cases. There goes your resale.
Old 01-08-19, 09:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think I'm doing this backwards. I typically keep my Lexus/Toyota vehicles for no more than 3 years yet my Silverado is going on 18 years!
Old 01-08-19, 10:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
typically keep my Lexus/Toyota vehicles D
Only Toyota is on the top 10 list. Not Lexus. I would never buy a Toyota and not keep it for at least 10 years. So many other vehicles to buy that are better or cheaper. Would never ever lease a Toyota. Lexus yes, would lease, probably would not buy a modern model.
Old 01-08-19, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Only Toyota is on the top 10 list. Not Lexus. I would never buy a Toyota and not keep it for at least 10 years. So many other vehicles to buy that are better or cheaper. Would never ever lease a Toyota. Lexus yes, would lease, probably would not buy a modern model.
The reason for that is because a much larger % of Lexus vehicles are leased vs Toyota vehicles (as is the case with all luxury cars). I wouldn't infer its because Lexus vehicles are less reliable.

If you would buy a Toyota no reason not to buy a Lexus.

Quick Reply: New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer