Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Seems anybody can claim reliability these days. I wouldn't look too deep into this 'new study'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xrEGkIdWs

That kind of ad isn't exactly new.

Old 01-06-19, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
trying to untangle this for myself at least... the survey to me shows that people who buy cars with an intent to keep them for 15+ years buy toyotas and hondas because of their well-earned reputation for reliability. so obviously there's more toyotas/hondas in the results.
Thats exactly what it tells me too.
Old 01-06-19, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I think is being overlooked, in this thread, are those who don't replace their vehicles for a long period of time, not because of vehicle-reliability issues, but because they either cannot afford to, are too cheap to do so, or simply spend a lot of their money on other things (expensive clothes, vacations, furniture, etc....). That is not necessarily matter of whether they are driving Toyotas/Hondas or not (they could be stuck with an unreliable Fiat or Land Rover, for that matter), but because they choose simply to just keep on making repairs and driving it (or driving it with needed repairs not done for monetary reasons, which can be risky). Not all states have yearly-inspection laws which force needed repairs, or the vehicle is rejected. These vehicles may not be on the official fifteen-year list because they may finally die a little before that, in 10-14 years, with their owners having no choice but to replace them.
Old 01-06-19, 05:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

yes, because owners of those cars don't have the same drivers as buyers of toyotas and hondas who WANT to keep cars for decades. the survey is circular... non toyota/honda models don't show on the survey because people who buy those aren't the same kind of people. but as i pointed out, there ARE other model brands in suvs - i guess the 10 year warranty on sorrento makes people content to keep those longer and attracts long term buyers.

what does that mean?

toyota/honda have shown to be more reliable yes, but 15+ years of ownership doesn't actually indicate more reliable... if someone buys a non-toyota/honda, sells it after 8 years, and the next person has it for 8 more, it doesn't mean that vehicle was any less reliable than the toyonda buyer who kept it for 16 years. it means toyonda buyers were 'happy' to keep the vehicles a long time.

but i'm not denying to reputation or even reality that toyota/honda vehicles are VERY reliable. i am saying the gap is nowhere near as big as it used to be for one, and i am saying this survey is more about owner attitudes than anything.
i've had hondas (and acuras) and lexus, all extremely reliable, but there was no way in hell i wanted to keep them 15+ years no matter how reliable they were.

lexsctjill, no disrespect, but i think you like this survey because it represents you.
I don't think I once said reliability at all in this thread (perhaps I might of) However, I said that it is both buyer as well as product. My guess is that Toyota buyers are a little more older and a little more affluent than other mainstream brand buyers. It is quite a thing for an original buyer to keep a car 15 years. I myself have never kept a Toyota or Lexus that long as an original buyer. So the products that were being bought for this survey, must be quite satisfying.
Old 01-06-19, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I myself have never kept a Toyota or Lexus that long as an original buyer.
Your signature shows a 2004 4Runner and a 1996 Lexus LX (which would be 15 and 23 years old, respectively. That means, I take it, that you bought them used, not new?....or new, and simply did not keep them 15 years? You said, recently, though, that the 4 Runner had had a transfer-case problem and had a major repair...so I'd assume it is still in the family. And your signature does not list the Lexus CT you once owned, that you said you didn't like....I assume you didn't keep it very long. (don't blame you.....I didn't think much of the CT either).

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-19 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 06:10 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it's Consumer Reports that has done "cost of ownership" studies for numerous cars, where they go into considerable detail regarding depreciation, maintenance, insurance, and fuel. I think those studies show that Toyotas have the fewest mechanical issues, regardless of which type of person buys them.

And in addition it's more than just "lowest cost of repairs." Taking the car to the shop is an incredible hassle to me, so I would pay extra attention to this category because I have better things to do with my time. And if CR were to factor in the dollar value of that wasted time I think the reliable cars would be significantly cheaper to own. --Which is probably why folks billing their time at $500+ per hour want only new or nearly-new vehicles--they don't want to EVER see the inside of a dealer shop.
Old 01-06-19, 06:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your signature shows a 2004 4Runner and a 1996 Lexus LX (which would be 15 and 23 years old, respectively. That means, I take it, that you bought them used, not new?....or new, and simply did not keep them 15 years? You said, recently, though, that the 4 Runner had had a transfer-case problems...so I'd assume it is still in the family. And your signature does not list the Lexus CT you once owned, that you said you didn't like....I assume you didn't keep it very long. (don't blame you.....I didn't think much of the CT either).
Yes. Both my 4Runner and LX450 were not bought new. The 4Runner was bought off my mom and the LX was bought of a family friend who moved overseas.
Old 01-06-19, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
I think it's Consumer Reports that has done "cost of ownership" studies for numerous cars, where they go into considerable detail regarding depreciation, maintenance, insurance, and fuel. I think those studies show that Toyotas have the fewest mechanical issues, regardless of which type of person buys them.
It's not necessarily that Toyotas have the fewest mechanical issues, but that they have few major breakdowns....at least since the old 3.0L V6 engine-sludge problem. They do, however, have minor issues, just like any other vehicles. A friend of mine had had two Siennas in a row with problems, though they were not of the type that would leave you stranded. And my own Lexus IS300 had some minor issues as well. 2006 Camry V6s also had transmission problems.
Old 01-06-19, 07:45 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprised by this list going by the number of older high mileage Toyota’s you see running around. It will be interesting to see if the CRV continues to be on this list in future with the new turbocharged engine, i have my doubts.
Old 01-06-19, 08:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing I think is being overlooked, in this thread, are those who don't replace their vehicles for a long period of time, not because of vehicle-reliability issues, but because they either cannot afford to, are too cheap to do so, or simply spend a lot of their money on other things (expensive clothes, vacations, furniture, etc....). That is not necessarily matter of whether they are driving Toyotas/Hondas or not (they could be stuck with an unreliable Fiat or Land Rover, for that matter), but because they choose simply to just keep on making repairs and driving it (or driving it with needed repairs not done for monetary reasons, which can be risky). Not all states have yearly-inspection laws which force needed repairs, or the vehicle is rejected. These vehicles may not be on the official fifteen-year list because they may finally die a little before that, in 10-14 years, with their owners having no choice but to replace them.
Some people don't see a value in replacing good cars as long as they stay good, regardless of how much money they have.
Old 01-06-19, 09:02 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the study simply determines that it's most likely that if you buy a car with the intention to keep it for 15 or so years, you're going to naturally gravitate to what history shows as the brand with the best longevity. That's inarguably Toyota as a whole. If one is inclined to keep a car for a very long time, are you going to buy a Dodge? That wouldn't be too rational.

On the flip side, you could make a list that states which brands are most likely to be kept for 3 years or less. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi would populate the list.

​​
​​​​​​

​​​

Old 01-07-19, 04:05 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

A lot of these vehicles could also be 'hand-me-downs', too good/trouble-free to sell, so the son/daughter gets it. We have an '04 RX that was kept, trading in a Nissan. My brother has a Civic, around an '05, that his son uses for college, and if still going strong, the next kid will get it. I'm sure if someone has a vehicle that is troublesome, they would trade it in instead of giving to someone else in the family.
Old 01-07-19, 04:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd rather spend 15 years in a prison than most of these miserable vehicles.
Old 01-07-19, 05:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think I once said reliability at all in this thread (perhaps I might of) However, I said that it is both buyer as well as product. My guess is that Toyota buyers are a little more older and a little more affluent than other mainstream brand buyers.
sounds about right.
Old 01-07-19, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'd rather spend 15 years in a prison than most of these miserable vehicles.
haha, have to say, i can't imagine owning ANY car 15 years. life is too short not to try many things!

Quick Reply: New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer