Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer

Old 01-05-19, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Fair point. So if that is the case, then there should be some non Toyota or Honda models. Looks like Toyota and Honda have a slightly different buyer than that other brands.
Can’t follow your logic sorry
because hondas and toyotas are very reliable, they are bought more by people who value those things i mentioned. Many other brands are not considered as reliable (even though i think that is largely a thing of the past) and are thus not bought by people who don’t like change, are fiscally conservative, etc.

regardless the ‘study’ is of cars bought from 1981 to 2003 (last year being 15 years ago)... so it’s a study looking way down the road in the past... with millennials changing their minds every 2 seconds and driving marketing departments bonkers, i don’t think this survey holds much value going forward.
Old 01-05-19, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Some people want the cars to last forever so they buy the most reliable makes. Others want a car for 5-7 years so they buy anything that has a warranty that long.
Ding, ding, ding.

I like Toyota products but would never keep a car longer than 7 years.
yup, agreed.
Old 01-06-19, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Can’t follow your logic sorry
because hondas and toyotas are very reliable, they are bought more by people who value those things i mentioned. Many other brands are not considered as reliable (even though i think that is largely a thing of the past) and are thus not bought by people who don’t like change, are fiscally conservative, etc.

regardless the ‘study’ is of cars bought from 1981 to 2003 (last year being 15 years ago)... so it’s a study looking way down the road in the past... with millennials changing their minds every 2 seconds and driving marketing departments bonkers, i don’t think this survey holds much value going forward.
Exactly. The study would have merit if people only replaced their cars because they needed too much repair. Thats actually the total opposite, most people replace their cars because they want a new and different car, not because it needs too much repair. "Too much repair" is often used as an excuse, but if you look at whats going on it isn't anywhere near enough to justify the purchase of a new car financially.

Cars like these tend to be bought by people who intend to keep them a longer than average time because of their reputation, but that doesn't mean other cars couldn't be kept as long a time if the people who bought them decided to do that.
Old 01-06-19, 09:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Cars like these tend to be bought by people who intend to keep them a longer than average time because of their reputation, but that doesn't mean other cars couldn't be kept as long a time if the people who bought them decided to do that.
Other cars are not being kept as long by buyers. Toyota and Honda have a slightly different first year buyer however the product is better than competitors at keeping owners happy for 15 years
Old 01-06-19, 09:27 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Glad to see the list is basically all Toyota-made products. I've decided to keep my GS once the lease ends and will probably hold onto it indefinitely. It won't be my primary car but I love it too much to get rid of it. It'll eventually become my little workhorse Being that it's a Lexus and knowing this early on that it is most likely to give me 10+ years of trouble-free miles makes for excellent peace of mind.
Old 01-06-19, 09:30 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

My parents' Sequoia is turning 16 and passed 250k miles last year. It's showing its age but it won't die!
Old 01-06-19, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Other cars are not being kept as long by buyers.
yes, because owners of those cars don't have the same drivers as buyers of toyotas and hondas who WANT to keep cars for decades. the survey is circular... non toyota/honda models don't show on the survey because people who buy those aren't the same kind of people. but as i pointed out, there ARE other model brands in suvs - i guess the 10 year warranty on sorrento makes people content to keep those longer and attracts long term buyers.

Toyota and Honda have a slightly different first year buyer
what does that mean?

however the product is better than competitors at keeping owners happy for 15 years
toyota/honda have shown to be more reliable yes, but 15+ years of ownership doesn't actually indicate more reliable... if someone buys a non-toyota/honda, sells it after 8 years, and the next person has it for 8 more, it doesn't mean that vehicle was any less reliable than the toyonda buyer who kept it for 16 years. it means toyonda buyers were 'happy' to keep the vehicles a long time.

but i'm not denying to reputation or even reality that toyota/honda vehicles are VERY reliable. i am saying the gap is nowhere near as big as it used to be for one, and i am saying this survey is more about owner attitudes than anything.
Old 01-06-19, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i've had hondas (and acuras) and lexus, all extremely reliable, but there was no way in hell i wanted to keep them 15+ years no matter how reliable they were.

lexsctjill, no disrespect, but i think you like this survey because it represents you.
Old 01-06-19, 01:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 292 Posts

You only have to look at what was on the market in 2003 to get a sense of what it would be like driving a 2019 car in 2034 - with the obvious caveat that the gulf between a 2034 model year car and a 2019 in terms of technology, performance, economy etc will likely be orders of magnitude greater than the already significant gulf between what we were driving in 2003 and what we're driving now in 2019.

That's why this model wouldn't work for me. I couldn't live with a 2003 today, and I won't be interested in a 2019 in 2034.

Each to their own.

There's an economic case to buy and drive a car until the wheels fall off, but then again some can make an economic case for living like a hermit and ending up as the wealthiest person in the cemetery....
Old 01-06-19, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, because owners of those cars don't have the same drivers as buyers of toyotas and hondas who WANT to keep cars for decades. the survey is circular... non toyota/honda models don't show on the survey because people who buy those aren't the same kind of people. but as i pointed out, there ARE other model brands in suvs - i guess the 10 year warranty on sorrento makes people content to keep those longer and attracts long term buyers.
Exactly, you cant necessarily infer from the results that Toyota vehicles are kept longer because they are more reliable.
Old 01-06-19, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
There's an economic case to buy and drive a car until the wheels fall off, but then again some can make an economic case for living like a hermit and ending up as the wealthiest person in the cemetery....
ROFL... great post!

was talking to someone recently about travel and how many people 'wait until retirement' for all that planned travel, only to never make it, or end up with health issues (like my Mom) and can't do it, regretting they waited so long. that's why i travel, even if it's expensive, and time-consuming... but i find it rewarding, and don't know if i will be able to later...
Old 01-06-19, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, great post!
Old 01-06-19, 01:42 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You only have to look at what was on the market in 2003 to get a sense of what it would be like driving a 2019 car in 2034 - with the obvious caveat that the gulf between a 2034 model year car and a 2019 in terms of technology, performance, economy etc will likely be orders of magnitude greater than the already significant gulf between what we were driving in 2003 and what we're driving now in 2019.

That's why this model wouldn't work for me. I couldn't live with a 2003 today, and I won't be interested in a 2019 in 2034.

Each to their own.

I agree with you, but I think it'll be even more dramatic of a difference considering the rate of which today's vehicles are advancing. I recently watched a video produced by BMW and recall them mentioning that in the next 10 years, the automotive industry will see more change than we've seen in the last 30 years combined which makes sense. Cars today are technology first, machines second (if that makes any sense) and the rate at which technology evolves is exponential.

Will be interesting to see what they meant by that comment as time goes on.
Old 01-06-19, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly, you cant necessarily infer from the results that Toyota vehicles are kept longer because they are more reliable.
trying to untangle this for myself at least... the survey to me shows that people who buy cars with an intent to keep them for 15+ years buy toyotas and hondas because of their well-earned reputation for reliability. so obviously there's more toyotas/hondas in the results.
Old 01-06-19, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Seems anybody can claim reliability these days. I wouldn't look too deep into this 'new study'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer