Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which Car Should I Buy? Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 10:02 AM
HurryUpBuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Car Should I Buy? Help Needed!

First time car buyer here. Have lived in the city for years and never had a need/desire to own a car. That is now changing. I have done a lot of research but am unsure of what car to buy. All advice is welcome. I love driving. Car will be MOSTLY. weekend car though that may change to daily driver at some point. What I am looking for:

-Wont buy new. Depreciation way too much for me, sorry.
-Size: sedan, possibly smaller SUV. Not a fan of driving SUVs but would go for the right deal.
-Quality: needs to be there. Not a car brand snob but looking for comfort and luxury.
-Speed: want something fast. Mustang GT most fun I have had in a car, though it's much to small for what I need.
-Reliability: big knock on European cars and something I would kick myself about. Love the look of Audi and BMW drive great but it would need to be the right deal topple the trigger.
*Caveat here is I am expecting to be sick of the car and looking to trade it in after ~4 years or so. So assuming it can last and not broke before than, it just needs to have decent value still.
-Looks: Not overly flashy, prefer something more reserved though not boring.
-Price: looking at $45k range max.

Any thoughts? Would love a Lexus though unsure about the models aside from GS F (which I love though its expensive). Any insight on other models that have some real power? Audi A6/S6 and BMW 550I also.

All advice appreciated!
Old 12-12-18, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You may be able to get a '16 GS F for around $45k with a bit of work (searching, negotiating).

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/754153139/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7317/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1659/overview/
Old 12-12-18, 01:36 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Since reliability is a concern:

-Lexus GS350 Fsport trim
-Chevy SS
-Kia Stinger GT
-Infiniti Q70 3.0T
-Hyundai Genesis 5.0

Possibly less reliable options, but great choices if you get an extended warranty:

-BMW 550i
-Mercedes C450/E550
-Audi S6

If you are a guy, get a sedan, don’t go the little suv trend.
Old 12-12-18, 01:40 PM
mmalik
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2007 LS460 with 178K miles and still going strong. Still quiet like it was the first day and no reliability issue, ever! It is a V8 engine, but on the highway I give about 30MPG. City is about 20 - 22 MPG. It is not an suv but you can find one that is all wheel drive.
Now if you really like the LS460 but don't like that it is a combustion engine, try the LS600h L AWD (yes, i said it, it is a v8 5.7L lexus hybrid long wheel base all wheel drive sedan). Now we are talking about the top of the top sedans produce by Lexus. God knows the moment I hit 200K on my current LS460, i'll replace it with an LS600h L AWD.

Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding.
Old 12-12-18, 02:15 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,805 Posts

To be honest, the GS F sounds like it's right in the ball park of what you want, as long as the price works for you. Naturally they haven't depreciated as much as some of the other options. If you don't need quite that level of acceleration, I'd think a CPO GS 350 would represent a much better value.

That being said, I can vouch for TXgearhead's recommendation of the Genesis (or, G80) 5.0. Fantastic car. It's comfortable, quick, and looks expensive but understated. So it also fits the bill nicely. It might not be as quick as your Mustang GT, but it gets up and goes nicely for something that weighs around 4500 pounds. The Sport trim is also intriguing, as it's a bit more distinctive. I haven't driven one of those however.

I also might say the A6 is a good pick. It is going to age well, looks wise, in my humble opinion, and it also has that expensive but understated style. It'll probably be more reliable than the other Germans if Consumer Reports is to be trusted, anyway...
Old 12-12-18, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
If you are a guy, get a sedan, don’t go the little suv trend.
Disagree. That's your subjective opinion. There are plenty of men out there and on this forum who have owned or currently own a truck or SUV and like them. If you are an automotive enthusiast drive what you want.
Old 12-12-18, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

For where you live in Massachusetts and its severe winters, if you are going to look at a potential daily driver (even if it is only a weekend or fun car for now), I'd recommend AWD, or FWD at the least. A good AWD sedan with some kick, that is also reasonably reliable (the turbo engine has not has as many head-gasket problems as the non-turbo versions) is the Subaru Legacy GT. They stopped selling it in the American market several years ago, but you might be able to find a used one, though it might take some hunting. Subaru does what is arguably the best AWD system on the market. Keep in mind, though, that any high-performance car, especially if owned by a younger person, is likely to have been driven hard.
Old 12-12-18, 06:56 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Disagree. That's your subjective opinion. There are plenty of men out there and on this forum who have owned or currently own a truck or SUV and like them. If you are an automotive enthusiast drive what you want.
Correct. Almost everything we post is an opinion. With that said, small SUVs/crossovers like OP mentioned are for old people that can’t sit down in a car comfortably and moms with young kids. (My opinion again). I have nothing against full size SUVs or trucks as they serve a purpose that a sedan can’t.

OP also mentioned, “Speed: want something fast. Mustang GT most fun I have had in a car, though it's much to small for what I need.” How many sub $45k SUVs that are reliable fit the bill there? I can’t thing of any.
Old 12-12-18, 07:56 PM
HurryUpBuy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your responses so far! Greatly appreciated.

Lexus GS F and Lexus GS 350 F Sport AWD seem like real possibilities. BMW 550i, X5, and Audi A/S6 also. Would be interested in any real information regarding the actual reliability and maintain costs of BMW and Audis. Thanks in advance.

Since reliability is a concern:

-Lexus GS350 Fsport trim: Would like to test this one, but claim it is slow? I don't need 4.5 acceleration but really don't want something that feels like a slug. Like that they offer AWD as well.
-Chevy SS: don't know this one
-Kia Stinger GT: would like to test, though it's a Kia - unsure of long term issues?
-Infiniti Q70 3.0T: Have tested these before, OK, not my fave or most hated
-Hyundai Genesis 5.0: never driven, would explore

Possibly less reliable options, but great choices if you get an extended warranty:

-BMW 550i- will look into but needs to be the right deal as these depreciate quick and have a terrible reliability reputation. Also uneasy about stigma of BMW drivers. Would need to be really impressed by the driving performance.
-Mercedes C450/E550: Don't know anything about this and will explore.
-Audi S6: probably my favorite overall car but usually expensive and only test drove once. Also see BMW 550i response.

If you are a guy, get a sedan, don’t go the little suv trend. BMW X5 drove and looks great IMO though again....same issues as above.
Originally Posted by arentz07
To be honest, the GS F sounds like it's right in the ball park of what you want, as long as the price works for you. Naturally they haven't depreciated as much as some of the other options. If you don't need quite that level of acceleration, I'd think a CPO GS 350 would represent a much better value.

I would love the GS F, I expect this to be my top choice though will need to find the right deal. Also - word is that it may be discontinued, what effects would this have long term on folks who have already purchased?

That being said, I can vouch for TXgearhead's recommendation of the Genesis (or, G80) 5.0. Fantastic car. It's comfortable, quick, and looks expensive but understated. So it also fits the bill nicely. It might not be as quick as your Mustang GT, but it gets up and goes nicely for something that weighs around 4500 pounds. The Sport trim is also intriguing, as it's a bit more distinctive. I haven't driven one of those however.

I will have to look into this one.

I also might say the A6 is a good pick. It is going to age well, looks wise, in my humble opinion, and it also has that expensive but understated style. It'll probably be more reliable than the other Germans if Consumer Reports is to be trusted, anyway...
I will look into this as well. Look of Audi's is perfect my for my taste, it's just the other concerns that deter me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For where you live in Massachusetts and its severe winters, if you are going to look at a potential daily driver (even if it is only a weekend or fun car for now), I'd recommend AWD, or FWD at the least. A good AWD sedan with some kick, that is also reasonably reliable (the turbo engine has not has as many head-gasket problems as the non-turbo versions) is the Subaru Legacy GT. They stopped selling it in the American market several years ago, but you might be able to find a used one, though it might take some hunting. Subaru does what is arguably the best AWD system on the market. Keep in mind, though, that any high-performance car, especially if owned by a younger person, is likely to have been driven hard.
Yes, absolutely true. The Lexus GS 350 F Sport offers AWD I believe.

Only worth noting that on average, how many real commutes would require AWD in my area? Maybe 12-15 per year? This is a noteworthy but not top priority item for me.

Correct. Almost everything we post is an opinion. With that said, small SUVs/crossovers like OP mentioned are for old people that can’t sit down in a car comfortably and moms with young kids. (My opinion again). I have nothing against full size SUVs or trucks as they serve a purpose that a sedan can’t.

OP also mentioned, “Speed: want something fast. Mustang GT most fun I have had in a car, though it's much to small for what I need.” How many sub $45k SUVs that are reliable fit the bill there? I can’t thing of any.
I do like the BMW X5. It is probably the only one I would consider TBH.
Old 12-12-18, 08:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Do NOT Buy a used 550i if you want Reliability.
The N63 V8 is known to have issues.

The 535i with the N55 are extremely reliable on the other hand.
That would be my choice - MY 2016 was the last year for previous generation. You can get a CPO for $35k.

You can also look at the Used F10 M5 - its a rocket ship.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-12-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 09:41 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HurryUpBuy
Thank you everyone for your responses so far! Greatly appreciated.

Lexus GS F and Lexus GS 350 F Sport AWD seem like real possibilities. BMW 550i, X5, and Audi A/S6 also. Would be interested in any real information regarding the actual reliability and maintain costs of BMW and Audis. Thanks in advance.

I will look into this as well. Look of Audi's is perfect my for my taste, it's just the other concerns that deter me.

Yes, absolutely true. The Lexus GS 350 F Sport offers AWD I believe.

Only worth noting that on average, how many real commutes would require AWD in my area? Maybe 12-15 per year? This is a noteworthy but not top priority item for me.

I do like the BMW X5. It is probably the only one I would consider TBH.
I thought your were only looking at “small” SUVs. X5 is a nice vehicle. A used Cayenne with an extended warranty is another good option imo.
Old 12-13-18, 05:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't know what your demographic is, but I find that a lot of folks I work with that are young, say 25-35 (haha) have zero interest in a car payment. One guy said he just spent $299 on sunglasses, and his boss and everyone else were saying are you nuts? wth is wrong with you? I was going to interject then I remembered what my mom told me, you have to have different faces with different people. I've spent $800 on sunglasses, and just picked up another pair last week for $600. So what I am saying is since you've never owned a car before, I'm assuming you're younger, and may not want to spend as much as you might think (buyer's remorse could set in).

The cars you mention, A6 and 550i, I have colleagues who drive them. They are in their mid 30's, and "stepped up" from the A4 and 335i. Two people in mind regret getting the cars stating they drive like large cars and are not fun like the ones they replaced.

If I were in your shoes the problem I have these days is the zero feel steering on many cars, I can't get over that. But if you can, then I get emails all the time on BMW 3's that are service loaners. They still have factory warranty, and the CPO warranty (be careful a lot is excluded), and the prices do get my attention. Like a $57k list car for $40k, etc. I am sure Audi, and all the premium makes must have similar deals. From memory the mileages weren't even high, 6k to 11k etc.?

jmo fun is probably a smaller and tighter German car, and seems like depreciation on service loaners is steep, yet they are under warranty and CPOs to boot, I'd check them out. Good luck.
Old 12-13-18, 06:13 AM
HurryUpBuy
Driver School Candidate

I thought your were only looking at “small” SUVs. X5 is a nice vehicle. A used Cayenne with an extended warranty is another good option imo.
I don't see the BMW X5 as a large SUV, at least in my eyes. Something like an Escalde or large truck feels too big for me, worry I'd get in lots of accidents.
Old 12-13-18, 07:41 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HurryUpBuy
I don't see the BMW X5 as a large SUV, at least in my eyes. Something like an Escalde or large truck feels too big for me, worry I'd get in lots of accidents.
The X5 is classified as midsize. I’m just not a fan of small SUV/crossovers like the NX.
Old 12-13-18, 08:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The X5 is classified as midsize. I’m just not a fan of small SUV/crossovers like the NX.
Small CUVs were considered chic cars in the past (i.e. Rav4, CRVs) but the demographic is shifting to a more balanced ratio, however, small SUVs/CUVs are for the most part are slow and can't handle as well. Sure there are exceptions but the car counterparts are faaaar better for handling and speed. I believe the OP thinks Mustangs are fun...not many small SUVs that have that type of speed at $45k

Quick Reply: Which Car Should I Buy? Help Needed!