Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Always those midget cars - sick of it

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 09:38 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Always those midget cars - sick of it

What have those cars in common ?

????

They are all designed for mid-sized peoples. It's a litteral pain in the @ to find ONE car, that has plenty of headroom and has a sporty character. It's like finding a unicorn. I'm just 1m95 tall. It's not too much, but I'm over the standard for nearly 80% of the cars.

And it's mostly one of the things I like about my dream car :

Plenty of room for the head, near to the ground, sporty, comfortable.

Do you also have this problem ?
Did you found alternative cars ?
Old 12-12-18, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

LOL why the inclusion of the IS300 SportCross when all the other's you posted are 14 years newer hah. Plus you guys have it worse in Europe than we do in the US. We have Expeditions and Suburbans if you want us to ship you one.
Old 12-12-18, 10:28 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

We're about the same height. I don't feel like I have too many issues with most cars however I do have issues with my GS. It took me a literal year of ownership before I finally found a position that was super comfortable and accommodated my head/hair. I think this is due to the seat not being able to go low enough however as I have miles of headroom in an IS. I just went to the LA auto show and sat in all sorts of cars and didn't have any issues tbh.

For this reason, driving around in an SUV loaner whenever I get them is such a walk in the park for me, but that said, I wouldn't want to permanently daily drive an SUV (unless it's the new G-Wagen hehe).
Old 12-12-18, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by signdetres
We're about the same height. I don't feel like I have too many issues with most cars however I do have issues with my GS. It took me a literal year of ownership before I finally found a position that was super comfortable and accommodated my head/hair. I think this is due to the seat not being able to go low enough however as I have miles of headroom in an IS.
That's because the 3IS came out after the 4GS. There is a contrast in seating position because the IS is more low slung thanks in part to the lower hip point.

Old 12-12-18, 11:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

that picture made me lol... who 'ideally' wants their knees at the same height as their chest?
Old 12-12-18, 11:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
We have Expeditions and Suburbans if you want us to ship you one.
um, benoit said 'sporty'...
Old 12-12-18, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that picture made me lol... who 'ideally' wants their knees at the same height as their chest?
LOL I think it's to demo the hip point. If one was driving they would move the front cushion height higher, and their legs would extend further towards the pedals
Old 12-12-18, 12:30 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

edit You didn't include the BMW 318ti.

LOL I just converted 1.95 m--that is not tall. So this was just kidding, right? If you were in the NHL, you'd be about average, but 20 yrs. ago, you'd be big.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 12-12-18 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 12:36 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
We're about the same height. I don't feel like I have too many issues with most cars however I do have issues with my GS. It took me a literal year of ownership before I finally found a position that was super comfortable and accommodated my head/hair. I think this is due to the seat not being able to go low enough however as I have miles of headroom in an IS. I just went to the LA auto show and sat in all sorts of cars and didn't have any issues tbh.

For this reason, driving around in an SUV loaner whenever I get them is such a walk in the park for me, but that said, I wouldn't want to permanently daily drive an SUV (unless it's the new G-Wagen hehe).
I would agree. I remember being a kid and if someone on a hockey team were 6'7" they were giants. Today, dang, there are goaltenders that are that height. One would think it's more of an issue if one were short. Now I don't know at what height that is, but I bet someone 4'3" has trouble getting comfortable in most modern cars.
Old 12-12-18, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll agree that Miata's aren't designed for most Shaq-O'Neill types, but I have to disagree on the IS300 and Kia Sportage. Me and my brother are both over 6' tall and well over 200 lbs (I'm actually heavier than he is). I owned an IS300 without a sunroof...for 5 years, and he owns the current generation Kia Sportage, just like the one in the picture. None of us had (or have) any problem, room-wise, in either vehicle.

But, even with the Miata, there are exceptions. Bitkahuna, for example, is taller than I am (though probably a lot slimmer)...and, even at his height, managed to drive around in a Miata for some time. The key to taller people driving a Miata is getting the seat back just right (it can't recline much without the bottom cushion moving forward), and one's long legs sideways around the steering wheel....left foot on the clutch; right one on the gas and brakes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 01:23 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 295 Posts

I have a heavily modified NC Miata 6MT and at 6'2" I fit OK and can still operate the clutch and heel/toe with reasonable ease.
Old 12-12-18, 01:25 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
What have those cars in common ?

They are all designed for mid-sized peoples. It's a litteral pain in the @ to find ONE car, that has plenty of headroom and has a sporty character. It's like finding a unicorn. I'm just 1m95 tall. It's not too much, but I'm over the standard for nearly 80% of the cars.

And it's mostly one of the things I like about my dream car :

Plenty of room for the head, near to the ground, sporty, comfortable.

Do you also have this problem ?
Did you found alternative cars ?
I know they are expensive, but my friend ran into the same issue. He is 6’ 7”. He has a Mercedes GTS as his sports car. They have tons of headroom for whatever reason. Wonderful car, but expensive and not terribly comfortable.
Old 12-12-18, 01:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

for tall people depends where the height is, in the legs or torso
Old 12-12-18, 01:27 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
edit You didn't include the BMW 318ti.

LOL I just converted 1.95 m--that is not tall. So this was just kidding, right? If you were in the NHL, you'd be about average, but 20 yrs. ago, you'd be big.
The average male height in the US is reportedly around 5'10", so anyone who is 1.95m, just a shade under 6'5", is by any reasonable measure pretty tall by US standards...

Last edited by swajames; 12-12-18 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 02:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I share the OP's pain. I'm also 6'4" and have always wanted a 'Vette, but can't fit in one comfortably. We were at the Mazda dealer recently and I tried to sit in a Miata they had in the showroom. It felt like I was trying to squeeze into my neighbor's kid's sidewalk toy electric car. I sat in an IS350 a few years ago and it seemed to fit me ok. It just isn't fast enough. The new Stinger fits really well, as I assume the G70 will, so those are on my radar if I ever decide I'm not too old for a sports car in the future.

Quick Reply: Always those midget cars - sick of it