Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has the quietest brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Or maybe the Navigator is quieter.
The dB reading I have is lower than what C&D published for the Navigator, that was the point of what I said. the dB reading doesn't tell you definitively which car will feel quieter inside, and my experience having driven all of these cars they're all very similar in regards to interior noise. The Navigator is very quiet, but coming from a very quiet car and having owned and driven many other very quiet cars, it didnt strike me as unusually quiet, or any quieter than what I drive every day.
Old 12-13-18, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Navigator is very quiet, but coming from a very quiet car and having owned and driven many other very quiet cars, it didnt strike me as unusually quiet, or any quieter than what I drive every day.
64 is pretty quiet. I have yet to see Car & Driver report a lower score, the 64 is for the reserve label and not the regular model. I am thinking Lincoln is quietest mainstream brand across all models.
Old 12-13-18, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

64 is pretty quiet. I have yet to see Car & Driver report a lower score, the 64 is for the reserve label and not the regular model. I am thinking Lincoln is quietest mainstream brand across all models.
Oh its very quiet, my point is they're all very quiet. Trim level isn't going to impact interior noise figures. The point is a dB reading isn't going to definitively tell you what car is going to feel quieter when you drive or ride in it. One car might seem quieter or louder even to other people depending on the frequency range of their hearing.

I've driven the Navigator, Continental, MKZ and MKC. The only one I would comment as being impressively quiet is the Navigator, so I wouldn't say that as a brand at all.

At one time I would have said it was Lexus, but not today. As far as Buick, the Lacrosse is quiet, the Enclave is pretty quiet but not extraordinarily so. Modern Volvos are very quiet.
Old 12-13-18, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oh its very quiet, my point is they're all very quiet. Trim level isn't going to impact interior noise figures.
The Navigator reserve is 64 and non reserve is 66. Trim level absolutely can affect sound levels.
Old 12-13-18, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Navigator reserve is 64 and non reserve is 66. Trim level absolutely can affect sound levels.
Those differences are also attributable to the road surface, the person or people in the car, the time of day, the temperature outside, weather, model and brand of tires, etc. If you drive around and use a dB meter (which I've done) you'll see how easily it can me impacted by several dB. Thats my point, you cant use a few dB between cars or tests as proof one car is quieter, its a measure that is near impossible to reliably take the same way and under the same set of variables every time.

There is nothing in the Navigator's literature that would suggest the Reserve would have more sound deadening than the lower trim. Why wouldnt they market that as they do in other vehicles?
Old 12-13-18, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

At one time I would have said it was Lexus, but not today. As far as Buick, the Lacrosse is quiet, the Enclave is pretty quiet but not extraordinarily so.
Even with the Lacrosse, which is indeed quiet, road surface can make a difference. You will definitely hear more tire-noise on porous/grainy asphalt or concrete....but, on traditional smooth asphalt, it is like a rolling tomb. You can hear some faint noise from the DI injection underhood when accelerating. I doubt if it equals the LS460 or Mercedes S550 in quietness, though....but you're talking 2-3 times the price.

The Verano, BTW, was also surprisingly quiet (its roof alone had five anti-noise layers in it, in addition to triple-sealed doors, double-paned glass, and special trunk insulation...but the 18" 45-series tires bumped and thumped over road imperfections, especially in the winter when the shock fluid was cold and the tire-rubber more stiff, and the Ecotec four made more noise than the Lacrosse's V6 when accelerating. Trump (before he ran for President), actually did Verano promotions extolling its quietness and how much he liked the car. I loved mine, even with its faults (and even with the Ecotec's oil consumption LOL)....it was the best-driving compact car I ever owned.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-18 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 07:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Those differences are also attributable to the road surface, the person or people in the car, the time of day, the temperature outside, weather, model and brand of tires, etc. If you drive around and use a dB meter (which I've done) you'll see how easily it can me impacted by several dB. Thats my point, you cant use a few dB between cars or tests as proof one car is quieter, its a measure that is near impossible to reliably take the same way and under the same set of variables every time.

?
You can certainly challenge the results and dispute them if that is what you want. For all we know, Car & Driver could be using the exact same roads for the test which is likely a very good possibility. Motorweek seems to use the same test track, so does CR with theirs. That being said, they measure the DB reading at the drivers ear height. Its nice to see Car & Driver as well as Motor Trend post interior decibel data which is difficult to find. This is published data which is nice to see, Car and Driver also publishes the weather data for the test and which track the test takes place. Other data such as tires and other things are reported. Most tests are done at test track CPG, whatever that means. They also do three test measurements.

For what its worth, from Car & Driver at 70MPH:

2013 Lexus LS600h 64DB
2018 Lincoln Navigator Reserve 66 DB
2013 Lexus 460 F-Sport 66DB
2019 Lexus LS500 F sport 66 DB
2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid 67DB
2018 Buick LaCrosse 68DB
2019 Toyota Avalon 68DB
2019 Lexus ES300h 70DB

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid 67DB
Was that on the gas engine or the electric? Or don't you know? With the electrics, you will probably hear less noise from under the hood, and more from other sources.

I sampled a new 2019 Avalon last week (base XLE model) with the easier-riding 17" 55-series tires, and, to my ears, it seemed almost as quiet as the Lacrosse's 18" 50-series...perhaps just a hair noisier. I will seriously consider an Avalon XLE, even with its cave-entrance grille and ski-ramp dash, if Mary Barra and her cronies won't make new Lacrosses available in the future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 07:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Was that on the gas engine or the electric? Or don't you know? With the electrics, you will probably hear less noise from under the hood, and more from other sources.
No idea. I didn't read the review. I just looked at the test data for reference.
Old 12-13-18, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can certainly challenge the results and dispute them if that is what you want. For all we know, Car & Driver could be using the exact same roads for the test which is likely a very good possibility. Motorweek seems to use the same test track, so does CR with theirs. That being said, they measure the DB reading at the drivers ear height. Its nice to see Car & Driver as well as Motor Trend post interior decibel data which is difficult to find. This is published data which is nice to see, Car and Driver also publishes the weather data for the test and which track the test takes place. Other data such as tires and other things are reported. Most tests are done at test track CPG, whatever that means. They also do three test measurements.
I'm not disputing their findings, I'm cautioning against the conclusions you're drawing from those findings. Within 1-3 dB you're not likely going to be able to tell the difference between the two cars, and one with the higher dB reading may even seem quieter depending on what frequency certain sounds are made at. Even on the same roads, temps have an impact, humidity has an impact, wind speed. Theres also the X factor of how quiet a vehicle is on an empty test track and how quiet it is out in traffic with ambient noise, etc. Thats when you see a real benefit from laminated glass for instance.

So, don't expect a car that reads 64dB to feel quieter than one at 66 dB. Thats my point.

Any car under 70 dB is very quiet.

2018 Lincoln Navigator Reserve 66 DB
I thought you said the Reserve was 64 dB?

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At speed in a hybrid the gas engine is always running. You won't be on electric power at 70MPH.

if Mary Barra and her cronies won't make new Lacrosses available in the future.

Even with the Lacrosse, which is indeed quiet, road surface can make a difference. You will definitely hear more tire-noise on porous/grainy asphalt or concrete....but, on traditional smooth asphalt, it is like a rolling tomb. You can hear some faint noise from the DI injection underhood when accelerating. I doubt if it equals the LS460 or Mercedes S550 in quietness, though....but you're talking 2-3 times the price.
You will hear differences in road surface in any car. LS and S Class are no different. When you change road surfaces the pitch of the road sound changes, and coarser pavement is of course louder than smoother pavement. Thats something that improves a lot as you go up the chain. ES vs GS vs LS for instance, the isolation from road surface noise is a big differentiator.

Old 12-13-18, 08:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No conclusions have been drawn. A discussion has been had. That was the whole point of the thread. It’s nice to see the Car & Driver uses what appears to be the same test track. Looks to me like Lincoln is the quietest brand, IMO. Disappointing that Lexus has a few models with about 70db reading and one of those cars is about $100K. As for 64, I will need to double check later.
Old 12-13-18, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No conclusions have been drawn.

This is a conclusion:

Looks to me like Lincoln is the quietest brand
If you have interest in learning how dB readings impact human perception of sound, google it. Plenty of stuff to read. Not going to keep bashing my head against the wall.
Old 12-13-18, 08:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

INot going to keep bashing my head against the wall.
Ok then.....just because you don’t agree with Car & Drivers data. .its nice to see Car and Driver post their date, I think Edmunds used to.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-18 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 08:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is a conclusion:
Well, nothing definitive has been made.Motortrend posts their data, so it will be interesting to see if aligns with same numbers of Car And Driver. However it looks like the Lincoln brand is in the sub 69db ratings across the range.
Old 12-13-18, 08:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ok then.....just because you don’t agree.

This is whats frustrating. You can't agree or disagree with facts. What I have posted about sound pressure readings (dB) and how they translate into perceived loudness or annoyance of sound vs frequency is fact, you can look it up yourself and educate yourself if you would like to.

.its nice to see Car and Driver post their date, I think Edmunds used to.
The reason publications don't post these numbers is because they are so subjective, difficult to duplicate and it makes comparison very difficult. For instance look up a car and look at all the interior noise level readings across publications. They're totally different. Edmunds said 56 for the LS600h, C&D says 64...for example...thats a HUGE difference. Best to rely on your own experience of driving or riding in a car to evaluate the noise level of the interior vs using a dB reading.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-18 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Who has the quietest brand?