Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has the quietest brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I fail to believe a cheaply made Chevy Malibu can achieve 65db especially with a crappy 1.5t
Pretty surprised myself.
Old 12-12-18, 01:22 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looking through the spec sheets at car and driver.

Lincoln Navigator black label comes in at 64db at 70mph which is one decibel quieter than the S class. 2db. less than the Lx570. Astonishing to see the Q7 at 64db as well. Lincoln Continental at 67db. Chevrolet Malibu 1.5t comes in at 65db. .

Could Lincoln really be the quietest brand? Really surprised to see the Navigator so low at 64.
Rolls Royce!
Old 12-12-18, 01:38 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Rolls Royce Ghost is supposed to be the quietest, if cost is no object. Sound proofing insulation alone accounts for three hundred lbs of its curb weight. The frequency of the noise and where it's coming from will determine a noisy or quiet vehicle you're riding in. There's tire noise, different road surfaces and noise that travels from the tire contact patch to the rim and to the body.

Apparently the Ghost's right rear seating position is the quietest and according to RR hype, the only sound you should be hearing in it absent of radio or background chatter inside it is the ticking analog clock.
Having been driven in that very seat a couple of times, I can say that "hype" is an accurate term. Now having said that, the Ghost is by far the quietest vehicle I have ever been in. You still hear things, but even your own voice is enough to drown out anything, at least at in-town speeds (say, 40 MPH or less). Haven't really been on the highway in one.

So yeah I think RR is obviously up there in terms of quietness, if not tops.
Old 12-12-18, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Oh ****, you said the "B" word...
It was going to be said sooner or later. Might as well deprive him of it for once LOL
Old 12-12-18, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

MMarshall, the only thing unsafe about EV's running quieter is the fact that people won't look up from their phones while they walk out into the middle of a busy city street.
Yes, that's part of it. Blind people, though, are not likely to be using cell phones...at least coventional ones.

Here's a good article on the subject.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/...estrian-safety

And anyway, this thread is about interior noise levels, not exterior. big difference bud.
True, but EVs are often quieter inside, too, depending on how much road noise you get.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh ****, you said the "B" word...
Yeah, that's just terrible. We shouldn't be doing that in Car Chat.
Old 12-12-18, 03:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, that's just terrible. We shouldn't be doing that in Car Chat.
"B-word"=BUICK!!!

Old 12-12-18, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

"B-word"=BUICK!!!

I just added an arcticle to my last post.......though it's not really a new article. I don't know if you saw it. It described the noise that EVs are now required to make at low speeds for pedestrians. I'll re-post it here.

Old 12-12-18, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I just added an arcticle to my last post.......though it's not really a new article. I don't know if you saw it. It described the noise that EVs are now required to make at low speeds for pedestrians. I'll re-post it here.

So it looks like you were right in a earlier posts about adding alerts to EVs.
Old 12-12-18, 06:50 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Rolls Royce Ghost is supposed to be the quietest, if cost is no object. Sound proofing insulation alone accounts for three hundred lbs of its curb weight. The frequency of the noise and where it's coming from will determine a noisy or quiet vehicle you're riding in. There's tire noise, different road surfaces and noise that travels from the tire contact patch to the rim and to the body.

Apparently the Ghost's right rear seating position is the quietest and according to RR hype, the only sound you should be hearing in it absent of radio or background chatter inside it is the ticking analog clock.

But for a more sensible ride, the LS430 might qualify as quiet. The LS460 has more direct injection clatter at idle apparently. The big Buick and Lincoln sedans should be quiet.
Think you have the Ghost confused with the Phantom VIII.
Old 12-13-18, 06:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, that's part of it. Blind people, though, are not likely to be using cell phones...at least coventional ones.
What's the difference between a blind person and a person walking while constantly looking at his phone?

Old 12-13-18, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
What's the difference between a blind person and a person walking while constantly looking at his phone?

If a person has his or her head down, looking a a phone, and hears a noise nearby, he or she can raise their head and see where that noise (or car) is coming from. That ability is greatly reduced with a blind person, though they can often tell what direction a noise is coming from.....sometimes, in blind people, their hearing is quite acute to compensate from their vision loss. And, if they have a Seeing-Eye Dog, those dogs are trained to spot danger and halt their Master.
Old 12-13-18, 12:29 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

If a person has his or her head down, looking a a phone, and hears a noise nearby, he or she can raise their head and see where that noise (or car) is coming from. That ability is greatly reduced with a blind person, though they can often tell what direction a noise is coming from.....sometimes, in blind people, their hearing is quite acute to compensate from their vision loss. And, if they have a Seeing-Eye Dog, those dogs are trained to spot danger and halt their Master.
The answer is both are blind. The difference is blind people actually pays attention to their surroundings and they usually have a walking guide dog.
Old 12-13-18, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looking through the spec sheets at car and driver.

Lincoln Navigator black label comes in at 64db at 70mph which is one decibel quieter than the S class. 2db. less than the Lx570. Astonishing to see the Q7 at 64db as well. Lincoln Continental at 67db. Chevrolet Malibu 1.5t comes in at 65db. .

Could Lincoln really be the quietest brand? Really surprised to see the Navigator so low at 64.
This is something I've done a fair amount of research into because I too was interested in it. Quietness is one of the most important attributes to me in a car.

dB readings only tell you so much. dB readings measure intensity of sound, but frequency matters a lot too. There are also different weightings of dB readings, dBA, etc. It also varies dramatically based on the sound meter, and the road surface, other traffic around, etc.

For instance, I have a dB meter and it reads 58 dB in my LS at 70 MPH on a highway. Does that mean its quieter than a Navigator? Not necessarily.

Having driven all of these cars multiple times, and myself driving what is referred to as one of the quietest cars made I can tell you, nowadays all of these cars are pretty much as equally quiet. An S Class doesn't feel quieter than my LS, nor does a Navigator...no louder either.
Old 12-13-18, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Does that mean its quieter than a Navigator? Not necessarily.
Or maybe the Navigator is quieter.

Quick Reply: Who has the quietest brand?