Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Who has the quietest brand?

Old 12-14-18, 08:07 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At Lincoln, they are trying very hard to overcome their past reputation of being just Fords with a little more wood and leather.
But the Ford brands -- including and especially the Lincoln brand -- have long been known to be very quiet cars. If there is any legacy to be maintained in the modern Lincoln, I would think that the reputation for producing especially quiet cars is one feature that should be maintained.
Old 12-14-18, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Some people like to call this guy King Alex. I dont quite agree. But here is Alex n Autos ratings. He has not explained his method of how he acquired the data, it would nice to know how he came to his measurements.

http://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/

Here is another article with a little better method.

https://www.carmag.co.za/technical/t...hicles-tested/

Haven't had the chance to read this one just yet.

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/fight-...rious-silence/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-14-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Some people like to call this guy King Alex. I dont quite agree. But here is Alex n Autos ratings. He has not method of how he acquired the data, it would nice to know how he came to his measurements.

http://alexonautos.com/cabin-noise/

Here is another article with a little better method.

https://www.carmag.co.za/technical/t...hicles-tested/

Haven't had the chance to read this one just yet.

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/fight-...rious-silence/

Apples and Oranges. Alex is a superb auto reviewer, but that doesn't necessarily make him a good sound-engineer. And the CarMag article you posted tested only three vehicles.
Old 12-14-18, 07:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Apples and Oranges. Alex is a superb auto reviewer, but that doesn't necessarily make him a good sound-engineer. And the CarMag article you posted tested only three vehicles.
What positive information did you draw from any of these articles? I found the idea that highway forces pull the doors to allow sound to enter to be of note. Also liked the article that explained the method.
Old 12-14-18, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill;10384573[left
What positive information did you draw from any of these articles? I found the idea that highway forces pull the doors to allow sound to enter to be of note. Also liked the article that explained the method.
I found the first (Alex's) and third articles better than the second one. The last one did a good job of expelling NVH control in detail, and Alex's did a good job of showing how it is working in specific vehicles. It also told me something that I had already figured out with my own ears.....the Lacrosse 3.6L V6 model (which I have), at a highway-cruise 67 DB level, is equalled by a few vehicles (some of them at a far higher price) but exceeded by none of the ones Alex listed except one version of the BMW X5, at 66 DB.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Above the chart where I got the idea to start this thread. As you can see, the Navigator L reserve dials in with an impressive 64db rating.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...assenger-space
Old 12-14-18, 08:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I found the first (Alex's) and third articles better than the second one. The last one did a good job of expelling NVH control in detail, and Alex's did a good job of showing how it is working in specific vehicles. It also told me something that I had already figured out with my own ears.....the Lacrosse 3.6L V6 model (which I have), at a highway-cruise 67 DB level, is equalled by a few vehicles (some of them at a far higher price) but exceeded by none of the ones Alex listed except one version of the BMW X5, at 66 DB.
Yes, I noticed the Buick Lacrosse numbers as well. Very impressed. But that was for the 2015 design.
Old 12-14-18, 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Above the chart where I got the idea to start this thread. As you can see, the Navigator L reserve dials in with an impressive 64db rating.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...assenger-space

Haven't sampled the latest Navigator yet on the road, but I was very impressed with it at the D.C. auto show. This has my curiosity up, though. I might have to try it on the road.
Old 12-14-18, 09:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't sampled the latest Navigator yet on the road, but I was very impressed with it at the D.C. auto show. This has my curiosity up, though. I might have to try it on the road.
Do the Black Label model. The reserve comes in at 66
Old 12-16-18, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Why don’t you summarize it? He mentioned road surfaces might be different, however I read Car and Driver uses the same track. He said you can’t engineer our bias, I read Car and Driver just stated measured DB levels at drivers ear level. He mentioned sound pressures, but I don’t see any automotive literature backing it up, as all of us on here are not sound engineers it would be nice to see some thing expanding on those claims, and being directly related to interior sound levels.

What is there to summarize? I explained it fully, it depends on what frequencies the sounds are at, whether or not your hearing will pick them up or not. So, two vehicles with the same sound pressure readings (decibels), one very well may seem louder because the interior noises are at a higher frequency than the other.

Like I said, this thread is supposed to be a fun discussion. My guess is the Navigator is one of quietest mainstream vehicles on the road.
Not sure how offering context to sound readings makes it not a fun discussion.

No doubt the Navigator is one of the quietest vehicles on the road.
Old 12-16-18, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No doubt the Navigator is one of the quietest vehicles on the road.

It had better be. They are charging a arm and a leg for it. It's possible to spend 100K or more on a Black Label version.
Old 12-16-18, 10:09 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

It had better be. They are charging a arm and a leg for it. It's possible to spend 100K or more on a Black Label version.
It is actually priced to compete with the Cadillac Escalade, so $98K is not out of line. It starts at $73K and you can get one nicely equipped for about $80K. That puts the Navigator in the same price range as the LS500. It is, after all, Lincoln's flagship.
Old 12-17-18, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
It is actually priced to compete with the Cadillac Escalade, so $98K is not out of line. It starts at $73K and you can get one nicely equipped for about $80K. That puts the Navigator in the same price range as the LS500. It is, after all, Lincoln's flagship.
Yes, I was not implying that the Escalade is inexpensive, either. The Escalade, especially, is a magnet to car-thieves. Cops use a specially-equipped one on the Bait Car series (if you have ever watched it) to attract and nab those thieves. But I'd bet, with time, as the word gets out among the not-so-honest community about now nice the latest Navigator is, that it replaces the Escalade as the Choice of Bling among that crowd, though, of course, Ford's latest anti-theft features from the factory will make that more difficult.
Old 01-07-19, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Did a little experiment today which I thought was fun. So, I just helped my friend buy a 2016 CPO ES350, was in his old 2011 Accord, the 2016 ES350, 2019 ES350 and my 2017 LS460L along the same stretch of roadway throughout the day, I used my phone dB meter app to take some measurements. All readings are dB(A), and at 70 MPH along the same stretch of highway

2017 LS460L: 58 dB
2016 ES350 UL: 62 dB
2019 ES350: 62 dB
2011 Honda Accord: 70 dB
Old 01-08-19, 04:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

looks about right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has the quietest brand?