Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1982 Pontiac 1000 review

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Cool 1982 Pontiac 1000 review

I was looking for Motor Week videos and came across this gem.

the pontiac 1000 was made by general motors as a 'premium' version of the chevrolet division's chevette.

this video will also give a sense of just how far the industry has come in less than 40 years.

how gm could make something this awful is beyond me, and probably why the japanese realized the u.s. was ripe for invasion.

Old 12-08-18, 07:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Check out the 0-60 time on this bad boy...
Old 12-08-18, 07:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Wow! I wish I could forget those days.
Old 12-08-18, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Hey....at least its RWD HAHAHAHAHA

Hilarious. This made my day. 30 seconds 0-60! Wow
Old 12-08-18, 08:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow! Talk about a flashback. My late mother in law had a 4 door version of this car. When she could no longer drive none of the kids wanted the car lol.
Old 12-08-18, 10:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the pontiac 1000 was made by general motors as a 'premium' version of the chevrolet division's chevette.

this video will also give a sense of just how far the industry has come in less than 40 years.

how gm could make something this awful is beyond me, and probably why the japanese realized the u.s. was ripe for invasion.

https://youtu.be/oMsXLYFU0pU
I drove the Chevy version for work as a delivery car. What a POS.
Old 12-08-18, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

How gm and uaw workers could have any self dignity let alone pride in making such a pile of crap is beyond me. Of course mutual contempt and loathing between uaw and 'management' was riding high, in a spiral death match that almost reached death a few times.

even more amazing to me is that this car and its cheaper POS the chevette were hugely popular! my first car was an '83 Honda Prelude, a positive work of art compared to anything gm offered.

my ex had a buick skyhawk when i met her... engine was impressively reliable and always started even in bitterly cold pennsylvania winters (my prelude, like me, did not like the cold!). but the skyhawk exhibited lower body panel rust early on, quickly getting worse. it was also very noisy with terrible ride, steering and (no) 'handling’. the prelude never got any rust.
Old 12-08-18, 10:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hey....at least its RWD HAHAHAHAHA

Hilarious. This made my day. 30 seconds 0-60! Wow
haha... i love how John Davis is trying to be nice about the car (he praised the brakes) while only thinly disguising the fact that he thinks it's a pos too. Lol
Old 12-08-18, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

while only thinly disguising the fact that he thinks it's a pos too. Lol
And that's so rare for him too lol
Old 12-08-18, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

https://youtu.be/oMsXLYFU0pU

Couple of issues here. First, a technicality....some versions were also known as the T1000. Second, if this car was a POS (and I agree....it was not very impressive), GM didn't actually design it.....it was derived from the Isuzu-designed Gemini. Isuzu, a truck and SUV expert, was never very good at designing passenger cars....in fact, Honda let they rebadge the Civic as the Japanese-market I-Mark, in return for Isuzu donating the Rodeo and Trooper for the Honda Passport and Acura SLX. Third, if you think the T1000 was cheaply-done, Chevy sold an ultra-stripped down, entry-level version called the Chevette Scooter...it was almost like the inside of a panel-van inside, with a lot of bare-metal trim, no sound insulation, and missing even a rear seat....it was a 2-seater.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-08-18, 11:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Wow! I wish I could forget those days.

Today's GM products, in general, will make you do exactly that.
Old 12-08-18, 11:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Couple of issues here. First, a technicality....it was known as the T1000, not the 1000. Second, if this car was a POS (and I agree....it was not very impressive), GM didn't actually design it.....it was derived from the Isuzu-designed Gemini. Isuzu, a truck and SUV expert, was never very good at designing passenger cars....in fact, Honda let they rebadge the Civic as the Japanese-market I-Mark, in return for Isuzu donating the Rodeo and Trooper for the Honda Passport and Acura SLX. Third, if you think the T1000 was cheaply-done, Chevy sold an ultra-stripped down, entry-level version called the Chevette Scooter...it was almost like the inside of a panel-van inside, with a lot of bare-metal trim, no sound insulation, and missing even a rear seat....it was a 2-seater.

Look--American companies were on their heels trying to play catch-up to put smaller, more fuel efficient cars on the road to compete with the Japanese, who they had underestimated. So it made sense to start with a re-badge of this Isuzu. But 40 years later, they still have not been able to surpass the Civic or Corolla.
Old 12-08-18, 11:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Trust me.....some Chrysler products of the period, quality-wise, were even more poorly-built. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-08-18, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Look--American companies were on their heels trying to play catch-up to put smaller, more fuel efficient cars on the road to compete with the Japanese, who they had underestimated. So it made sense to start with a re-badge of this Isuzu. But 40 years later, they still have not been able to surpass the Civic or Corolla.
At the time, Chrysler actually had an interesting design with the Omni/Horizon, the first American-badged small car with FWD. The first-year versions used a 1.7L VW engine, but the car itself, shaped like the Rabbit but significantly larger and more nicely-trimmed, was a Chrysler design. If it hadn't been for the atrocious quality control and poor-quality materials, it would have blown the Chevette/1000 away in practicality and usefulness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-08-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

GM didn't actually design it.....it was derived from the Isuzu-designed Gemini. Isuzu, a truck and SUV expert, was never very good at designing passenger cars...
regardless, gm built and sold them. besides, there's so many examples of gm crap from that era, as you know.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Today's GM products, in general, will make you do exactly that.
sadly, most won't which is why they're closing plants.

Quick Reply: 1982 Pontiac 1000 review