Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps? >

Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Old 12-06-18, 05:11 PM
carblogger
Driver School Candidate

Default Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Well it's winter here in NY and it's getting to the point where I'm putting my car away for the winter.

So, I usually winterize my car by throwing in some fuel stabilizer to a full tank and by plugging my car into a battery tender.

I was thinking of adding tire ramps this year. What do you think of these
Bunkerwall Tire Ramps Bunkerwall Tire Ramps
?

Does anyone use ramps? Or are they a waste? My mindset was that for $60, I would get some piece of mind that my tires won't go flat during the 5 or so months my car is out of commission - especially since I have to garage it in a facility that I cannot access until springtime.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-11-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 05:19 PM
geko29
Oil Burner

If I was really concerned about flat spots, I'd invest in jack stands before tire ramps.
Old 12-06-18, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They are both good ideas, but I think geko's suggestion with the jack-stands is preferable. Those curved tire-cutouts in the ramps may or may not fit the actual curve of the tire, and if they don't, they could put uneven pressure on it. The stands, of course, will take all of the pressure off the tires....but be careful putting the vehicle on and off the stands, as on a unibody vehicle, it has to be done correctly (on the proper jack-points), to prevent frame-bending or damage.
Old 12-06-18, 09:13 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I keep my car up on quick-jacks whenever it's stored or not being driven for a while. If nothing else, just inflate your tires a good amount more than you usually do for driving to minimize flatspots.
Old 12-06-18, 09:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300 View Post
I keep my car up on quick-jacks whenever it's stored or not being driven for a while. If nothing else, just inflate your tires a good amount more than you usually do for driving to minimize flatspots.
Good point ....I had forgotten about that. But if you do that, don't exceed the maximum safe PSI, which is engraved in the black rubber on the side of the tire. That is separate from the normal recommended PSI, which is printed on a drivers' door-jamb sticker.
Old 12-06-18, 10:24 PM
Benoit
Driver

The care you are giving for your car is hearthwarming and I have respect for that.

I hope I will not come over as rude when I point out that cars are from nature very sturdy and that they will compensate a winter storage by design. I know many cars that are sitting in the garage for the winter, and they are on their tires.
Old 12-07-18, 09:52 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Its best to take the car out for a little drive every one to two weeks when the streets are clean of any debri.

letting the car sit too long is bad for the engine and rubber parts
Old 12-07-18, 12:12 PM
riredale
Pole Position

Huh. I wouldn't have thought that six months of storage would have any effect on the tires. If I did, I guess I'd inflate to the maximum number on the side of the tire--and not forget to bleed the excess off next spring before I took to the highway.
Old 12-07-18, 12:34 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by riredale View Post
Huh. I wouldn't have thought that six months of storage would have any effect on the tires. If I did, I guess I'd inflate to the maximum number on the side of the tire--and not forget to bleed the excess off next spring before I took to the highway.
If you let it sit too long, the tires will get flat head syndrome. Other components in the engine needs to be runned so that it can be lubed properly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: