Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

As opposed to being cancelled like GM has done to their LaCrosse and Impala? Your hate for the Avalon is bizzare, it really is the car you should of bought, I think most people on here would agree.

Huh?.....where are you coming from? No offense, but please get your facts straight....you apparently are not reading my posts. I did not like the last one...especially the 2013-2015. I DO like the XLE version of this one, even with the odd ski-ramp dash, flimsy glove box, and open-whale grille, and it is high on my shopping-list if Mary Barra kills the big GM sedans, which, at the point, appears likely.
Old 12-07-18, 06:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
if Mary Barra kills the big GM sedans, which, at the point, appears likely.
I thought it is pretty clear. The big sedans are done.
Old 12-07-18, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Its not likely. Its done. Its been announced.

As for what he should have bought, I think he's driving exactly what he should be driving. All through his artificial "search" we all knew it was going to be the Lacrosse LOL. If I were buying in that segment I'd buy a Genesis G80. If I had to choose something that wasn't a luxury brand I'd choose the Avalon.
Old 12-07-18, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I thought it is pretty clear. The big sedans are done.
Probably, but never underestimate the power of politicians....Canadian and American.

Also, remember when Ford tried to redo the Mustang into that jointly-shared Ford/Mazda FWD platform? The outcry forced the company to cancel those plans. They are still selling RWD Mustangs today.
Old 12-07-18, 07:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

As for what he should have bought, I think he's driving exactly what he should be driving. All through his artificial "search" we all knew it was going to be the Lacrosse LOL. If I were buying in that segment I'd buy a Genesis G80. If I had to choose something that wasn't a luxury brand I'd choose the Avalon.
Avalon and G80 are not really the same class of car. Personally I would rather have the Avalon, even if pricing were equal, same over the ES. I just like the Toyota brand, which is what the Avalon is supposed to serve.
Old 12-07-18, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'd give it about a 90% chance of it actually happening. Politicians are powerful, but the power of big company execs can be even more so in matters like this.

As for what he should have bought, I think he's driving exactly what he should be driving
Almost. Would have preferred a Lacrosse with the automatic tilt-down mirrors in reverse, but that was part of an expensive upgrade that I wasn't sure was worth the money....it had a lot of stuff I didn't want.

All through his artificial "search" we all knew it was going to be the Lacrosse LOL
Close.....but only a half of a cigar. It wasn't slam-dunk. I found the MKZ, G80, and ES350 to be genuine competition....the last-generation Avalon and last-generation Cadenza somewhat less so.

If I were buying in that segment I'd buy a Genesis G80. If I had to choose something that wasn't a luxury brand I'd choose the Avalon.
Did you really want an LS, or just chose it to impress your clients?.....I suspect a little of both.
Old 12-07-18, 07:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

choose the Avalon.
For a large sedan that is not a luxury badge. The Avalon is best in class IMO. It is the better buy.
Old 12-07-18, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Probably, but never underestimate the power of politicians....Canadian and American.
Politicians are not going to make a company produce specific products that they have decided no longer make sense for them to make.

Even if politicians were able to convince GM to keep those plants open, they would shift SUV/Crossover production there and still discontinue the sedans. The link Jill posted, they're trying to convince GM to shift Blazer production there. Lawmakers are trying to keep the plants open, not save sedans.

The sedans are dead. Nobody is trying to save them but you.

Also, remember when Ford tried to redo the Mustang into that jointly-shared Ford/Mazda FWD platform? The outcry forced the company to cancel those plans. They are still selling RWD Mustangs today.
That was outcry from consumers for an enthusiast targeted vehicle, where is the outcry here? Nobody cares about this. What people are upset about is the loss of the plants and the jobs lost, not the loss of the products.

Avalon and G80 are not really the same class of car. Personally I would rather have the Avalon, even if pricing were equal, same over the ES. I just like the Toyota brand, which is what the Avalon is supposed to serve.
Agreed, at that price point in a sedan though I'd take the G80. Just a vehicle on another level from the ES, Avalon, etc.

Close.....but only a half of a cigar. [img]https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/car-chat/images/smilies/wink.gif It wasn't slam-dunk. I found the MKZ, G80, and ES350 to be genuine competition....the last-generation Avalon and last-generation Cadenza somewhat less so.
I don't agree. You buying the Buick was a foregone conclusion. You play neutral, but really you're a huge Buick enthusiast.

Did you really want an LS, or just chose it to impress your clients?.....I suspect a little of both.
No, I really wanted an LS.

Very rarely do any of my clients ride in my car. 2-3 times a year maybe.
Old 12-07-18, 07:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Politicians won't stop GM's plans here. It's essentially a show, so they can say to their constituents "hey, I tried to save the jobs".
Old 12-07-18, 08:01 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

MMarshall, I would encourage you to cross shop the following:

-Chrysler 300 (I know, i know, but loaded with options they are NICE cars)
-Genesis G80
-Lexus LS 460 (used market)
-Last remaining Buick Lacrosse's (which I know you will do anyway)
-Infinity Q70 or Q70L
-Audi A8 or A8L (much more reliable now than they used to me)
-VW Passat (2018 SEL is a really nice driving car)
-Kia K900 (new or used)
-Toyota Avalon XLE
-Honda Accord Touring
-Acura RLX

Plenty of great 4 door sedans on the market with the features you want, in your budget, and with the wheel packages (or the ability to swap at the dealer) you prefer.
Old 12-07-18, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Politicians won't stop GM's plans here. It's essentially a show, so they can say to their constituents "hey, I tried to save the jobs".
Exactly......
Old 12-07-18, 08:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

For a large sedan that is not a luxury badge. The Avalon is best in class IMO. It is the better buy.
not many options left for non luxury bigger sedans. I find the new avalon to be hideous inside and out. you could get a 2 yr old k900 for the price of a new avalon or less, and that's a WAAAY better car, but i know toyota is your brand and certainly not hyundai/kia/genesis as you've made clear many times. i don't care about brands.

i'd also prefer an es over an avalon by far, but it's more money. I see the es outsold the avalon 2:1 last month.

Old 12-07-18, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd take an ES over the Avalon too for sure.
Old 12-07-18, 09:20 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

(moderator deleted)

Consumers are speaking with their wallets - they are moving to CUV's, SUV's, trucks, and EV's and those who are buying cars are buying Japanese and German cars. Why force another bail-out of GM by having government force them to produce things that aren't selling?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-07-18 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 09:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

(moderator deleted)

As a fan of the Lexus LS, I'm bummed they made it tighter and sportier and got rid of the V8 and turned it into a car that doesn't appeal to me any longer.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-07-18 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.