Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
But the tuning of the Avalon with 18" and 45 series tires is superb. A magic carpet type of ride.
Well, I'll admit I didn't sample a 45 myself yesterday. But the 55'sthemselves that I did sample were barely on the line of what I (personally) would call acceptable smoothness, so, by my standards at least, the 45s aren't certainly to likely to be "superb".

BTW, that was one of my (very few) complaints with the Verano. It rode the way I liked only in the summer, when its 45-series tires and shock-fluid were warm and soft. In cold weather, it was stiffer than I would have liked. But it was still an excellent small car....the best-driving car of that size I've ever owned.

This discussion is such an over blown worry.
Not IMO.

The Lacrosse for example has four different tires, and it includes ride control.
Actually, three sizes...18"/50, 19"/45 (Avenir), and 20"/40 (The 20s ride like s***). The Dynamic-drive suspension is not available with the 18". I'm perfectly happy wth the 18' wheels and standard suspension......that is the smoothest-riding version. The larger wheels and/or dynamic suspension just firm things up and make it less Buick-like.

I'd really like to see what a Lacrosse would be like with the Avalon's 17" 55-series tires I sampled yesterday...they seemed to ride more or less the same, but I think that was because of the Avalon's slightly firmer suspension.

The XT5 has 65 series tires.
True, but SUVs usually have stiffer suspensions than sedans, so that takes the cushiness out of the profiles. They also have taller profiles to better-accomodate mild off-roading, though car-based crossovers are usually not true off-roaders.

Does anyone care?
When it comes to ride quality, you bet I care. Ride quality and seating comfort, though not the only issues, are two of the top issues now when I personally go vehicle-shopping......and, if they don't deliver, I'm not interested. I put up with small, firm-riding vehicles in the past....but those days are gone.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I'll admit I didn't sample a 45 myself yesterday. But the 55'sthemselves that I did sample were barely on the line of what I (personally) would call acceptable smoothness, so, by my standards at least, the 45s aren't certainly to likely to be "superb".
doesnt Limited have AVS?
Old 12-06-18, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
doesnt Limited have AVS?
No. just the sport model.
Old 12-06-18, 01:30 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had my 2010 RX for two years now. It sat on the lot with 19" wheels, and I seriously considered asking the dealer to find some 18" wheels to swap out. Why? Because not only did I think the "big wheel" thing was a styling gimmick, but I also assumed that tires for 19" or 20" wheels would be a lot more expensive than for the 18" size.

Is this in fact correct? Yes, I know the larger wheels would also slightly improve handling, but this RX is a 5,000 lb car. I did plenty of at-the-margin cornering on my motorcycle decades ago; not so keen to drive the RX that way.
Old 12-06-18, 02:08 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

One area where I do agree with Mike is that more sidewall is *generally* better. My truck has 17's instead of the super popular 20 or 22 inch rims that most people put on trucks these days. I much prefer it that way.
Old 12-06-18, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
One area where I do agree with Mike is that more sidewall is *generally* better. My truck has 17's instead of the super popular 20 or 22 inch rims that most people put on trucks these days. I much prefer it that way.
Thats a truck though
Old 12-06-18, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

There's no doubt that more sidewall is more comfortable all else being equal.
Old 12-06-18, 04:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats a truck though
It holds true for me on pretty much anything that isn't a sports car, based on the cars I've owned and or driven.
Old 12-06-18, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It holds true for me on pretty much anything that isn't a sports car, based on the cars I've owned and or driven.

Agreed.....you hit it. The only exception I've found so far (and I drive a lot of vehicles) was the 2Gen Hyundai Genesis...which, somehow, managed to float along really nice on 45s.
Old 12-07-18, 12:06 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Three pages of tire/wheels size talk. What about people's opinion on the interesting Avalon?

It is nice to see a base model get some attention. I don't think I've ever seen an XLE on the road, but those are some nicely styled rims on it (oops, back to the wheels again!). And you can't go wrong with Toyota's tried and true 3.5 V6 and overall reliabilty.

My main thought is still the same since we found out TheCross was being discontinued and you want to ditch GM.... "A lot can happen in three years in the car industry." I think it's much too premature to be looking or thinking what is next. There will be more discontinued cars, more new releases, facelifts, changes in models and options, and changes in economics, pricing, and marketing. What we see and know about today will not be the same in three years. Enjoy the Buick and not worry about it.
Old 12-07-18, 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Three pages of tire/wheels size talk. What about people's opinion on the interesting Avalon?
I gave my basic impression of it in the write up, though it was admittedly, not a true review, to my standards. What else do you want to know, specifically?

It is nice to see a base model get some attention. I don't think I've ever seen an XLE on the road, but those are some nicely styled rims on it (oops, back to the wheels again!). And you can't go wrong with Toyota's tried and true 3.5 V6 and overall reliabilty.
Agreed on the 3.5L. As I stated in the write-up, I don't agree with the complainers that pan Toyota and Lexus for supposedly "outdated" engines. Those engines regularly last 200K or more.

My main thought is still the same since we found out TheCross was being discontinued and you want to ditch GM.... "A lot can happen in three years in the car industry." I think it's much too premature to be looking or thinking what is next. There will be more discontinued cars, more new releases, facelifts, changes in models and options, and changes in economics, pricing, and marketing. What we see and know about today will not be the same in three years. Enjoy the Buick and not worry about it.
Ha....you better believe it. I definitely enjoy that car, every time I drive it....especially now that the heat/defrost problem is fixed LOL. GM and Ford are giving the impression, though, that they are giving up on big cushy sedans. The original flagship Roadmaster was replaced by the Electra (I owned an Electra), then the Park Avenue, then the Roadmaster again, then the Park Avenue again, then the Lucerne, then the Lacrosse. But with the demise of the Lacrosse, it is a totally different age now, and the future of bigs sedans, period, unlike the past, is in extreme doubt. I wish it wasn't so, but big market forces are at work here, even if they turn out to be wrong or unnecessary.
Old 12-07-18, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Its a good car, big improvement over the previous Avalon.
Old 12-07-18, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its a good car, big improvement over the previous Avalon.

In general, I'll have to agree with that, though IMO the new grille, glove box, and ski-jump center-dash are flops.
Old 12-07-18, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The old one had a big grill too, and the "ski jump" dash at least is a unique approach.
Old 12-07-18, 06:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO the new grille, glove box, and ski-jump center-dash are flops.
As opposed to being cancelled like GM has done to their LaCrosse and Impala? Your constant hate and repetitive bash for the Avalon is bizzare, it really is the car you should of bought, I think most people on here would agree.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-07-18 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.