Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 07:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No doubt, they designed this gen Avalon (and ES) to be softer riding than the previous car. That softer suspension makes up for the difference in sidewall height. Thats why I said to mmarshall he can't use his experience with the Cadenza and project that experience onto the Avalon. Different cars, different suspensions.

If you put smaller wheels and taller sidewall tires on their Avalon, it would ride even better.
s.
For sure. But how many people really worry about this stuff to go and downsize their tires after they get their car. That is why I think it's overblown.
Old 12-04-18, 07:44 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 481 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Not always. My parents new Avalon rides fare nicer than their ES with smaller rims and larger series. The suspension also has a lot to do with it. My 4Runner with 65 size tires does not ride as nice as my 55 series tires and 16" rims on my Corolla. Yet my 4Runner rides nicer than my Matrix which both have 17s.

Brand and quality of tire also has a role. My new Michelin tires are firmer than my outgoing Good Years.
Always. You have to compare the impact on the same car.....

A lower aspect ratio on any one of those cars you mentioned will deliver a more compromised ride than a higher aspect ratio tire on the same car, with all other components unchanged.

Last edited by swajames; 12-04-18 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

For sure. But how many people really worry about this stuff to go and downsize their tires after they get their car. That is why I think it's overblown.

I admit I am very sensitive to how a vehicle feels. But a lot of people aren't. They don't care if it rides like a bumper-car at the amusement park LOL, as long as it gets them from point A to point B reliably. That's not the way I think, though...driving, to me, is a daily pleasure.
Old 12-04-18, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Always. You have to compare the impact on the same car.....
Right. But some people make it sound like it's always not within one car. This is why i say it's overblown. Very few people will change their rims.
Old 12-04-18, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Almost nobody. It’s overblown in that the vast majority of buyers don’t care I agree. Buyers want the better looking bigger wheels, which is why Carmakers put them on the cars.
Old 12-04-18, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Almost nobody. It’s overblown in that the vast majority of buyers don’t care I agree. Buyers want the better looking bigger wheels, which is why Carmakers put them on the cars.

That's assuming that bigger actually does look better. Opinions differ on that.
Old 12-05-18, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's assuming that bigger actually does look better. Opinions differ on that.
Your opinion differs. If you took a poll, I think most would disagree.

If people didn't like cars better with bigger wheels, they wouldn't put them on cars, concepts, etc. If they weren't attractive to people and they didn't think that they looked better with bigger wheels, they wouldn't put bigger wheels on the more expensive versions they try and get consumers to buy. You seem to have this idea that carmakers are just out there making what they want to make and damn the consumer and that's just absurd, carmakers know what consumers want, and they build to those wants.

If small wheels and big fat tires were what consumers want, they would put them on cars.
Old 12-05-18, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If small wheels and big fat tires were what consumers want, they would put them on cars.
Either way, I'm glad that some passenger cars still have 50-series or above. Although there are some exceptions (like the Hyundai Genesis), in general, all else equal, 50s and above still give the best rides. Suspension engineering, of course, is also important. One of the best-designed suspensions I ever saw was on the last-generation BMW 335i, which gave a surprisingly smooth ride (and excellent handling) even on the 35-series Sport Package. That underpinnings on that car (I did a full-review on it) surprised me like perhaps no other modern car I've sampled. It was a perfect example of why the 3-series won so many awards in the auto magazines over the years.
Old 12-05-18, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the 'series' of a tire though is a proportion if its width so sidewall on a 50 series 225 tire on a 17" rim is SMALLER than the sidewall 255 tire on an 18" rim.
I'm aware of that. But you won't find very many 255s on run-of-the-mill sedans, unless they are heavily-sport-oriented. All else equal, very wide tires also increase rolling-friction (and noise), so manufacturers generally won't use them on vehicles where fuel economy is of primary concern.
Old 12-05-18, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I'm aware of that. But you won't find very many 255s on run-of-the-mill sedans, unless they are heavily-sport-oriented. All else equal, very wide tires also increase rolling-friction (and noise), so manufacturers generally won't use them on vehicles where fuel economy is of primary concern.
correction my math was off... i deleted my post and you're right.
Old 12-05-18, 01:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm aware of that. But you won't find very many 255s on run-of-the-mill sedans, unless they are heavily-sport-oriented..
Rears on the G90 at Square One Genesis are 275

Furthermore, the rears of the G80 are 35 series on 18”.

All this talk about series size is a big over reaction IMO.
Old 12-05-18, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

No doubt, they designed this gen Avalon (and ES) to be softer riding than the previous car. That softer suspension makes up for the difference in sidewall height. Thats why I said to mmarshall he can't use his experience with the Cadenza and project that experience onto the Avalon. Different cars, different suspensions.

If you put smaller wheels and taller sidewall tires on their Avalon, it would ride even better.

Thats why even with my experience with the LS I cant say the 19s don't impact the ride. My 15 on 18s was a SWB and coil suspension, my 17 on 19s is a LWB and has the air suspension. Not apples to apples.
yeah.. how about putting those 17" with 55 sidewall onto the Limited? It sure would ride nice, and there is no reason not to.
Old 12-05-18, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah.. how about putting those 17" with 55 sidewall onto the Limited? It sure would ride nice, and there is no reason not to.

Exactly.
Old 12-05-18, 05:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
But the tuning of the Avalon with 18" and 45 series tires is superb. A magic carpet type of ride. This discussion is such an over blown worry. The Lacrosse for example has four different tires, and it includes ride control. Avalon just two sizes. So what's the issue? Lots of choice. The XT5 has 65 series tires. Does anyone care? Large rims look better.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-05-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 05:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But the tuning of the Avalon with 18" and 45 series tires is superb. A magic carpet type of ride. This discussion is such an over blown worry. The Lacrosse for example has four different tires, and it includes ride control. Avalon just two sizes. So what's the issue? Lots of choice. The XT5 has 65 series tires. Does anyone care? Large rims look better.
I wouldnt call it a magic carpet ride lol. Its a nice riding sedan, not anything special though.

Quick Reply: MM Test-Drive....2019 Toyota Avalon.