ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   This LS-Powered Lexus IS300 Makes Over 1,000HP (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/905949-this-ls-powered-lexus-is300-makes-over-1-000hp.html)

Curated Content Editor 12-04-18 06:19 PM

This LS-Powered Lexus IS300 Makes Over 1,000HP

This LS-Powered Lexus IS300 Makes Over 1,000HP
By Curated Content Editor

The big radial drag tires in the back provide a hint as to what sort of power band this first-gen IS packs.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2583ae69b8.jpg

ArmyofOne 12-04-18 07:08 PM

Why, Why would someone EVER swap out a 2JZ engine for an LS? People do this alot and it blows my mind. Short of the 2JZ blowing up (which is uncommon), there is no reason for it. the 2JZ inline-6 is capable of producing just as much, if not more power and torque than an LS.

Stroock639 12-04-18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 10375537)
Why, Why would someone EVER swap out a 2JZ engine for an LS? People do this alot and it blows my mind. Short of the 2JZ blowing up (which is uncommon), there is no reason for it. the 2JZ inline-6 is capable of producing just as much, if not more power and torque than an LS.

exactly, the 1st gen IS is more or less the easiest and cheapest way to recreate the supra experience, and that's all down to the 2JZ

ArmyofOne 12-04-18 09:26 PM

In the case of something not as capable of taking mods in stock form, I get it, but the 2JZ is probably the strongest stock bottom-end you can get in any modern engine.

plex 12-05-18 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 10375648)
In the case of something not as capable of taking mods in stock form, I get it, but the 2JZ is probably the strongest stock bottom-end you can get in any modern engine.

For arguments sake the vvti 2jzge are the weakest of the bunch with the rods being thinner. The non vvti GE or gte vvti have thicker rods and can handle more abuse.

Sounds like the build was about going the non typical route. Tons of LS aftermarket options too.

Hoovey689 12-05-18 10:11 AM

Why the complaints? There are more 2JZ-GTE IS300's out there than LS swapped ones anyway. Plus it's a V8 soundtrack, something an inline-six won't ever be

TXgearhead 12-05-18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 10375537)

Not trying to call you out, but I used to build LS platform motors. There are TONS of 2000+ horsepower LS builds out there and many different ways to get huge power out of them. With the LS, you also have the option of turbo, supercharger, procharger, or NA with nitrous setup. You see a good number of Supras in the 1200 - 1700 hp range, but rarely over that (not saying they aren’t capable of more.)

They are are both incredible engines and both make huge power reliably. I love the 2JZ as well. Some people just prefer a V8, nothing wrong with that.

97-SC300 12-05-18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TXgearhead (Post 10376359)

Not trying to call you out, but I used to build LS platform motors. There are TONS of 2000+ horsepower LS builds out there and many different ways to get huge power out of them. With the LS, you also have the option of turbo, supercharger, procharger, or NA with nitrous setup. You see a good number of Supras in the 1200 - 1700 hp range, but rarely over that (not saying they aren’t capable of more.)

They are are both incredible engines and both make huge power reliably. I love the 2JZ as well. Some people just prefer a V8, nothing wrong with that.

I can respect that. Aint nothin wrong with an LS motor!

Stroock639 12-06-18 01:27 PM

well to me it's a similar thing of LS swapping an RX-7, the LS engine on paper basically makes everything better, but it takes away the car's characteristics that first made it loved

if you want a V8 powered IS, use a 1UZ and keep it yota!

LeX2K 12-06-18 01:41 PM

It bothers me when the spirit of the car is lost especially if the car came with an inline 6. At least use an engine from the same manufacturer.

TXgearhead 12-06-18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lexus2000 (Post 10377218)
It bothers me when the spirit of the car is lost especially if the car came with an inline 6. At least use an engine from the same manufacturer.

I think the spirit of the car is lost anytime you quadruple the factory horsepower and put a full cage in it.

ArmyofOne 12-07-18 08:17 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the LS engines. I have a car with an LS3 in it :D I just think the whole "LS swap it" fad has gone a little too far. In some cases, sure, it makes sense. Like in an RX-7 or 8 because the original engines are problem children, or in the case of a 911 with a blown up engine, or when you want to build something ridiculous (my buddy put one in a 2003 Focus 2dr hatch and did a RWD coversion), but honestly, I think a 1UZ would have been better to use here. They probably aren't stronger than an LS, and they cost more to build, but it would have kept the car more in line with its roots. And to me, that's important.

Originally Posted by Stroock639 (Post 10377200)
well to me it's a similar thing of LS swapping an RX-7, the LS engine on paper basically makes everything better, but it takes away the car's characteristics that first made it loved

if you want a V8 powered IS, use a 1UZ and keep it yota!

^This. I have seen people put LS's in everything, from Jeep CJ7's to motorcycles, and even riding mowers...its a trend that really is quite hilarious. I myself am going to build an LS or LT for my 1964 Biscayne with the time comes.