Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Unveiled....unfortunately

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 03:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
The first design was super ugly! This new picture looks much better but that’s not saying much. I think the Ford trucks look better.
Agreed

Old 12-06-18, 05:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're all universally fugly, in an attempt to get the "macho" element as a selling point. These trucks are getting more and more ridiculous. The Ford F250 looks like someone went to a 1950 dentist and got chrome braces. The GM looks like a skyscraper. Who's living under that hood, an NBA team? And Dodge's 2500 appears to need nasal drops for those ridiculous nose slits on the dental work.

Somewhere in some design school and a truck design studio, people are told that macho, swaggering yahoos need gigantic absurd "faces" on their utility trucks to project "power", "aggression".

Old 12-06-18, 05:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Found the yuppy
Old 12-06-18, 05:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Found the yuppy
Yuppie is an outdated term fyi. Definitely early 80s. Nobody under the age of 50 knows what a "yuppie" means. But yeah whatever. Here's something to make ya feel better. Have a special, special night now ya hear?

Old 12-06-18, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yuppie is an outdated term fyi. Definitely early 80s.
Actually, more the later 80s, after the High-Tech industry really started to get cranked up. The term "Yuppie" meant "Young, Urban, Professional"...generally a new (for that period) class of workers who spent most of their working day sitting inside of cubicles, pushing buttons on a keyboard. Their stereotype-vehicle, BTW, was a brand-new BMW 3 or 5-series.

Nobody under the age of 50 knows what a "yuppie" means.
OK......so I'm no Spring Chicken LOL.

Here's something to make ya feel better. Have a special, special night now ya hear?

Gotta confess, I haven't seen that one before (a necklace of beer cans). But then, again, I don't drink.
Old 12-06-18, 05:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, more the later 80s, after the High-Tech industry really started to get cranked up. The term "Yuppie" meant "Young, Urban, Professional"...generally a new (for that period) class of workers who spent most of their working day sitting inside of cubicles, pushing buttons on a keyboard. Their stereotype-vehicle, BTW, was a brand-new BMW 3 or 5-series.
Well here's the reference manual, lol. It's a 1984 paperback edition of course, but then again the poster that replied to me might like that. Of course we know that the Ford F150 is the new yuppie-mobile is it not? You spend on King Ranch and duded up versions that cost more than any Bimmer, after all.

Old 12-06-18, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Well here's the reference manual, lol. It's a 1984 paperback edition of course, but then again the poster that replied to me might like that. Of course we know that the Ford F150 is the new yuppie-mobile is it not? You spend on King Ranch and duded up versions that cost more than any Bimmer, after all.

Good point on that 1984 handbook....can't really argue with that. And, yes, that's exactly what many of them looked like....right down to the running shoes LOL. I used to ride the subway with many of them.

Here in my area, from what I remember, the classic Yuppie culture was in full-swing by around 1987 or 1988, and new BMWs were multiplying on the roads faster than they could be driven off the dealer-lots.
Old 12-06-18, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the Silverado, Chevy is also announcing new Silverado Heavy-Duty models for larger chassis-cabs. They have a somewhat more conventional-looking front end than the light-duty pickup, and are considered 2019, not 2020 models.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...do-chassis-cab

Old 12-06-18, 06:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

My truck is actually an XLT, which is not one of the fancy $$$ models. And I beat it up off-road and hauling stuff.

Although my day job is in an office as a CPA.
Old 12-06-18, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I'm well under 50 and I certainly know what a yuppie is.
Old 12-06-18, 08:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm well under 50 and I certainly know what a yuppie is.
Technically, as a licensed professional, you're probably one yourself....though not with exactly the same type of job the classical Yuppies had working in a cubicle.
Old 12-06-18, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Technically, as a licensed professional, you're probably one yourself....though not with exactly the same type of job the classical Yuppies had working in a cubicle.
I have some yuppie tendencies sure.

BTW, "Yuppie" is a derogatory term, so thanks for that lol
Old 12-06-18, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have some yuppie tendencies sure.

BTW, "Yuppie" is a derogatory term, so thanks for that lol
It wasn't considered derogatory back in the late 80s and early 90s, when the culture around here was at its peak. If it is considered derogatory now (which, if so, I'm not aware of), sorry, I'll stand corrected.
Old 12-06-18, 09:09 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

It wasn't considered derogatory back in the late 80s and early 90s, when the culture around here was at its peak. If it is considered derogatory now (which, if so, I'm not aware of), sorry, I'll stand corrected.
Yeah, it's definitely derogatory. And I am not even 30 and I know that.

For a vehicle-related yuppie stereotype: the BMW 3-series, especially the lease special.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
My truck is actually an XLT, which is not one of the fancy $$$ models. And I beat it up off-road and hauling stuff.

Although my day job is in an office as a CPA.
This. My coworker is a systems engineer who sits at a desk all day like I do, but in his spare time he takes his boat out and thus drives a big Ram pickup to work. Then again, most of my possibly-"yuppie" coworkers drive things like Priuses, compact crossovers like the Nissan Rogue, and typical mainstream sedans... So perhaps he's an outlier. Then again, it is always important to realize people's day jobs and hobbies are often quite different. You need that escape. A big truck often enables that escape.
Old 12-06-18, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah, it's definitely derogatory. And I am not even 30 and I know that.
Well, that gets back to what I said about it maybe being derogatory today. I lived though the 80s when the culture started, and, from my memory, it wasn't considered so back then.......but, hey, times change, and, like I told Steve, if so, I'll stand corrected.

For a vehicle-related yuppie stereotype: the BMW 3-series, especially the lease special.
Yep....back then, a new Bimmer, in that culture, was THE car to have. And, most of them weren't particularly aggressive drivers (which the 3-Series later became famous for)...they just considered the car a status symbol, and didn't really use much of its handling prowess, particularly in the always-dense traffic in this region.

Then again, most of my possibly-"yuppie" coworkers drive things like Priuses, compact crossovers like the Nissan Rogue, and typical mainstream sedans... So perhaps he's an outlier.
The Prius, from Day One (which, for the U.S. market, was in the summer of 2000) appealed mostly, but not totally, to environmentalists, college professors, celebrities, and schoolteachers. It was considered "The car for people who don't like cars" LOL

Quick Reply: The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Unveiled....unfortunately