Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wow--I'm glad I missed that. Pretty offensive.

I changed the title and images because some found it offensive. But I still see it as a war against Ford and GM sedans....and I certainly see what those two companies did as being offensive.
Old 12-01-18, 02:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

These sedans will fade into history just like hundreds of vehicles before them and others will take their place just like before. They are simply victims of changing consumer tastes and preferences. These are consumer products. This is making a mountain out of a mole hill imo
Old 12-01-18, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
These sedans will fade into history just like hundreds of vehicles before them and others will take their place just like before. They are simply victims of changing consumer tastes and preferences. These are consumer products. This is making a mountain out of a mole hill imo

Your opinion noted. I don't agree with it. Some of us like a certain type of vehicle, and, for them, there is no real replacement. That's why, unlike in the past, I may (?) have my Lacrosse a long time, and/or be forced into the used-car market.

It wouldn't be so bad if GM at least kept the Impala (a nice substitute for the Lacrosse)...but it's on the chopping block, too. So might be the Lincoln MKZ...another good possibility. The Kia Cadenza is a nice car but not as comfortable.
Old 12-01-18, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sedans won't truly go away. If the US market sees an increase in sedan sales, then the likelihood of more models being introduced will happen. It's a business decision not to invest money in a class of vehicle that is not as profitable as a segment that is hot (trucks and SUVs). While it's sad to see names like Taurus go away, they shouldn't of let it languish for a decade like they did. LaCrosse sales are down significantly. Why produce something no one is buying? These are not halo cars that define brands. In Ford's case now they can go and remake the Escape Hybrid which would sell far better than the Fusion/Fusion Hybrid currently. MKZ's with 400hp and ATS-V, CTS-V's while great cars are not swaying M and AMG owners. But the new Aviators and XT4's of the world will drive volume which Lincoln and Cadillac need more than anything at the moment.
Old 12-01-18, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, folks, I've had my say....and some of you have had yours. As Jill suggests, I won't start any more threads on the subject.
Old 12-01-18, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

it is very simple... every day people are voting with their pocket on what vehicles they want to drive and purchase... at the end of the day, manufacturers look at what makes sense and make product decisions.

It is really as simple as that. If people wanted great large sedans, they would purchase more and we would have more... they dont, and we see less and less being available.
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, folks, I've had my say....and some of you have had yours. As Jill suggests, I won't start any more threads on the subject.
I thought I would respectfully say something because there are good articles and information as well as discussion in the other thread. That’s all. But all good, no worries.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-01-18 at 03:15 PM.
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't have a crystal ball, but it may not be a traditional Bully-Pulpit action. More likely, GM will lose out on beneficial treatment it has been getting from the government, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of their tax-breaksor subsidies rolled back. Other than that, it will be up to Trump and Trudeau on how they want to deal with it.
What have other presidents done historically to "punish" automakers like GM or others?
Old 12-01-18, 04:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

sounds like i missed some good stuff here lol
Old 12-01-18, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
What have other presidents done historically to "punish" automakers like GM or others?
There are a number of examples, but, recently, Obama probably did the most, by actually placing the Federal Government into a role on GM's board and ordering them to get new management. It was part of the condition of the buyout. But it was Johnson and Nixon, after Ralph Nader's lobbying in the 1960s, that got the Government involved in the first place, with the first Federal safety, emission, and CAFE demands.
Old 12-01-18, 04:21 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

There are a number of examples, but, recently, Obama probably did the most, by actually placing the Federal Government into a role on GM's board and ordering them to get new management. It was part of the condition of the buyout. But it was Johnson and Nixon, after Ralph Nader's lobbying in the 1960s, that got the Government involved in the first place, with the first Federal safety, emission, and CAFE demands.
Seems you want Trump to punish GM by shaming CEO/Board etc...to stop them from producing a car you and your friends support. You seem to overlook the fact that GM is a business and must make changes to keep moving forward. Yes they made mistakes by not adjusting to the market but what would you have them do? Appease to you and those that supported Trump because he promised jobs just because? No we live in a consumer based economy period. Supply and Demand if consumers aren't buying certain models you produce then those models don't become profitable cut your losses and adjust simple as that. I hate to see people lose their jobs but this is the nature of business.
Old 12-01-18, 04:41 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Here is the thing...

Both GM and Ford spend millions, or even BILLIONS of dollars annually doing market research. Some of the best minds in the country doing this work. Market research, business analytics, etc. They know far better than you do what sells and what doesn't, and what the market wants. Just because you and a few friends don't want to lose large, american made sedans, doesn't mean the market is there for them. You want cushy, reliable comfort? Get an Avalon, get an LS, get an S-Class, there are a myriad of other choices that will fit any and all budgets. Both GM and Ford have seemingly decided that the market for sedans just isn't there in the US, and they can make more money on SUV's and Crossovers. They aren't wrong, the profit margins are MUCH higher on vehicles in those classes. Believe me, Multi-national, billion dollar corporations think long and hard about these types of decisions before they commit to them. And they don't give a damn what 1, 10, or even 100 potential customers think. Their research spans hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, and those people must overwhelmingly want more SUV's and Crossovers, or this wouldn't be happening.
Old 12-01-18, 04:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Here is the thing...

Both GM and Ford spend millions, or even BILLIONS of dollars annually doing market research. Some of the best minds in the country doing this work. Market research, business analytics, etc. They know far better than you do what sells and what doesn't, and what the market wants. Just because you and a few friends don't want to lose large, american made sedans, doesn't mean the market is there for them. You want cushy, reliable comfort? Get an Avalon, get an LS, get an S-Class, there are a myriad of other choices that will fit any and all budgets. Both GM and Ford have seemingly decided that the market for sedans just isn't there in the US, and they can make more money on SUV's and Crossovers. They aren't wrong, the profit margins are MUCH higher on vehicles in those classes. Believe me, Multi-national, billion dollar corporations think long and hard about these types of decisions before they commit to them. And they don't give a damn what 1, 10, or even 100 potential customers think. Their research spans hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people, and those people must overwhelmingly want more SUV's and Crossovers, or this wouldn't be happening.
Well said. And let’s all remember GM will still make the Lacrosse and CT6 in China.
Old 12-01-18, 05:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
Seems you want Trump to punish GM by shaming CEO/Board etc..
I don’t see the point. Shaming would look really stupid on his part. He promised rust belt jobs and the plant where he said those promises are closing. He will probably lay low on the topic for the next little while.
Old 12-01-18, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
You want cushy, reliable comfort? Get an Avalon, get an LS, get an S-Class, there are a myriad of other choices that will fit any and all budgets.
I hear what you are saying, but the newer Avalons aren't cushy enough, and the LS and S-class are two and three times the price. Like it or not, the Lacrosse, even with its faults, was the closest thing to a perfect car for me on the market. The Cadenza and ES350, like the Avalon, are well-made but not quite cushy enough. The MKZ is also nice, but its future is also iffy.

One of three things will probably happen. I will either keep my present Lacrosse and be forced into the used-car market in the future, grab up one of the last remaining new Lacrosses before it is extinct next year, or simply get something else (hopefully, an MKZ) and just give up a little comfort. I don't like the idea, though, of giving GM even another penny of mine for a new vehicle.....they are no longer worthy of it.

Quick Reply: Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description