Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 07:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Way off topic but Russian hackers are part of the top group that target the US. They are very efficient at accessing the most secure networks. Anyway back to plant closings.
The U.S. hacks and attempts to hack Russia, China etc. this is not news. Maybe GM will start blaming their failures on the Russians.
Old 12-10-18, 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So what? I don't care where it was recorded, as long as it is accurate.
So what? It's funded by the Russian govt with clear intent for disinformation. Not a source i trust. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_(TV_network)

But all are free to believe what they want, for now.
Old 12-10-18, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So what? It's funded by the Russian govt with clear intent for disinformation.
Well, no offense (and I know sometimes I come on a little strong), but, if so, then they chose the wrong host for that interview, because that guy had a pretty good idea of what he was talking about. GM's workers are not going to take this lightly. Neither are the politicians in Washington and Ottawa.
Old 12-10-18, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think anyone has posted this yet (I'll stand corrected if they have) but here is a heated debate, on the closings, in the (Canadian) Ontario Legislature between the two parties.

Old 12-11-18, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think anyone has posted this yet (I'll stand corrected if they have) but here is a heated debate, on the closings, in the (Canadian) Ontario Legislature between the two parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca_rOfpX4B0
Interesting video. Ford will not give money to GM. Howarth lost to Ford in the election, of course she will not like what Ford has to say. At the end of the day, GM will not reverse their decision to close to these plants.
Old 12-11-18, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Interesting video. Ford will not give money to GM. Howarth lost to Ford in the election, of course she will not like what Ford has to say. At the end of the day, GM will not reverse their decision to close to these plants.

I wish we had debate like that here in the U.S. Congress. Here, members are given specific time-blocks to make their statement (often for only minute or so), and often aren't given the chance to directly refute statements, back-and-forth, made by their opponents, such as Howarth and Ford are doing. I notice they do the same thing in London, in the House of Commons.....free exchanges back and forth between the party leaders, without time-blocks or limits. Only, in London, the level of background noise and chatter is even louder....and people shout their approval or disapproval.

I usually don't back left-wing parties, BTW.......but Howarth, this time, made some good points. Ford, IMO, sounded to me like too much of a defeatist.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-18 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 10:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Back indeed. GM is now trying to defend itself from loss of subsidies....Good Luck.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/general-mo...plant-closures
They loose the subsidies they'll just have to lay off more people.
Old 12-11-18, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They loose the subsidies they'll just have to lay off more people.
That depends on the details of the Union contracts, and how much job security is involved in those contracts.. I'm not going to make any predictions either way. But, going by simple math, yes, there would certainly be pressure for layoffs.
Old 12-11-18, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That depends on the details of the Union contracts, and how much job security is involved in those contracts.. I'm not going to make any predictions either way. But, going by simple math, yes, there would certainly be pressure for layoffs.
So, do you not see how its in the best interest of American workers to leave those subsidies in place?
Old 12-11-18, 11:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So, do you not see how its in the best interest of American workers to leave those subsidies in place?
do you feel the same of all subsidies or just ones that favour tesla?

It is in best interest of people working for Tesla and owning Tesla stock to have subsidies that help Tesla. It is definitely not in the interest of "American workers" in general.
Old 12-11-18, 11:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I personally think this would be good for those workers losing jobs because of GM. They would have the ability to work for Tesla, I have no idea if they would get paid the same and what the Union and Tesla would agree to etc...

Source: https://electrek.co/2018/12/07/tesla...ies-elon-musk/
it is how free market economies survive. GM has to cut the losses so the company can thrive, and those workers are going to be better of in company that needs them than wonder every month when is GM going to cut them.
Changes are hard but necessary.

Tesla does need a lot more capacity, and the way they are doing things employs a lot more people than GM plant ever did for the same output. If not Tesla, there are other companies going to the NA, just probably not the same town.

Right now Toyota/Mazda is adding new plant, 4000 employees. VW is also looking for new plant. FCA is moving back some production from Mexico. Toyota is also expanding some other plants.
Volvo just opened new plant few months ago.

A lot of new manufacturing is opening up, makes little sense to lose money:
https://www.industryweek.com/leaders...uilding-frenzy

It will be a good as it gets job market for those employees that are going to lose their jobs and they will also get good severance package.
Old 12-11-18, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
do you feel the same of all subsidies or just ones that favour tesla?

It is in best interest of people working for Tesla and owning Tesla stock to have subsidies that help Tesla. It is definitely not in the interest of "American workers" in general.
Where did Tesla come into the discussion from? I'm talking about subsidies given to GM.
Old 12-11-18, 01:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Back indeed. GM is now trying to defend itself from loss of subsidies....Good Luck.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/general-mo...plant-closures
Meh. Let's check back in a few months. I am confident that the "threats" are just Washington bluster.
Old 12-11-18, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Meh. Let's check back in a few months. I am confident that the "threats" are just Washington bluster.
I agree. It’s just bluster by Washington
Old 12-11-18, 01:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm still trying to picture what it would look like to have this administration come in to my work and tell us to ignore our sales data and profits and just build what they want us to build. That thought is astounding to me.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories