Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Sting's father worked at the shipyard in Northern England which closed and is why Sting has strong feelings about the economic damage. so he's no doubt sympathetic while at the same time promoting his play in Toronto.
Old 02-12-19, 08:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Sting's father worked at the shipyard in Northern England which closed and is why Sting has strong feelings about the economic damage. so he's no doubt sympathetic while at the same time promoting his play in Toronto.
Thanks. You have no doubt changed my opinion of why he is doing it.
Old 02-12-19, 09:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/un...ssembly-plant/

So Sting is in Toronto to play a show about a local shipyard closing which damages the economy. I am on the fence here, is Sting out to just promote his musical that I have never heard of, or is he trying to really spread awareness about the GM situation in Oshawa. Or is it a bit of both? I do not like Sting at all BTW. He was at the Raptors game last night
I prefer Gordon Ramsay. I bet he can fillet circles around sting. Probably better at soccer too.

p.s. I'll always remember Money For Nothing where sting sings the back drop. blew out a friends new Wharfedale speakers with Knopfler's guitar cranking that up...
Old 02-13-19, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some of the off set job loses from one of the GM suppliers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.adw...ructuring/amp/
Old 02-16-19, 12:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sting gave a free concert for the Oshawa plant-workers in Canada.

https://ilovebobfm.com/2019/02/15/st...ow-gm-workers/
Old 02-20-19, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a good video on how the auto industry is not being candid about the true reasons plants are closing.

Old 02-20-19, 06:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically, whatever rationalizations GM uses, it comes down to this: you pay your Mexico workers $1.90 - $4.00/hr. With benefits, it works out to about $8.00/hr. The company doesn't like paying its Detroit workers the $17.00 - $28.00/hr exclusive of benefits.

For decades CEOs and top executives have structured their pay on the basis of performance and stock dividends. The quickest and dirtiest way to achieve quarterly and annual results is to offload your high pay workers and use low wage production in other countries. GM is no different than any other corporation. GM says it wants to invest in the future with electric tech on its vehicles, but really this is a SUV/pickup truck company.
Old 02-20-19, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Basically, whatever rationalizations GM uses, it comes down to this: you pay your Mexico workers $1.90 - $4.00/hr. With benefits, it works out to about $8.00/hr. The company doesn't like paying its Detroit workers the $17.00 - $28.00/hr exclusive of benefits.
How many of GM's own executives would accept $1.90 an hour in their own paychecks? How about some leadership by example? If they really wanted to save money, they would put some of that money where their mouth is.
Old 02-20-19, 06:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

For decades CEOs and top executives have structured their pay on the basis of performance and stock dividends. The quickest and dirtiest way to achieve quarterly and annual results is to offload your high pay workers and use low wage production in other countries. GM is no different than any other corporation. GM says it wants to invest in the future with electric tech on its vehicles, but really this is a SUV/pickup truck company.
Makes a lot of sense. Sad to see it happen this way. Saw the new Balzer tonight, it said Made In Mexico on the door, across the floor, there was a Equinox, all over it l, Made In Canada.
Old 02-20-19, 07:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How many of GM's own executives would accept $1.90 an hour in their own paychecks? How about some leadership by example? If they really wanted to save money, they would put some of that money where their mouth is.

IMHO, it comes down to the basic human quality of empathy for someone else. One doesn't necessarily like the idea of autoworkers who could be a drag on the corporation's profits, but there is a need to dig a little further than just the headlines which repeat GM talking points. Some of the posters here are high income people and you can see the complete lack of any perspective about the world. They live in a bubble.

Makes a lot of sense. Sad to see it happen this way. Saw the new Blazer tonight, it said Made In Mexico on the door, across the floor, there was a Equinox, all over it l, Made In Canada.
That's what I think the Superbowl commercials were about. To get people to think about this very thing. Who's building your SUV. Wonder how long it's going to take GM to phase in the next step and simply outsource Equinox production to Mexico.
Old 02-20-19, 07:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I think the Superbowl commercials were about. To get people to think about this very thing. Who's building your SUV. Wonder how long it's going to take GM to phase in the next step and simply outsource Equinox production to Mexico.
Yes, I think it is a talking point. Deserves to be discussed. I was listening to the #1 talk radio station yesterday for a little while, it’s about sports topics but I only listen to hear about my beloved Raptors, the guy brought up Oshawa, and then mentioned he drives a GM full size SUV and his wife drives a Cadillac CTS. He flat out said, he will never drive a GM model ever again. Bright up the cost of labor in Mexico vs Canada, said it’s not right. Basically said F U GM. He has 17 million listeners in North America. I think if sales go down, dealers start getting pissed off, you just might see some sort of decision reversal.

Also, the liberal government wants to pass a ruling that federal contracts must only by Made In Canada.

So it is being discussed. Glad you took part in this discussion.

You are right. Eventually GM will no longer build in Canada for sure.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-20-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also, the liberal government wants to pass a ruling that federal contracts must only by Made In Canada.
That basically is what Trump was trying to accomplish with his Made-in-U.S. Executive order for federal agencies.

Eventually GM will no longer build in Canada for sure.
Then if they don't build in Canada, the question arises if they should maybe lose their license to sell there...but that is probably a subject for another thread, not this one.
Old 02-21-19, 05:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

and we wonder why GM has to layoff people when they have oveproduction glut like this. How the heck are they going to make 9000 corvettes disappear other than heavy discounts and destroying resale values, these arent family cars

https://www.motor1.com/news/306035/c...000-available/
Old 02-21-19, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and we wonder why GM has to layoff people when they have oveproduction glut like this. How the heck are they going to make 9000 corvettes disappear other than heavy discounts and destroying resale values, these arent family cars
Well, that's the whole idea of a Corvette...exotic-car performance at a much lower price. It's basically been that way since the 2Gen, late-1950s version.

I disagree, BTW, that new-car discounts on a 'Vette will destroy its resale value. Most used vehicles sell according to demand for that particular vehicle, not for what it sold for new. In general, the more demand, the higher the price.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-21-19 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 07:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Autoworkers only make $17-$28/hr.? That doesn't sound right at all. There are people working fast food at $13/hr. in DC.

I'll never forget Paul Ryan saying a woman got enough extra net pay after tax reform, to pay for her Costco membership. That is an indicator of how clueless some politicians can be. And I can't believe it took this long for people to realize, for many, this was a tax hike. For some, they would see an increase in net pay, and think that's all thanks to the reform. But their refund would shrink, making the net gain very small indeed. I get that the average person cannot do calculus, explain mph, nor understand how mpg is calculated. But we're in a world today where people can't add and subtract, and it's sad...

If you offer me $1.90/hr., I'll take it. Because I pay $5/day to use the bridge, $1.90/hr. easily eliminates that expense. We always rounded up to 2000 hours as we lowered days to 360. That's over 3 grand per year--3 grand more than those who get nothing, or who get laid off.

edit btw, GM, Akerson to be specific, is the only company to which I have sent a letter of a serious nature, via USPS to, where the CEO's office did not even respond. It's actually a very bad co. regardless of the bottom line. They used to have interns trolling the forums accomplishing nothing.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-21-19 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories