Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't have a problem with that...they should write all the letters they can write.
Old 12-14-18, 08:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 12-19-18, 05:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

GM announced 50 additional lay offs today. The battery plant that makes Volt batteries. A very Barra Christmas to those affected. Sad.
Old 12-20-18, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/dia...an-7-1.4226401

Personally. I think this is the Club Lexus story of the year

Old 12-21-18, 05:51 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/dia...an-7-1.4226401

Personally. I think this is the Club Lexus story of the year

I think this is recency bias. But let's assume that it's up there. Why is GM closing one plant and laying off 3,000 people in Canada a bigger story than them closing 4 plants and laying off 11,000 workers in the US? Is either of those bigger than several major auto CEOs (VW and Nissan) being arrested, one of them twice?

My vote for biggest story of the year would actually be the rise (and in one case, failure) of subscriptions. I don't think they're a particularly good idea, but it's something completely different.

Last edited by geko29; 12-21-18 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-21-18, 05:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
I think this is recency bias. But let's assume that it's up there. Why is GM closing one plant and laying off 3,000 people in Canada a bigger story than them closing 4 plants and laying off 11,000 workers in the US?
Oh, I was not referring to the Canadian part as the story of the year. I was referring to the overall closures in North America as the story of the year. The Canadian part where Unifor is trying to get GM to change their decision and GM will respond is just part of it. That is what I had meant, I guess I could of said thread of the year instead.
Old 12-21-18, 06:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Oh, I was not referring to the Canadian part as the story of the year. I was referring to the overall closures in North America as the story of the year. The Canadian part where Unifor is trying to get GM to change their decision and GM will respond is just part of it. That is what I had meant, I guess I could of said thread of the year instead.
Gotcha, that makes more sense.
Old 12-23-18, 03:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I think the success of the tesla 3 is the story of the year.
Old 01-06-19, 07:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

There apparently is going to be an announcement tomorrow by GM regarding the Oshawa plant.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...a-plant-future
Old 01-08-19, 01:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Unifor lost their bid to keep the Oshawa plant open. GM reaffirmed they would close the plant.
Old 01-08-19, 03:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

General Motors is standing by its plan to idle its assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

The company said Tuesday afternoon, in a letter to the head of Canada's autoworker union, Unifor, that union proposals to save the plant won't work.

"Unfortunately, all Unifor’s proposals would involve substantial incremental costs and a further deterioration of GM’s competitive position," the letter said. "Having completed an analysis of Unifor’s proposals, GM has determined that it cannot pursue them because they would not combat the declining economic and market factors that must be addressed."

Jerry Dias, the Unifor national leader, held a news conference in Windsor after meeting with GM officials in Detroit, saying the union is “deeply disappointed” in the response.

“The company was quite adamant … General Motors is holding firm with its decision,” the Windsor Star quoted Dias as saying.

“They have picked a fight with all of Canada,” he said.

GM announced on Nov. 26 that it planned to close three assembly plants by the end of 2019, including Detroit-Hamtramck, Lordstown in Ohio and Oshawa; along with transmission plants in Baltimore and Warren in suburban Detroit.

That affected more than 6,200 production jobs, including about 2,500 in Oshawa.

The Oshawa plant makes the Chevrolet Impala, Buick Regal and Cadillac XTS, some of the traditional cars GM is eliminating in the move as it, like Ford and Fiat Chrysler, moves more heavily toward in-demand and more profitable pickups and SUVs.

More: General Motors to close Detroit, Ohio, Canada plants

More: CEO Mary Barra tells members of Congress: GM must move forward

While GM has noted that many U.S. production workers, who are covered by a UAW contract, may have the option of transferring to other factories that make trucks, that's not the case in Canada.

GM's letter said half of Oshawa workers qualify for a GM pension, and said other assistance is available.

Closing GM’s Oshawa Assembly Plant by the end of the year is not only devastating for the workers there, “it’s going to devastate our community,” Colin James, president of Unifor Local 222, said in Windsor, the Star reported.

Dias said a “massive rally” will be held Friday in Windsor, coinciding with an investors’ meeting at GM world headquarters across the Detroit River.

Backlash against the cuts has been harsh in the United States, too, with Michigan and Ohio lawmakers criticizing the moves and citing government investment of $11 billion to save GM after its 2010 bankruptcy.

GM CEO Mary Barra traveled to Washington to meet with angry lawmakers, telling them the company must transform in relatively good times to meet future transportation challenges.

Its letter to Unifor underscored that: "There were a variety of declining and significant economic and market factors that precipitated the November 26th announcement, including but not limited to the substantial decline in the large car market caused by market shifts from sedans to crossovers and SUVs, significantly increased material costs, the discontinuation of the products currently produced at Oshawa, and excess capacity at GM combined with very low capacity utilization at Oshawa assembly. These economic factors created an imperative need to consolidate operations, reduce costs and improve cash flow."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...nt/2517266002/
Old 01-08-19, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

They have picked a fight with all of Canada,” he said.
Statement of the year.
Old 01-08-19, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Statement of the year.
Honestly, I don’t think most people really care. Canada has lost two GM plants in the last 10 years, they lost the Camaro plant in Quebec and the plants St Thomas. I think they lost Windsor years ago. People don’t care like we do. Mexico wages are $2 per hour, that high cost of Unifor is the reason.
Old 01-08-19, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Honestly, I don’t think most people really care. Canada has lost two GM plants in the last 10 years, they lost the Camaro plant in Quebec and the plants St Thomas. I think they lost Windsor years ago.

Perhaps so, but there is also a thing as going too far. And, when a sleeping bear awakes...............watch out.

People don’t care like we do. Mexico wages are $2 per hour, that high cost of Unifor is the reason.
And there is a reason why we should care. Even over and above the GM sedan production-issue (which, yes, is personal on my part), I care about people, and morally don't believe in exploiting labor. $2 an hour, IMO, is not an adequate wage, even in low-cost Mexico. I made more than that, right out of high school, almost a half century ago, working part-time, filling up gas tanks and doing minor service on vehicles...and I made twice that much (with health-insurance) on my first true full-time job. And I was not a goof-off....I earned it.
Old 01-08-19, 05:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Trump hasn’t mentioned it in a while. Nothing will happen. He’s moved on to his next issue and GM will continue to be GM.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories