Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 05:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have no issue with the Big 3 hourly pay, I think they would get that without unions, it is the pension/retirement plans that are ridiculous and that has nothing to do with putting food on the table for you and your kids. Unions and big 3 workers refusing to give on that when the company they work for is bankrupt or in major financial trouble is only hurting their workforce. Unions had a place back in the day but not so much now, they now typical cause more problems then any good they do(auto and steel industry). Public sector/Gov. union needs to go away too, they demand way too much, Federal pensions/healthcare are a huge part of our debt, Federal employees should be able to fired if they do a poor job, are the wrong choice, etc instead of basically have a guaranteed job until retirement.
Well said. 100% agree that Federal employers need to be easily fired if they do a poor job. In Ontario, the police union is incredibly strong. Next to impossible to fire a cop, we just recently had a cop who was convicted of attempted murder, he still was not fired until he finally was put in prison. Ontario cops collect full pay even on suspension, full union support even if they have been charged with a crime such as murder. Teachers also have an incredibly strong union as well.
Old 12-05-18, 05:04 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RBC Capital Markets analyst says VW might take up some of Ford's excess domestic plant capacity to build its cars in the US. An Asian or Euro auto manufacturer might like to buy a GM plant.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1O32JG
Old 12-05-18, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well said. 100% agree that Federal employers need to be easily fired if they do a poor job. In Ontario, the police union is incredibly strong. Next to impossible to fire a cop, we just recently had a cop who was convicted of attempted murder, he still was not fired until he finally was put in prison. Ontario cops collect full pay even on suspension, full union support even if they have been charged with a crime such as murder. Teachers also have an incredibly strong union as well.
So who's arguing that UAW people can't be fired or locked up if they commit a crime? Seems like a "solution" in search of a non-existant problem.
Old 12-05-18, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Federal employee pensions aren't at all what they used to be, they've been scaled back a lot.
Old 12-05-18, 06:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN1O42M2

Thoughts anyone?
Old 12-05-18, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Federal employee pensions aren't at all what they used to be, they've been scaled back a lot.

Yes and no. Because I started back in the 1970s, I was under the old CSRS system, which has an excellent pension (you can retire with a maximum of 80% of your high-3 salary), but there was no Social Security, because we didn't pay into it...we paid into our own CSRS retirement fund instead. You could get SS, of course, if you had 40 quarter-hours in private-industry, but most of us didn't, because we started in the Government young (I was 22). Later employees, starting in 1984, had a newer system.....the FERS, which did pay into Social Security, so they get SS when they retire. But, unlike CSRS, the FERS people get a lower pension, and cannot retire as early (I got out when I was 55). Older people like me, with CSRS, were offered the option of converting to FERS while we were still working...few of us did. And nobody hired after 1984 had the choice of CSRS....it was replaced by the new system, and CSRS was no longer an option.

So, in a nutshell, newer Federal employees have to work a little longer, give up some of the Federal pension, and also give up some of the ability to convert unused Annual and Sick leave into cash or income, but, to compensate, get Social Security, where we don't. And everybody, CSRS or FERS, retires with health-insurance....a very important benefit.

And unused Sick Leave is one thing that really helped me. I had over 3000 hours worth saved up over the years, unused. Under CSRS, that added a year and a half to my credit of Federal Service, and bumped up my pension significantly. And I was also able to cash in a one-time, lump-sum for my unused Annual Leave, which, saved up, was some 400 hours worth.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 05:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/sh...y-says-gm-ceo/

Very costly to move the Blazer to Ohio

Old 12-07-18, 07:54 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/sh...y-says-gm-ceo/

Very costly to move the Blazer to Ohio

Why? Why is it costly? "Trust me"?

There is no reason given.
Old 12-07-18, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course its costly, you have to pay US workers to build it vs Mexican workers
Old 12-07-18, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Of course its costly, you have to pay US workers to build it vs Mexican workers
Not just workers and the pay. You avoid the idiotic steel tariffs. Exporting out of Mexico to other countries is potentially less threatening and less political. Perhaps GM will just avoid the 75% quota and just pay the fine associated with it. All of what I just said this was decided upon by GM while NAFTA was threatened with a cancellation as well.

Just imagine if you were planning a product and had no idea if there will be or not be tariffs. No idea if what parts content might be. No idea if emissions standards will be set. No idea if steel will be cheaper or cost more. No idea of if other countries will kick in retaliatory tariffs etc etc. Or just have no idea if the trade agreement will be terminated. I would play it safe and go somewhere that makes it easy to deal with the rest of the world.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-07-18 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-07-18, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agree on all points...
Old 12-07-18, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think this is just PR fluff.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...idle-gm-plants

in contrast, workers asking Trump to hold these companies accountable

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/12/0...plant-closures

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-07-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 06:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Let’s keep this out of the debate forum folks. Minimize the politics cheerleading MM
Old 12-07-18, 07:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Let’s keep this out of the debate forum folks. Minimize the politics cheerleading MM

I'll delete the post, Dave.
Old 12-07-18, 08:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think this is just PR posturing by Toyota to take advantage of the current situation of GM abandoning large cars. Surprised to read how bad car sales have fallen.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/12/to...er-car-biased/

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories