Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Here's the report from Bob Lutz:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...ffs-not-silly/

Bob Lutz called GM’s transformative decision “not silly at all.” Adding, “the hard fact is in North America…passenger cars are simply not in demand.” And he’s not wrong. Demand for passenger cars is faltering with crossovers, SUVs, and pickup trucks stealing customers. Earlier this year, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles laid out a five-year strategy focused on crossovers and SUVs. Ford also made news when it decided to eliminate passenger cars from North America in the next few years. U.S. consumers aren’t fans of sedans and hatchbacks anymore.

“This is just economic reality, and it’ll hit everybody,” Lutz said in the interview. “It’s also a sign of changing times as demand shifts from cars.”
So, Mike what do you have to say about Bob Lutz now? He still good or does this make him an idiot too?

EDIT: JDR beat me to it!
Old 12-04-18, 03:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I tend to take what Bob "Tesla is headed for the graveyard" Lutz says and believe the opposite. He also said Tesla would never make it to 2019. Hmmmm.
Old 12-04-18, 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here's the report from Bob Lutz:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/11/...ffs-not-silly/

So, Mike what do you have to say about Bob Lutz now?
He's correct about sedans waning in demand. But that doesn't mean that they all have to be axed....nor did he say that he personally supported such a move. He likes big sedans himself.

Also interesting that most other companies outside of Ford and GM show no sign of dumping their sedans. Dodge and Chrysler, of course, dumped their smaller ones, but are apparently keeping the Charger and 300.

And I checked out the new Avalon today. I'll talk about that in another thread, as Dave wants us to keep other test-drives out of this one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-04-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He's correct about sedans waning in demand. But that doesn't mean that they all have to be axed....nor did he say that he personally supported such a move. He likes big sedans himself.

Also interesting that most other companies outside of Ford and GM show no sign of dumping their sedans. Dodge and Chrysler, of course, dumped their smaller ones, but are apparently keeping the Charger and 300.
They are not dumping all sedans. The Malibu will stick around. CTS, ATS still around.

Toyota can keep their sedans around because they can increase the price to offset the lower volume when that occurs. Toyota can also export as well. And the Toyota plants are working at 15% capacity and just one shift like some of these GM plants.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-04-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 03:39 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The unions hold just as much responsibility for this as the dying sedan market does. If GM wants to lower costs, their only way to do this seems to be to close plants, layoff workers, etc. The unions WILL NOT work with GM to negotiate lower wages, benefits, etc. even if this means keeping more jobs. All this being said, I'm not sure if GM even considered renegotiating contracts before coming to the decision were at now. Unless, they start off with the most drastic scenario and negotiate with the unions from here. I'm curious to see how this all plays out, both for GM and politically.

Last edited by COOLIS; 12-04-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 04:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The unions hold just as much responsibility for this as the dying sedan market does. If GM wants to lower costs, their only way to do this seems to be to close plants, layoff workers, etc. The unions WILL NOT work with GM to negotiate lower wages, benefits, etc. even if this means keeping more jobs. All this being said, I'm not sure if GM even considered renegotiating contracts before coming to the decision were at now. Unless, they start off with the most drastic scenario and negotiate with the unions from here. I'm curious to see how this all plays out, both for GM and politically.
If that's the case, then why are even UAW jobs in the auto plants paying, on average, about half of what they were in the 1970s...especially for base, starting-level jobs? The UAW has accepted huge cutbacks over the years...and the UAW itself even put up some of the money (besides Fiat and the U.S. Government) that was included in the GM and Chrysler buyouts, to help save the two corporations.
Old 12-04-18, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If that's the case,s.
mmarshall. Have you seen the film Roger & Me? I highly, highly recommend you see it if you have not. I think everyone should see the movie, it is related to what we are all discussing in this thread. Very very sad film. The closing of these GM plants are just catastrophic.

My heart goes out to all those who will losing their jobs. Such a tragic event. The people getting evicted was just so sad.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-04-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 06:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, thats exactly what he said. He said he agreed with the move and that it was the way the industry was going, and that it would eventually impact everybody. What he prefers himself is meaningless because he understands the business. Its not the "build what Bob Lutz likes" company.

Why do you think Chrysler has two models, and there's no slated replacement for the 300? Why does FCA's 5 year plan not discuss sedans at all?

You're not looking at this objectively at all.

And like Jill said, GM isn't dumping all their sedans for now, just they aren't planning on making the models built at this plant when they idle the plant. Do I think they will cancel more sedans? Yes.
Old 12-04-18, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

mmarshall. Have you seen the film Roger & Me? I highly, highly recommend you see it if you have not. I think everyone should see the movie, it is related to what we are all discussing in this thread. Very very sad film. The closing of these GM plants are just catastrophic.

My heart goes out to all those who will losing their jobs. Such a tragic event. The people getting evicted was just so sad.

Don't remember seeing all of it, but I might have seen parts of it. How old is it?

Roger Smith never impressed me. He represented the worst of GM, during a time when, IMO, some of its worst vehicles were produced.
Old 12-04-18, 06:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is an article on some of the women who work at the plant.

https://www.chatelaine.com/news/osha...-closing-2019/
Old 12-04-18, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really tough...sucks all the way around.
Old 12-04-18, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here is an article on some of the women who work at the plant.

https://www.chatelaine.com/news/osha...-closing-2019/

Thanks. I noticed one of them wrote to Premier Doug Ford. Is he any relation to Toronto's Ex-Mayor Rob Ford, or don't you know? I'm sorry for Rob that his life was cut short by (apparent) cancer, but I cannot say I was impressed wth him. He ran around constantly acting like he was either drunk or high on something, and there were some reports that he was smoking crack.
Old 12-04-18, 07:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. I noticed one of them wrote to Premier Doug Ford. Is he any relation to Toronto's Ex-Mayor Rob Ford, or don't you know? I'm sorry for Rob that his life was cut short by (apparent) cancer, but I cannot say I was impressed wth him. He ran around constantly acting like he was high on something, and there were some reports that he was smoking crack.
They were brothers. Doug Ford did his best, he wanted to get the city of Toronto to do better. And yes, he was doing crack. Premier Ford just reduced city council to match the federal and provincial set up. Hopefully Ford will persuade the city of Toronto to remove the dual land transfer tax. Anyways, back to the topic of the thread, Ford is not saying much about this GM closure as he does not want to give GM money. Ironically the Province gave Toyota money for their Ontario plant or plants.
Old 12-04-18, 07:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks. I noticed one of them wrote to Premier Doug Ford. Is he any relation to Toronto's Ex-Mayor Rob Ford, or don't you know? I'm sorry for Rob that his life was cut short by (apparent) cancer, but I cannot say I was impressed wth him. He ran around constantly acting like he was either drunk or high on something, and there were some reports that he was smoking crack.
Premier Doug Ford is the late Rob Ford's older brother. They were joined at the hip when Rob Ford was mayor and Doug Ford was a city councillor. They even look alike.

Many people here compared Donald Trump to Rob Ford, and now Doug Ford is compared to Donald Trump. Enough said.
Old 12-04-18, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Premier Doug Ford is the late Rob Ford's older brother. They were joined at the hip when Rob Ford was mayor and Doug Ford was a city councillor. They even look alike.
Thanks. I suspected that, but was not sure.

Many people here compared Donald Trump to Rob Ford,
Not even close...but this is probably not the thread to get into that too deeply. We'd be off-topic.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories