Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 05:27 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...120-story.html

Here is another source on the matter.
Once again you show Alex was right on with his video and having 2019 model SUV's wouldn't matter since they could not be sold.
Old 11-23-18, 05:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Once again you show Alex was right on with his video and having 2019 model SUV's wouldn't matter since they could not be sold.
I dont think I ever said Alex was wrong. I believe I asked where was his so called information coming from? He used previously published information to make a video.

Anyone you look at it. It is unbelievable that parent Corp Hyundai messes up this Genesis launch either by product or now by distribution which is just a contribution to their issues.
Old 11-23-18, 01:06 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is another source on the matter.
Lol. Sounds like you're splitting hairs about who reported what, when, are you not? This story dates well back to 2017 when the first reports emerged on how Hyundai had bungled its Genesis rollout. All the other stuff was either reported locally or was a followup to subsequent events. All Alex on Autos has done is post something on his Youtube channel for his subscribers.

It's not reasonable to hold him up to some sort of legacy media standard when clearly, he only has under 250K for subscribers (an impressive feat in itself). He's not going to be doing NYT or WSJ stuff here. It's just a guy doing car reviews. You state that you find media to be biased and not trustworthy and put more stock in what actual people think about their cars. Yet you keep citing the very mainstream media sources you say might be biased. Alex is just a regular guy talking cars on his Youtube channel. So he's not good enough for you?

Yes his channel is atrocious for bad video production standards and he isn't exactly telegenic but his subscribers do seem to see him as informative in a way that maybe others are not. I don't like his constant arm waving and bad on camera appearance. It looks really, really amateurish compared to others. But you can see why he looks for insights about vehicles he reviews. He's basically a walking, talking nerd encyclopedia about the cars that are parked behind him.
Old 11-23-18, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Lol. Sounds like you're splitting hairs about who reported what, when, are you not? This story dates well back to 2017 when the first reports emerged on how Hyundai had bungled its Genesis rollout. All the other stuff was either reported locally or was a followup to subsequent events. All Alex on Autos has done is post something on his Youtube channel for his subscribers.

It's not reasonable to hold him up to some sort of legacy media standard when clearly, he only has under 250K for subscribers (an impressive feat in itself). He's not going to be doing NYT or WSJ stuff here. It's just a guy doing car reviews. You state that you find media to be biased and not trustworthy and put more stock in what actual people think about their cars. Yet you keep citing the very mainstream media sources you say might be biased. Alex is just a regular guy talking cars on his Youtube channel. So he's not good enough for you?

Yes his channel is atrocious for bad video production standards and he isn't exactly telegenic but his subscribers do seem to see him as informative in a way that maybe others are not. I don't like his constant arm waving and bad on camera appearance. It looks really, really amateurish compared to others. But you can see why he looks for insights about vehicles he reviews. He's basically a walking, talking nerd encyclopedia about the cars that are parked behind him.
No. not splitting hairs. Alex is fluff stuff. I was trying to find out what his credibility was and what type of schooling he might of had, but I cannot find the info, all I am trying to say is that he needs to be held accountable for his claims. So does anyone else in media.

And, Yes, media is very biased. However, one should expect some sort level of legal accountability when it comes to making claims about something.
Old 11-23-18, 01:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unlike most of us in Car Chat, Alex is technically a member of the auto press, and often has access to data that we don't, except for what we read. The only poster in Car Chat I know of that has access to a lot of technical information like that, from the industry in general, is Carmaker1, though some on the CL staff may get inside Lexus info before the rest of us do. I used to be one of three CL Editors (before they abolished the title)...but that was little more than just a moniker for someone who wrote car-related articles in the forum. We did not have any inside info on matters like this.
How does this guy get the scoop that no one else has?
Old 11-23-18, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How does this guy get the scoop that no one else has?
Obviously we can't answer that in full-detail, but he gives me the impression that he is just a diligent guy who spends his spare time researching things, instead of going out and drinking beer with his buddies. You can tell that in the way he does his videos...he's straight-talk, no nonsense, and to the point, and doesn't go around making faces while he talks or showing a bunch of emotion like, say, Doug DeMuro, or clowning around like Jeremy Clarkson.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-18 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 02:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I found this to be a good analysis piece from Alex. I do not feel that this was blue-sky speculation but rather it was informed, educated guesstimate.

This story has become a long, drawn-out serial exercise in assembling a large, complicated jigsaw puzzle, with tiny individual pieces (news pieces such as the suit brought forward by the Hyundai dealers) given out over months rather than all at once; because of the long time involved, we have lost pieces, forgetting where we had placed the puzzle pieces over time.

All Alex did was to assemble the pieces for us and, using his big-picture knowledge of the auto industry, help to fill in the blanks where pieces may have been missing.
Old 11-23-18, 03:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. not splitting hairs. Alex is fluff stuff. I was trying to find out what his credibility was and what type of schooling he might of had, but I cannot find the info, all I am trying to say is that he needs to be held accountable for his claims. So does anyone else in media. And, Yes, media is very biased. However, one should expect some sort level of legal accountability when it comes to making claims about something.
So you want this amateur Youtuber to be held to the same standards as legacy print media? Do you have the qualifications in journalism and training or experience in this field to determine what the benchmark is? And please don't cue the usual, "oh now it's personal" defense, thank you very much, lol.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Obviously we can't answer that in full-detail, but he gives me the impression that he is just a diligent guy who spends his spare time researching things, instead of going out and drinking beer with his buddies. You can tell that in the way he does his videos...he's straight-talk, no nonsense, and to the point, and doesn't go around making faces while he talks or showing a bunch of emotion like, say, Doug DeMuro, or clowning around like Jeremy Clarkson.
Jeremy Clarkson can be IMHO considered to be the low point of automotive... ahem... cough, cough "journalism". That took a lot to cough that up He is/was an entertainer. Kinda like Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin. Except Dean Martin never slugged one of his producers in the face, lol. But I get what you're saying.
Old 11-23-18, 08:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Alex is fluff stuff.
I'll take alex's 'fluff' over your opinion that kia, hyundai, genesis are in decline. In this thread you've conflated and spun various unrelated reports, comments, and your opinions into a changing and unsupported 'theory', even though alex's video is consistent with other reports, helpful, and professionaly presented.

but no matter what everyone else has written to the contrary of what you have written, i've no doubt you'll continue to beat your own drum.

Old 11-23-18, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I'll take alex's 'fluff' over your opinion that kia, hyundai, genesis are in decline.

Also, bit, unlike some others, you've actually done your part, by buying one, to help keep Genesis from going into decline.

One thing, though, which seems to be overlooked, is how Trump's tariffs could affect Genesis imports.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'll take alex's 'fluff' over your opinion that kia, hyundai, genesis are in decline.

Fair response . However, in decline I mean by sales figures, I am not sure how I could be wrong that all three Hyundai corp brands have shown a sales decrease (perhaps I am wrong on that). . That's all. Quality, awards, satisfaction etc, I have nothing but good things to say in that regard

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-24-18 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I'll take alex's 'fluff' over your opinion that kia, hyundai, genesis are in decline. I
uh, they are in decline. And there is a reason they separated dealers - they want more profit per car sold, and not upcoming luxury brand to be sold under manufacturing prices. Decline of Genesis sales happened long before last month when 2019 were supposed to arrive, yes it is due to them limiting it to much smaller number of dealers but again that is in the quest of future sustainability and growth... it was pretty crazy to build a network previously where 300 dealers would sell 3-4 cars a month on average. What kind of service could those dealers provide to the buyers when they sell 2 cars per month? so they would just discount them $10k per vehicle to move them off the lots and that was not helping anyone.

Hyundai changed a lot of their managment this year due to lower profits/sales/quality issues with all of their brands. They actually are having a lot of problems worldwide, it is not a problem from someone posting on CL...

SEOUL (Reuters) - Hyundai Motor Co’s (005380.KS) quarterly profit halved to an almost six-year low, as bleak U.S. and China sales contrasted with those at home where the automaker is picking up customers of General Motors Co’s (GM.N) troubled South Korean arm.
SEOUL (Reuters) - Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS) on Thursday reported a 14 percent drop in quarterly net profit, missing estimates by a substantial margin, as the South Korean automaker continued to struggle with lackluster sales in the United States and China.
They literally have 6 years of declining profits. That is horrible and I dont think there is another manufacturer that is doing that bad right now in the world. Just google hyundai profits. This is at time when Toyota has largest profits in the company history.
Old 11-24-18, 06:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
uh, they are in decline. And there is a reason they separated dealers - they want more profit per car sold, and not upcoming luxury brand to be sold under manufacturing prices. Decline of Genesis sales happened long before last month when 2019 were supposed to arrive, yes it is due to them limiting it to much smaller number of dealers but again that is in the quest of future sustainability and growth... it was pretty crazy to build a network previously where 300 dealers would sell 3-4 cars a month on average. What kind of service could those dealers provide to the buyers when they sell 2 cars per month? so they would just discount them $10k per vehicle to move them off the lots and that was not helping anyone.

Hyundai changed a lot of their managment this year due to lower profits/sales/quality issues with all of their brands. They actually are having a lot of problems worldwide, it is not a problem from someone posting on CL...

They literally have 6 years of declining profits. That is horrible and I dont think there is another manufacturer that is doing that bad right now in the world. Just google hyundai profits. This is at time when Toyota has largest profits in the company history.
Thank you so much for this post. I feel a good justification for my earlier comments.
Old 11-24-18, 07:59 AM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article is only a few weeks old:

How Hyundai Motor, once a rising star, lost its shine

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hyundai-motor-mojo/how-hyundai-motor-once-a-rising-star-lost-its-shine-idUSKCN1N90PZ

"In 2009, Hyundai and partner Kia’s combined sales ranked third in China after General Motors and Volkswagen. The South Korean duo now ranks ninth and its market share in China has more than halved to 4 percent last year, from more than 10 percent at the beginning of this decade."

"In the United States, the world’s second-biggest auto market, Hyundai’s market share fell to 4 percent last year, near a decade low."

"Hyundai ran into problems in China and the United States for similar reasons: It missed shifts in consumer tastes, especially the surge in demand for SUVs, and it sought higher prices than its brand image could command, four Chinese dealers and half a dozen former and current U.S. dealers, executives and employees said."

"Last month, Hyundai posted a 68 percent plunge in third-quarter net profit and reported its operating margin shrank to 2.7 percent in the January-September period. In 2011, Hyundai’s operating margin of 10.3 percent was the industry’s highest after Germany’s BMW."
Old 11-24-18, 08:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by article
Hyundai ran into problems in China and the United States for similar reasons: It missed shifts in consumer tastes, especially the surge in demand for SUVs, and it sought higher prices than its brand image could command, four Chinese dealers and half a dozen former and current U.S. dealers, executives and employees said."
I can't speak for everyone, but, as far as I'm concerned (and I've looked at a lot of new Kia, Hyundai, and Genesis products) the public itself is missing the boat on this one. These products definitely give you what you pay for, and, in an a number of cases, more. There an old saying that the customer is always right, but not when the customer willingly refuses to open his or her eyes.

Quick Reply: Alex Dykes on why Genesis sales are temporarily delayed.