2020 Ford Explorer spied close to production - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
2020 Ford Explorer spied close to production >

2020 Ford Explorer spied close to production

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Ford Explorer spied close to production

Old 12-05-18, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It just isnít an issue
Old 12-05-18, 09:38 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Niiiiiiiiice
Old 12-05-18, 09:45 PM
ABC
Lexus Test Driver

Exterior is nice, but interior, meh... Curious to see how a base aviator compares to an optioned explorer cost wise.
Old 12-06-18, 08:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic

I actually like the interior but not the exterior. Something about the exterior just seems kind of off to me.

With the exception of the dial transmission selector, I think the interior is a huge improvement over the outgoing model.
Old 12-07-18, 09:36 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

The central infortainment screen may look "tacked on" but I assure you that it is not; it is most definitely securely fastened. I personally believe that the tacked-on look is merely the current fashion, and if the instrument panel designs we are now seeing from Mercedes-Benz (where the driver and central displays are at the same level and even have glare shields) are any indication, I believe that other automakers will slowly start to integrate their central displays better.

As for the electromagnetic fields that it emits, again, I have no doubt that the automotive electronics engineers have done their due diligence and shielded it from interfering with any personal electronics that drivers and their passengers may carry in the car. Our home and office computers and computer display screens do not interfere with other electronics, so why would we expect the car's electronics to interfere with other electronics?

Part of the shielding and non-interference are the device standards that these electronics must adhere to, including the Qi wireless charging standard. The power transmitter in the car (the charging pad on which you place your device) is designed to work only with a Qi-compatible receiver; and the Qi-compatible receiver in the phone is designed only to work with a Qi-compatible charger. Furthermore, the transmitter and receiver are designed and built only to work when in close proximity, and the receiver (the phone) must be placed properly on the charger (an incorrect placement may prevent the phone from charging).
Old 01-04-19, 03:43 PM
Hoovey2411

Default Ford unveils 2020 Police Interceptor Utility

Standard police version of 2020 Ford Explorer is an AWD hybrid

Ford has released photos and information for the new Police Interceptor Utility, or the police cruiser version of the upcoming 2020 Explorer. In a way, these images provide the first official look into the new Explorer, as well as showing off the police variant's features.

The 2020 Police Interceptor Utility comes standard with a 3.3-liter hybrid, all-wheel-drive powertrain. The optional engines are the 3.0-liter EcoBoost and the 3.3-liter, non-hybrid V6, which are also coupled to AWD as standard. The transmission is Ford's 10-speed automatic. Ford predicts the 3.3-liter hybrid version can save between $3,500 and $5,700 in annual fuel costs per vehicle, as its EPA rating of 24 mpg is a 41-percent improvement over the outgoing 3.7-liter model's fuel economy figure.

Also according to Ford, the new model is quite a bit faster than the previous generation 3.7-liter. In a 0-60 test performed by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the 3.3-liter hybrid came out 1.1 seconds faster, the gap growing to 4.7 seconds when accelerating to 100 mph. The top speed is mentioned to be 137 mph. As we reported on the Michigan State Police's tests, the 3.0 EcoBoost version hits 60 mph in 5.77 seconds and goes all the way to 150 mph.

Ford says the platform was designed around a hybrid variant from the get-go, meaning that the lithium-ion battery doesn't compromise the available loadspace or passenger compartment space compared to non-hybrid versions, and that there's now more room compared to the outgoing SUV. The vehicles are highly connected, as they come standard with a modem setup and two years of Ford Telematic service free of charge. There's also a Police Perimeter Alert system, which has a 270-degree field of view to warn about intruders. The alert function turns on the vehicle's rear camera, triggers a chime, closes open windows and locks doors. The display cluster shows motion trails of what the system detects.

Looks-wise, the Police Interceptor Utility follows what we have so far seen in Explorer spy shots. The civil SUV will reportedly be unveiled on January 9 at Ford Field, right before the 2019 Detroit Auto Show.
Source
Old 01-04-19, 04:52 PM
Kense
Driver

Good Police Fleet car, I wouldn't want a car that everybody assumes is a cop when behind them. Especially in Black at night.
Old 01-04-19, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those interested, here's the official literature (and some specs) on the 2020 Police Interceptor from Ford's own web site, although Ford has only released a limited amount of data on it publiclly.

https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles...ybrid-utility/
Old 01-04-19, 07:08 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

I don’t like the headlights touching the front grille. I prefer the current Explorer front fascia to the all new redesign. The side and rear look pretty good though. Interior is also nice for a Explorer.
Old 01-04-19, 07:50 PM
BrettJacks
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kense View Post
Good Police Fleet car, I wouldn't want a car that everybody assumes is a cop when behind them. Especially in Black at night.
I couldn't drive any vehicle that is a common police vehicle

My biggest issue, though, with the Explorer is that it's no longer a body-on-frame SUV.
Old 01-04-19, 07:57 PM
Hoovey2411

Originally Posted by BrettJacks View Post
My biggest issue, though, with the Explorer is that it's no longer a body-on-frame SUV.
But the new Explorer and Aviator are on the rear-wheel-drive based CD6 platform so that's good
Old 01-04-19, 10:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I have no interest in a BOF SUV any longer. Unibody vehicles are much nicer to drive, better space inside, etc. I'd prefer a RWD platform though, which its luckily getting.

I banged around for plenty of years in a BOF Explorer to last me the rest of my life lol
Old 01-05-19, 07:40 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by BrettJacks View Post
the current one isn't either so that ship has sailed long ago. At least this new one is red and has much better proportions.
Old 01-05-19, 07:47 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

I like it. It looks alright.
Old 01-05-19, 08:19 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

not bad for an exploder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: