Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carlos Ghosn arrested...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 05:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default Carlos Ghosn arrested...

And possibly arrested for corruption!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/business/carlos-ghosn-nissan-renault/index.html

Nissan is preparing to oust its chairman, Carlos Ghosn, after discovering "significant acts of misconduct" over many years by him and another top executive.

The stunning announcement about one of the global auto industry's highest-profile leaders slammed the stocks of Nissan (NSANY) and Renault (RNSDF), two of the carmakers that Ghosn leads.
Nissan said in a statement that it had been investigating Ghosn and another board member for months, and was now cooperating with Japanese prosecutors. Japanese media reported that Ghosn was being questioned by prosecutors and could be arrested.

More at link above
Old 11-19-18, 05:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds like a way to put a japanese head in charge instead of a foreigner. I bet this was going on for some time, just needed to wait for the right moment to oust
Old 11-19-18, 06:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

He has now been arrested.
Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn has been arrested by prosecutors in Japan after an internal investigation revealed "significant acts of misconduct" over many years by him and another top executive.
The company said its investigation found that Ghosn, 64, and the other board member, Greg Kelly, had been under-reporting Ghosn's compensation. "Numerous other significant acts of misconduct have been uncovered, such as personal use of company assets," it added.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/busin...ult/index.html
Old 11-19-18, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't forget, folks, Japanese authorities have blown it before with auto executives. Remember when they arrested Toyota's Julie Hamp for allegedly bringing in some medications in her suitcase (which she had valid American prescriptions for) that they claimed were against Japanese law? There were a lot of jokes, at the time, on the Internet, about Julie "Hemp", but the fact was that it not only caused Toyota a lot of unnecessary embarrassment, but the authorities ended up releasing her after THEY also went through a major embarrassment.

Even John DeLorean, who got arrested in Los Angeles with a suitcase full of cocaine, eventually managed to have the charges overturned, and claimed, to his last day, that the cocaine was planted.

So, we'll see what happens with this Ghosn case.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-19-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 07:39 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget, folks, Japanese authorities have blown it before with auto executives. Remember when they arrested Toyota's Julie Hamp for allegedly bringing in some medications in her suitcase (which she had valid American prescriptions for) that they claimed were against Japanese law? There were a lot of jokes, at the time, on the Internet, about Julie "Hemp", but the fact was that it not only caused Toyota a lot of unnecessary embarrassment, but the authorities ended up releasing her after THEY also went through a major embarrassment.

Even John DeLorean, who got arrested in Los Angeles with a suitcase full of cocaine, eventually managed to have the charges overturned, and claimed, to his last day, that the cocaine was planted.

So, we'll see what happened with this Ghosn case.
Big difference in carrying drugs vs altering income over a 5 yr period on financial statements.
Old 11-19-18, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Big difference in carrying drugs vs altering income over a 5 yr period on financial statements.
Perhaps so, but why a guy who probably makes a nine-figure salary would try to hide part of his income beats me. He can well-afford the taxes on it. I mean......look where that got Paul Manafort LOL.
Old 11-19-18, 02:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And possibly arrested for corruption!
Remember what he did to the interiors of Nissan vehicles back in the early 2000s? (I'm sure you do). Now THERE's something to be arrested for LOL.
Old 11-19-18, 06:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Naughty naughty Mr. Ghosen. Words of advice, don’t drop the soap.
Old 11-19-18, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Never cared for the guy nor what he did for Nissan. Something about is name never sat right with me. Just tonight, the local newscaster called him "Carlos Gone."
Old 11-20-18, 01:32 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Allegations seem to be very weak at best.
Hiding true income by using the company to pay for personal expenses etc.

What CEO/Chairman is Not guilty of that? These people have their own corporate cards and spending accounts. Unless he was stealing tens of millions of dollars somehow by transferring into his personal bank account - this is bogus. Looks more like a power struggle with the current Japanese Nissan CEO looking to get rid of Ghosn.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 11-20-18 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-20-18, 09:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Never cared for the guy nor what he did for Nissan. Something about is name never sat right with me. Just tonight, the local newscaster called him "Carlos Gone."
you mean saving nissan from completely going under and back to profitability?
Old 11-20-18, 11:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
you mean saving nissan from completely going under and back to profitability?
Nah. From not raising the quality of products. Nissans are still on the disposable side of the car coin.
Old 11-20-18, 11:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the irony is there would be no Nissan products for you to complain about if they went under without Ghosn. This guy was getting separate paychecks from multiple major car manufacturers for a reason.

Just a daily reminder for everyone, the tax code is commonly used as a political weapon. Pretty much everyone violates the tax code in some way or another.
Old 11-20-18, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the irony is there would be no Nissan products for you to complain about if they went under without Ghosn.
I'm not sure I totally agree with your reasoning. Isuzu, Suzuki, Daihatsu, Daewoo, and a number of other companies left the American market, and Plymouth, Mercury, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer, Eagle, Saab, and Scion all went out of business, period , in the last 10-15 years, and I don't see a whole lot of complaining going on, though sometimes you do see a little griping from Pontiac fans who say that Buick should have gotten the axe instead of Pontiac. And I myself sometimes complain about how Saturn was seriously mismanaged and allowed to die.

Just a daily reminder for everyone, the tax code is commonly used as a political weapon. Pretty much everyone violates the tax code in some way or another.
There are plenty of legal tax shelters in the code, particularly with municipal bond interest/dividends (something I have taken advantage of for decades). In most cases, one does not have to cheat. And, the more you donate to recognized 501c3 charities (including that old clunker, BTW, that you are tired of looking at in your driveway), the more your tax-deductions will be.
Old 11-20-18, 12:22 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are plenty of legal tax shelters in the code, particularly with municipal bond interest/dividends (something I have taken advantage of for decades). In most cases, one does not have to cheat. And, the more you donate to recognized 501c3 charities (including that old clunker, BTW, that you are tired of looking at in your driveway), the more your tax-deductions will be.
We are not talking about only US tax code.
Nissan is an international company that needs to abide by many different tax laws.

So far there has be no evidence provided of what exactly Ghosn did or why the internal and external auditors did not pick up on it.

Again to me this whole thing is about power struggle more than anything between Renault and Nissan. Renault was not advised of this investigation or given a heads up on the arrest - which is rather strange.
I expect this to happen in Russia or China - just goes to show how protective Japan is to their auto industry.

Quick Reply: Carlos Ghosn arrested...