Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carlos Ghosn arrested...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Nah. From not raising the quality of products. Nissans are still on the disposable side of the car coin.
I don't agree with that. I've driven several modern Nissans lately that I thought were really well built cars.
Old 11-20-18, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't agree with that. I've driven several modern Nissans lately that I thought were really well built cars.

The Altima is indeed impressive. Not quite the case withe some of the other new designs, though.
Old 11-20-18, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
We are not talking about only US tax code.
Yes....agreed. I was only using that part of the U.S. code as one example.

Again to me this whole thing is about power struggle more than anything between Renault and Nissan. Renault was not advised of this investigation or given a heads up on the arrest - which is rather strange.
I might be wrong, but the way I remembered it, the Japanese didn't send any official notification to our own State Department when they arrested Julie Hamp, who was a Toyota executive but also an American citizen.
Old 11-20-18, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Altima is indeed impressive. Not quite the case withe some of the other new designs, though.
Altima, Maxima, Rogue, Murano I was all impressed with insofar as build quality.
Old 11-20-18, 07:01 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes....agreed. I was only using that part of the U.S. code as one example.

I might be wrong, but the way I remembered it, the Japanese didn't send any official notification to our own State Department when they arrested Julie Hamp, who was a Toyota executive but also an American citizen.
ok But in this case Renault is the majority shareholder in Nissan and Ghosn is their CEO as well. I think it’s important for them to have been in the loop considering the major ramifications the arrest would have.
Old 11-20-18, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

ok But in this case Renault is the majority shareholder in Nissan and Ghosn is their CEO as well. I think it’s important for them to have been in the loop considering the major ramifications the arrest would have.
While it is indeed possible (I won't completely discount it), I will be very surprised if Ghosn winds up behind bars for any significant length of time. Of course, that was once said of Paul Manafort, too, so, if Ghosn does end up doing a long prison term, I'll stand corrected. But, if they couldn't put VW's Ferdinand Peich in prison (and Peich himself gave the orders to run afoul of the law, if necessary, to get VW diesels to pass EPA tests), then my current view is Good Luck trying to do so with Ghosn.
Old 11-20-18, 08:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Mr. Ghosn is chair of the board of directors (responsible for representing the shareholders) of Nissan but gave up the position of President / CEO (responsible for the daily operations of the company) a year ago to Hiroto Saikawa.

Mr. Ghosn is also chair of the board of directors of Mitsubishi Motors; and also chair and CEO of Renault. Renault does not own a majority of Nissan (Renault only owns 43.4% of Nissan shares) although under Japanese law, one-third ownership is enough to give control.

Nissan bought 34% of Mitsubishi Motors (but not all of the Mitsubishi companies) 2 years ago, giving Nissan control of Mitsubishi Motors; and since Renault has control of Nissan, Renault effectively has -- through Mr. Ghosn -- control of Mitsubishi Motors.

Perhaps Nissan (which is 60% larger in sales than Renault) is trying to break away from control by Renault (which has the French government as its largest single shareholder, at 15%).

It seems like quite a soap opera.
Old 11-20-18, 08:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
It seems like quite a soap opera.
.......and don't forget the soap opera that Elon Musk is also giving us LOL.
Old 11-29-18, 12:58 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allegations seem to be very weak at best.
Hiding true income by using the company to pay for personal expenses etc.

What CEO/Chairman is Not guilty of that? These people have their own corporate cards and spending accounts. Unless he was stealing tens of millions of dollars somehow by transferring into his personal bank account - this is bogus. Looks more like a power struggle with the current Japanese Nissan CEO looking to get rid of Ghosn.
We are not talking about only US tax code.
Nissan is an international company that needs to abide by many different tax laws.

So far there has be no evidence provided of what exactly Ghosn did or why the internal and external auditors did not pick up on it.

Again to me this whole thing is about power struggle more than anything between Renault and Nissan. Renault was not advised of this investigation or given a heads up on the arrest - which is rather strange.
I expect this to happen in Russia or China - just goes to show how protective Japan is to their auto industry.
But in this case Renault is the majority shareholder in Nissan and Ghosn is their CEO as well. I think it’s important for them to have been in the loop considering the major ramifications the arrest would have.
I really don't think any of you actually understand the law here in Japan. I know, b/c our company and our family get tax audited every 5 years or so. And I know how thorough and precise they are when it comes to getting our hard earned money in tax dollars/Yen. Our last audit took 4 months to complete with a team of 5 people doing nothing but looking at our company and how we spend our money. And while there is nothing wrong with using the companies money for specific things such as a company car or say a house, it becomes a big problem when the tax department deems that as personal assets or in other words a bonus or part of your salary. You HAVE to declare this and any Japanese accountant worth their salt will advise you to do so. Maybe he had foreign accountants? This will result in being accused of what you guys in the states would call tax evasion and if it looks to be calculated and very well thought out it will up the severity of the punishment. I would guess they have been looking at his records for the last few month, maybe even last half a year before they would make a bold move to arrest him. And if they have taken that step, I am betting they have pretty much irrefutable evidence and I don't see him getting off this very lightly , hence the arrest, one caveat is if he really was ignorant to what he had to declare (But, that does not get him off, b/c anyone can do the same). Being that he has got money, he will most certainly avoid jail time , but that will cost a lot in extra fines.

All these claims that this was a planned move is bogus. If he did nothing wrong then there is no way to get him out of the company like this.

Last edited by Dave600hL; 11-29-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Being that he has got money, he will most certainly avoid jail time
Money will not necessarily keep people out of prison, even with white-collar criminals. Bernie Madoff, Paul Manafort, Martha Stewart, Leona Hensley, Michael Milliken, and a number of executives from both Enron and Mitsubishi proved that.
Old 11-29-18, 03:08 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money will not necessarily keep people out of prison, even with white-collar criminals. Bernie Madoff, Paul Manafort, Martha Stewart, Leona Hensley, Michael Milliken, and a number of executives from both Enron and Mitsubishi proved that.
This is not America, for a white collar crime where no one was hurt but the tax department then an extra fine will in most cases will chosen over prison time (Insider trading is a different story due to other stock holders being hurt by a persons actions, but this purely tax evasion by the looks of it). However, if found guilty a suspended sentence is certainty and it will be longer than if he were to go prison.

And after a bit of reading, the tax department has been looking at him since last year.

Last edited by Dave600hL; 11-29-18 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 10:45 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Naughty naughty Mr. Ghosen. Words of advice, don’t drop the soap.
You didn't hear?

They've switched to liquid soap in prisons now...

...takes a lot longer to pick it up.
Old 11-30-18, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
You didn't hear?

They've switched to liquid soap in prisons now...

...takes a lot longer to pick it up.
LOL! yikes!
Old 12-03-18, 08:56 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Something doesn't add up in this arrest.
Old 12-04-18, 01:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's basically being accused of deferring $82M of his salary over several years as a tax avoidance scheme, likely via advice from his tax people. To replace that forgone salary, he allegedly used company money to pay for his personal living expenses. It seems that he and his tax people didn't want to pay the upfront taxes on his salary and later when he did want that money, the idea was to "filter" it back to him in some other hidden way.

Quick Reply: Carlos Ghosn arrested...