Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What would be considered the most reliable used Lexus made?

Old 01-09-19, 02:07 AM
Lead Lap

Received 740 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The 2015 model year ES was still built in Japan. Toyota started to build (facelifted) ES models in Kentucky for the 2016 model year. It is only the second Lexus model built outside Japan.

The RX was the first Lexus model to be built outside of Japan. It started production in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada in September 2003.
The RX450h is still built in Japan.
Old 01-09-19, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Most hybrids are built in Japan still.
Old 12-31-20, 06:39 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Most hybrids are built in Japan still.
I'm resurrecting this old thread as I was disappointed to discover today that the 2021 ES 300h is made in Kentucky. I went to the dealer looking for an end-of-year deal. They had an overstock of ES's to pick from, and thus, were offering steep discounts. However, I would have to hold my nose to close a deal on one, or at least say "hail Mary" multiple times before signing!

I would be interested in hearing from Kentucky ES owners about their experiences with the quality of their cars. I want to replace my wife's 2011 ES 350, which has had rock-solid reliability. The '97 Avalon she had before the ES was built in Kentucky, and it was nowhere near as reliable as her Japanese-built ES.
Old 12-31-20, 06:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I'm resurrecting this old thread as I was disappointed to discover today that the 2021 ES 300h is made in Kentucky. I went to the dealer looking for an end-of-year deal. They had an overstock of ES's to pick from, and thus, were offering steep discounts. However, I would have to hold my nose to close a deal on one, or at least say "hail Mary" multiple times before signing!

I would be interested in hearing from Kentucky ES owners about their experiences with the quality of their cars. I want to replace my wife's 2011 ES 350, which has had rock-solid reliability. The '97 Avalon she had before the ES was built in Kentucky, and it was nowhere near as reliable as her Japanese-built ES.
You might want to post this over on the 7th Gen ES Forum. Probably get a lot of input from ES owners over there.
Old 12-31-20, 07:06 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You might want to post this over on the 7th Gen ES Forum. Probably get a lot of input from ES owners over there.
Good idea Bob...thanks!
Old 12-31-20, 08:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What country a vehicle is made has almost no bearing on reliability. It is the design of the vehicle, tolerances/quality in the design, using solid mechanicals that make pretty much all the difference. When was the last time you heard of a car having a failure or issue simply because something wasn't screwed in enough or aligned enough, it is very easy to fix something that was not screwed in enough or snapped in fully. The LS460 is made in the Tahara Plant Japan and is basically the most unreliable Lexus with several trouble spots, it has many more issues then Camry's, Accords, Acura's built in the US.
Old 12-31-20, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What country a vehicle is made has almost no bearing on reliability. It is the design of the vehicle, tolerances/quality in the design, using solid mechanicals that make pretty much all the difference. When was the last time you heard of a car having a failure or issue simply because something wasn't screwed in enough or aligned enough, it is very easy to fix something that was not screwed in enough or snapped in fully. The LS460 is made in the Tahara Plant Japan and is basically the most unreliable Lexus with several trouble spots, it has many more issues then Camry's, Accords, Acura's built in the US.
With all due respect, I have to disagree with your reasoning. When you get into a brand-new BMW M3, sitting on the lot, (as I have done), and you can't adjust the front seat to your liking because the wiring to the seat-motors is not installed/connected properly, or (in the same vehicle) the entire arm-rest assembly in the rear seat falls down on the floor when you pull it out, because some employee or machine didn't install the retaining-hardware, that is not the design of the vehicle. That is people in the factory daydreaming too much instead of keeping their mind on their work, and the quality-inspectors simply taking too many coffee-breaks.
Old 01-01-21, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Comparing the LS460 to Camry’s and Accords made in the US and inferring that there is no reliability difference because of country makes no sense because the LS460 is dramatically more complex than those cars and has far more to go wrong. Apples and bowling *****.

In order to make that claim you’d have to look at similar cars made in Japan vs the US. I would agree there’s no reliability difference. Any difference would be in build quality.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-01-21 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Comparing the LS460 to Camry’s and Accords made in the US and inferring that there is no reliability difference because of country makes no sense because the LS460 is dramatically more complex than those cars and has far more to go wrong. Apples and bowling *****.

In order to make that claim you’d have to look at similar cars made in Japan vs the US. I would agree there’s no reliability difference. Any difference would be in build quality.
All of the Camrys and Accords of the 1990s were superb, no matter there they were built. The only glitches I can remember were the bumpiness of the Accord's automatic transmission of that era and the Camry's 3.0L V6 oil-passages, which made petroleum-based oil run very hot and deteriorate quickly if you did not religiously keep it changed. Those were design-issues, not factory-assembly.
Old 01-01-21, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I totally agree. I have Japan made stuff and NA made stuff...they are both just as reliable. How they are designed I think is a good argument. Japan stuff is a designed a little better

As far as I know, all Lexus tech or chassis parts Are designed in Japan
Old 01-01-21, 02:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Ls, lx, gx.
Old 01-01-21, 02:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The majority of today's cars are built in an automated fashion, not by people hand-assembling things. So the quality gap between countries is less now than what it was twenty years ago. But more importantly, you have to look at the hard facts. The current ESh is rated extremely high in reliability and quality by just about every professional. You need not worry about the Kentucky origins, they have their crap together. Lexus has a standard to live up to at all factories, and their ratings are the proof. Go get your ESh and enjoy it.
Old 01-01-21, 04:52 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The current ESh is rated extremely high in reliability and quality by just about every professional....Lexus has a standard to live up to at all factories, and their ratings are the proof.
I agree mostly, however, Lexus quality, including the ES, is slipping, based on my research. That said, they're still better than most!
Old 01-01-21, 04:56 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The majority of today's cars are built in an automated fashion, not by people hand-assembling things. So the quality gap between countries is less now than what it was twenty years ago.
Again, I mostly agree, but I also believe Toyota's great reliability is partly due to the quality of their parts. Their rubber formulations and metallurgy is top-notch! That's why I mostly buy OEM unless I've been burned by a particular OEM part.
Old 01-01-21, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Ls, lx, gx, lc.
Fixed that for you.

honestly though, i think ALL lexus models will be extremely reliable used unless they have a ton of miles or were really abused.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would be considered the most reliable used Lexus made?