Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 09:13 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Priced one out fully loaded gas model comes to 41K which is considerably cheaper than the equivalent X1 so there may be a market for this. However, with the weaker engine and no awd.
Old 11-26-18, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ux and x1 are VERY close in dimensions.
Old 11-28-18, 07:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont understand Lexus or Toyota in general with these powertrain choices. A hybrid Rav4 has more power than a $40 to $45k Lexus hybrid. Huuuh??
Old 11-29-18, 09:03 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I dont understand Lexus or Toyota in general with these powertrain choices. A hybrid Rav4 has more power than a $40 to $45k Lexus hybrid. Huuuh??
The UX and the RAV4 belong to different size classes. The UX is smaller, in the same size class as the subcompact crossover Toyota C-HR. The RAV4 is larger, in the same size class as the compact crossover Lexus NX.
Old 11-29-18, 10:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Rav4 hybrid also has a bigger ICE engine
Old 11-29-18, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Hoovey must have some Canadian blood in him.
if he was australian it would be 'no worries mate'.
Old 11-29-18, 03:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

From info it seems cramped and cheap and slow. No spare and manual hood prop? So cheap... doesn't seem luxurious.

but of the two versions, the hybrid seems the one to get.
Old 11-29-18, 05:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
From info it seems cramped and cheap and slow. No spare and manual hood prop? So cheap... doesn't seem luxurious.

Do you have anything positive to say about the UX? You seem to really bash it. I agree with you, there are some issues, namely the price and the lack of power for the price, but almost everyone on here has overlooked my comments on price and people seem to like it. This UX is going to be a hit.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-29-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you have anything positive to say about the UX?
It will be very reliable? Being small it's easy to park and maneuver. I agree with you, it should do well. But there's a lot of competition.
Old 11-29-18, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

From info it seems cramped and cheap and slow.
Almost everything in that class is uncomfortable, slow, and cramped. Welcome to the world of B-class CUVs.

No spare and manual hood prop? So cheap... doesn't seem luxurious.
So......where have you heard that line before? (Just kidding)

Old 11-29-18, 07:45 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The manual hood prop I don't mind. The lack of a spare tire (on my preferred Hybrid) bothers me somewhat, even though my left brain keeps trying to tell my right brain that I have very seldom needed a spare tire. (It seems that Canadian UX models do come with a standard spare tire but Canadian UX Hybrids do not.)

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Almost everything in that class is uncomfortable, slow, and cramped. Welcome to the world of B-class CUVs.
How are these cars uncomfortable? I mean no disrespect, but could it be because you are a larger American man trying to squeeze into a small Japanese car?

And how fast do you want to go? I am sure all modern cars are fast enough to travel on our crowded high-speed freeways with no problem. But if I were to consider the UX, it would be the Hybrid model, which seems to be the quicker, faster model.

I am going to keep an open mind until I get the chance to sit in and drive one.
Old 11-29-18, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
How are these cars uncomfortable? I mean no disrespect, but could it be because you are a larger American man trying to squeeze into a small Japanese car?
No problem. I don't mind admitting that I'm not built like Twiggy LOL. But, if you want to sell in the American market, you have to design vehicles that are at least reasonably accommodating to people of 6 feet or more, and large torsos/rumps. That also means reasonably accommodating rooflines, and not Humpback-Whale profiles. With the comparably short wheelbases and light weights, you also have to have suspensions and tires that compensate for rougher American roads...these vehicles, in general, don't, though I haven't personally sampled the Lexus UX yet.

And how fast do you want to go? I am sure all modern cars are fast enough to travel on our crowded high-speed freeways with no problem. But if I were to consider the UX, it would be the Hybrid model, which seems to be the quicker, faster model.
Agreed....I myself usually don't need a lot of power. But many Americans tend to be speed-freaks, and, often, their first comments (and questions) will be on 0-60 or quarter-mile times. You see it quite a bit, even here in Car Chat.

I am going to keep an open mind until I get the chance to sit in and drive one.
Agreed. But, in general, I wouldn't expect anything that's hugely different from the general class of these vehicles.
Old 11-30-18, 03:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

uh, compared to other cars in its class, it seems more luxurious... and more standard equipment... things like standard LED headlights vs halogens, standard advanced safety system, smart entry, etc. I would rather have standard LEDs and safety than better hood prop.
Old 11-30-18, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
uh, compared to other cars in its class, it seems more luxurious... and more standard equipment... things like standard LED headlights vs halogens, standard advanced safety system, smart entry, etc. I would rather have standard LEDs and safety than better hood prop.
good points. i think the bottom line is i just don't like any cheap cuv (including x1, gla, etc.) claiming to be luxurious. i'd rather get a loaded rav4, crv, etc.
Old 01-09-19, 04:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I've spent more time with the UX. One thing from my initial review was the lack of rear door sensors. While that is still true, I learned that if you hold your hand on the driver handle for about 3 more seconds it will unlock all four doors. This is the first I've seen on a Lexus. And to correct my first post, I believe power-folding mirrors will be available after awhile. Also I popped the hood after idling for awhile and put up the hood prop. Man I don't ever remember the CT one getting that hot. Wish they would use gas struts.

I've put in an inquiry for a Nori Green / Glazed Caramel w/Caramel washi dash Luxury package UX 250h. It's going to be a few months before they build fully loaded ones, then some time after that. The price with everything I want should sticker for around $44-45K. In the meantime if an Obsidian or Caviar one in the same spec pops up sooner I might allocate it to me if it's not spoken for already since this will be a lease (keeping the IS), and maybe get Nori Green next time. Listed the options my UX has to have, as well as what's standard in the Luxury package.

OPTIONS:
PREMIUM TRIPLE-BEAM AUTO-LEVELING LED HEADLAMPS WITH FOGLAMPS AND HEADLAMP WASHERS
INTUITIVE PARKING ASSIST WITH AUTO BRAKING AND REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC BRAKING
COLOR HEAD-UP DISPLAY
ILLUMINATED DOOR SILLS
HEATED LEATHER-TRIMMED STEERING WHEEL
OEM NAVIGATION
ROOF RACK CROSS BARS *could add later*
MUD GUARDS *could add later*

STANDARD LUXURY PKG EQUIPMENT:
HEATED AND VENTILATED FRONT SEATS
POWER TILT-AND-SLIDE MOONROOF
RAIN-SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPERS
WASHI INTERIOR TRIM
LEXUS MEMORY SYSTEM FOR DRIVER’S SEAT, OUTSIDE MIRRORS AND STEERING WHEEL
WIRELESSLY POWERED LED-ILLUMINATED AIR-VENT *****
FRONT AND REAR ALUMINUM DOOR-SILL SCUFF PLATES
ELECTROCHROMIC (AUTO-DIMMING) POWER-FOLDING OUTSIDE MIRRORS WITH AUTO TILT-DOWN IN REVERSE
ACOUSTIC FRONT SIDE GLASS
POWER REAR DOOR WITH KICK SENSOR
BLIND SPOT MONITOR

NORI GREEN

Quick Reply: Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h