Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h

So I drove the UX 200 and UX 250h the other day. Also drove the GLA, XC40, and X1. I won't go into a formal write-up, but I'll share some impressions.

The UX looks better in person. While it is down on power, it's efficiency is up. This is in part to the new NA 2.0 I4. The competitors all utilize a 2.0 turbo. Some of the UX's were pre-production and had that smooth shiny plastic, but some had the material that would be in production models. It's not bad, especially for the price, and it's an upgrade to the materials found in the CT 200h. The rear speakers by the passengers feet had some cool bumpy waves which gave it a textured look and feel. Base MSRP for a UX 200 FWD is $32,000 - Fully loaded MSRP for a UX 200 Luxury FWD is $42,450. The UX 200 drove ok. The new 2.0 while a bit strained is far and above better than the CT. Cabin noise is isolated, though it's no GS/LS. The turning radius is very tight at 34.2' (17.1') vs X1 and XC40 both at 37.4' (18.7') and the GLA at 38.8' (19.4'). When sitting in the UX, one major thing I noticed was that you sit IN the seats not ON the seats like the GLA, XC40, and X1. Both 200 and 250h use this new eCVT that takes a trick from Lexus's multi-stage LCh and LSh and puts a real first gear into the transmission. The eCVT will simulate up to 10 gears. The car I was really smitten with was the UX 250h. I was able to coast in full EV at 49mph. Some current and previous Lexus hybrids can barely do mid-thirties. Power delivery in the 250h was smooth, though it's no rocket ship (but better than the 200). Another cool feature that will be implemented in future Lexus is the available ventilated seats. Only these ventilators don't blow, they suck! Lemme explain, rather than blowing cool air and having most blocked by your body, these new ones are like a vacuum and suck away the hot air. They work really well, though on the high setting like current Lexus models they are a bit loud. Visibility is decent and the side mirrors have been positioned to allow for a better view out the A-pillar which now has a small glass window rather than blacked out. Also some had auto-folding side mirrors. Some cons I found but understand because of the price were no hydraulic hood props, just manual, no spare tire, and only the front doors have the touch lock/unlock sensors. Lexus had this Nori Green UX with a saddle interior that I was gaga over. Photos don't do it justice. Steering wheel was LS/LC quality. Overall I really liked the UX and will consider the hybrid version in the near future for my commute.

PROS:
Standard Lexus Safety System+ 2.0 (PCS, All-Speed DRCC, Lane-Trace Assist etc..)
Standard Apple CarPlay
Standard Amazon Alex
Four fast charging USB ports
Ample storage. The other cars didn't have much to offer in terms of number of compartments, size of holders etc..
Available HUD
Very tight turning radius
EV speed
Seats sit in not on
Ventilated seats suck air
Power truck with kick sensor

CONS:
Hood prop
No spare
Only front doors have unlock sensors
Old 11-16-18, 11:22 AM
Hoovey689

Old 11-16-18, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

thanks hoovey... how would you describe/compare the size of it, cargo room, rear seat room, front leg room, etc.?

was the infotainment different than other lexus?
Old 11-16-18, 12:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow. That green model is just lovely.

What I have found fascinating is that the press really likes this car. Yet the end is from the Corlolla hatch. Seems like a lot of money for this new car. Bizarre.
Old 11-16-18, 12:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks hoovey... how would you describe/compare the size of it, cargo room, rear seat room, front leg room, etc.?

was the infotainment different than other lexus?
No problem. The front seats / front cabin are relatively roomy. Not going to lie, the back seat is tight. If the front seats are moved forward a little bit it can be decent for around town trips. Anyone over 6-feet though probably doesn't want to be back there. This would be a good starter vehicle for millennials / young couples with small children. UX stands for Ubran Crossover, and is very agile for city driving. A small hump in the rear floor makes fitting three people somewhat uncomfortable, but two people should be ok. I'm 5'9" so I fit in most cars.

The infotainment is the latest Gen10 found on the 2019 ES, LS, LC, RC, NX.

Not my pictures, but this will give you an idea of how tight it is in the back. Second picture you can still see the track for the front seat, taller driver would need to move this seat back.

Rear cargo

Picture of the latest optional triple beam LED headlights

Old 11-16-18, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the condensed write-up. Even if not a full-review, it gives us some nice information. I don't know if it is just my computer, but some of the images you posted are vertical instead of horizontal.

Some cons I found but understand because of the price were no hydraulic hood props, just manual, no spare tire,
I agree that these are cons, but IMO the price is not an excuse for it. This is a 32-42K vehicle, which, though not particularly high-priced by today's standards, is not chump-change.

Cabin noise is isolated, though it's no GS/LS.
How's the ride comfort over bumps? Unless I just missed it (which is possible) I didn't see it mentioned in your report. The tire-profiles on the UX look like they have at least some rubber in them, so they shouldn't pound you too bad over bumps, though I did find the larger NX's overall ride comfort disappointing, especially compared to the RX.

Old 11-16-18, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the condensed write-up. Even if not a full-review, it gives us some nice information. I don't know if it is just my computer, but some of the images you posted are vertical instead of horizontal.
I emailed them to myself, edited (rotated), and saved them to my pc but some of them still ended up sideways. Oh well.

I agree that these are cons, but IMO the price is not an excuse for it. This is a 32-42K vehicle, which, though not particularly high-priced by today's standards, is not chump-change.
It should be standard stuff when it's an L badge, but it is what it is.

How's the ride comfort over bumps? Unless I just missed it (which is possible) I didn't see it mentioned in your report. The tire-profiles on the UX look like they have at least some rubber in them, so they shouldn't pound you too bad over bumps, though I did find the larger NX's overall ride comfort disappointing, especially compared to the RX.
Pretty decent. I liked it much more than the (disappointing) NX. The suspension is static and there is no AVS option. But it would be a comfortable cruiser overall.
Old 11-16-18, 03:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, Hoovey. I am interested in the UX Hybrid (and also awaiting the 2nd-generation NX Hybrid).

It remains to be confirmed but it looks like the Canadian UX will come with a spare tire but the UX Hybrid will not. (Specifications have just been posted and I have seen a number of issues that I believe are mistakes, so I am waiting to see if there are any changes to on-line list of specifications.)

Hoovey: Is there space available in the UX Hybrid to store a spare tire? I am also wondering if a spare tire would be an available option on the UX (Hybrid).
Old 11-16-18, 03:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Sulu
Thanks, Hoovey. I am interested in the UX Hybrid (and also awaiting the 2nd-generation NX Hybrid).

It remains to be confirmed but it looks like the Canadian UX will come with a spare tire but the UX Hybrid will not. (Specifications have just been posted and I have seen a number of issues that I believe are mistakes, so I am waiting to see if there are any changes to on-line list of specifications.)

Hoovey: Is there space available in the UX Hybrid to store a spare tire? I am also wondering if a spare tire would be an available option on the UX (Hybrid).
No problem. UX's are already at port going through final inspections. I will check them out as soon as dealers get them.

I should have taken a picture. I looked underneath the cargo bed just for a second. There was a hardened Styrofoam compartment that is removable so it's probable to fasten a spare/ temporary beneath that if you don't mind it looking not that good. Unfortunately I believe the UX has run-flats.

Not my picture

Old 11-16-18, 03:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

as much as I understood problem with spare tire in hybrid is that then floor is raised too much and Lexus was in fact promising in Europe to lower the floor on non spare tire hbyrid models before production, since press models had raised floor designed to possibly fit the tire and then the space in trunk was too little... i guess they managed to "fix" it at last chance.

edit: problem was that e-four versions needed more space, but they left the top cover the same height as with models with spare tire... so now they should have specific height of the load floor for e-four models without space tire... to make it deeper.

I guess as usual designers thought it would be used as single person vehicle, then reality hit and they realized that many small families in Europe will be using one. @Hoovey2411 can you shed a light in how deep the load floor is on hybrid models in production? is it a lot shallower than in UX200?

Last edited by spwolf; 11-16-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 04:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Didn't you buy a Buick with a hood prop? I don't think most people really worry about this stuff.
Old 11-16-18, 04:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No problem. ...
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No problem. ...
Not sure we said anything was a problem.
Old 11-16-18, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Didn't you buy a Buick with a hood prop?
I bought an Opel with a hood prop......though, admittedly, it had a Buick drivetrain, a Buick video-screen, and Buick sound insulation.

I don't think most people really worry about this stuff.
Well, I actually open my hood and check under it every once in a while. And, for decades, I did my own oil changes and other minor maintenance.
Old 11-16-18, 05:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
I guess as usual designers thought it would be used as single person vehicle, then reality hit and they realized that many small families in Europe will be using one. @Hoovey2411 can you shed a light in how deep the load floor is on hybrid models in production? is it a lot shallower than in UX200?
The one I looked under the floor was a UX 200. In about 3-4 weeks I will be able to compare the two side by side and take pictures for you. In the meantime my apologies.

I guess 'no problem' as in it didn't cause me a hassle to write this? Lol I dunno, It's just a term I've used for years and I think others also have on this forum.
Old 11-16-18, 05:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Hoovey must have some Canadian blood in him.

Quick Reply: Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h