Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I guess 'no problem' as in it didn't cause me a hassle to write this? Lol I dunno, It's just a term I've used for years and I think others also have on this forum.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...age-no-problem
Old 11-16-18, 09:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hoovey, how do you think this drove in comparison to the X1? I know the X1 is still a crowd favorite in terms of space efficiency and utility. We all know BMW has great lease deals and the 0 maintenance during those years is a big plus. I know its getting a bit dated but it can still hold a candle to the new players. I am looking to getting rid of my RXh for an X1 next week, just need to sell my RX on craiglist .
Old 11-16-18, 11:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Good review. The hybrid has my attention. Do we know what projected mpg's are?
Old 11-17-18, 05:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice quick review Hoovey! I'm the same height as you and found the rear a bit tight on legroom, but do-able for say even a longer 2-3 hours trip.

I took an approx measurement of the cargo's floor to ceiling height of about 20-21 inches for the 250h which is on the shallow side. Add about 3 inches depth for the 200. NX, if memory serves me was 26, and RX is 29.

1. As per RXSF and MM - How's the NVH and ride quality? The buzz/drone was a bit disappointing in
recent review but as a previous CT-owner, I don't mind since I rarely hit the power to beat my prior MPG achievements!

2. The DirectShift CVT (physical 1st gear) is only with the 2L non-hybrid per the Japan specs and European reviews where they state the 2L Hybrid has the more conventional "eCVT". Did you notice any difference when driving both cars? Did you engage the paddle shifters?

@Sulu - agree, many typos and spec errors in the Canadian spec sheet like the DirectShift CVT (only for the 200), turning circle, HUD and Nav missing in the F Sport S2, interior specs, etc. I pointed those out to my dealer a couple weeks ago who in turn submitted it to Corp. Let's see.

For the UX, the 250h is the way to go. If you can accept a drop of 4 cu ft in cargo, it's only a 2K premium for a torquier powertrain, lowered NVH, and eAWD.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-17-18 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-17-18, 06:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

It remains to be confirmed but it looks like the Canadian UX will come with a spare tire but the UX Hybrid will not. (Specifications have just been posted and I have seen a number of issues that I believe are mistakes, so I am waiting to see if there are any changes to on-line list of specifications.)
As per Lexus.ca, the Canadian FWD UX will come with a spare. The Hybrid UX will use run flats. Hope this helps
Old 11-17-18, 06:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

2. The DirectShift CVT (physical 1st gear) is only with the 2L non-hybrid per the Japan specs and European reviews where they state the 2L Hybrid has the more conventional "eCVT". Did you notice any difference when driving both cars? Did you engage the paddle shifters?
Europe and other markets also gets optional:
adaptive variable suspension.
sunroof is not standard (but standard in Canada)
rear tint is an option
power seats are optional
US has a no moon roof option.

Canada has 17" as standard while the US only comes with 18" tires, so run flats in the US are a standard item.

So there could be other changes that don't match.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-17-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-17-18, 08:18 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As per Lexus.ca, the Canadian FWD UX will come with a spare. The Hybrid UX will use run flats. Hope this helps
Thanks. That is where I went to find the specifications and since I noticed so many small errors, I do not know what is true and what is not. I will have to wait until the model is in the showroom and Lexus Canada has had time to firm-up and correct the listed specifications.
Old 11-17-18, 08:26 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice quick review Hoovey! I'm the same height as you and found the rear a bit tight on legroom, but do-able for say even a longer 2-3 hours trip.

I took an approx measurement of the cargo's floor to ceiling height of about 20-21 inches for the 250h which is on the shallow side. Add about 3 inches depth for the 200. NX, if memory serves me was 26, and RX is 29.

1. As per RXSF and MM - How's the NVH and ride quality? The buzz/drone was a bit disappointing in Redline's youtube recent review but as a previous CT-owner, I don't mind since I rarely hit the power to beat my prior MPG achievements!

@Sulu - agree, many typos and spec errors in the Canadian spec sheet like the DirectShift CVT (only for the 200), turning circle, HUD and Nav missing in the F Sport S2, interior specs, etc. I pointed those out to my dealer a couple weeks ago who in turn submitted it to Corp. Let's see.

For the UX, the 250h is the way to go. If you can accept a drop of 4 cu ft in cargo, it's only a 2K premium for a torquier powertrain, lowered NVH, and eAWD.
Thanks for the information. I am only interested in the Hybrid model (no more normal cars for me if I can help it). I am not concerned about it lacking power.

It seems to me that the reviewer was too obsessed about the UX being under-powered; from first hearing that the engine would not be turbocharged (while its competitors would be), he seemed to want to do everything possible to confirm that the car indeed is under-powered.
Old 11-17-18, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

LOL!

"No problem" is a slangy term that is often used by millennials—and by many Gen Xers—in exchanges in which "you're welcome" is traditionally voiced
I take it you're not a Gen Xer?

Originally Posted by RXSF
Hoovey, how do you think this drove in comparison to the X1? I know the X1 is still a crowd favorite in terms of space efficiency and utility. We all know BMW has great lease deals and the 0 maintenance during those years is a big plus. I know its getting a bit dated but it can still hold a candle to the new players. I am looking to getting rid of my RXh for an X1 next week, just need to sell my RX on craiglist .
The UX especially in 250h form drives nice. Not a rocket ship but it's smooth. The BMW X1 had the sweetest turbo-4 of the bunch (compared to the XC40 and GLA). Very smooth, and of course feels underrated which we know to be true. I'm not a fan of the BMW seat material. I think it was that 'Dakota' leather, which was rough and grainy. Also it's important to point out you sit on the seat rather than in the seat. I was sliding around on the X1. I'm a fan of the exterior of the X1. Too bad they moved to a FWD platform from the original RWD platform, but then again this isn't a sports car and AWD is available. The BMW only had 1 USB compared to the UX's 4. There is no standard safety system compared to the UX. And I was surprised to find I couldn't get BSM (blind spot monitor) though someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that. Some of the cup-holders are also somewhat useless on the BMW or there aren't enough of them. The dash, door panel, and seat material doesn't match the UX's. For what it's worth the X1 sold 30,826 units in the USA for 2017 so that's something. For me personally if I couldn't get the UX, and I was looking for a vehicle of this caliber, the X1 would be the next choice for me probably.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Good review. The hybrid has my attention. Do we know what projected mpg's are?
Yes the UX 200 is rated at 29 city, 37 highway, 33 combined, and the UX 250h is rated at 41 city, 38 highway, 39 combined

1. As per RXSF and MM - How's the NVH and ride quality? The buzz/drone was a bit disappointing in Redline's youtube recent review but as a previous CT-owner, I don't mind since I rarely hit the power to beat my prior MPG achievements!

1. I actually think NVH is better on the UX than the NX. Mostly an isolated cabin noise, there was a bit of road noise from the run-flat tires. Most everything felt good to the touch, which gives me hope the next NX will improve in these areas. The new ES is also vastly improved. Even Lexus addressed those crappy 2013 key fobs. The new ones on the 2019 models are slick and elegant.

2. It feels smoother from a stop with the new transmission. The paddle shifters are quick but only available on F-Sport models.

Originally Posted by Sulu
Thanks for the information. I am only interested in the Hybrid model (no more normal cars for me if I can help it). I am not concerned about it lacking power.

It seems to me that the reviewer was too obsessed about the UX being under-powered; from first hearing that the engine would not be turbocharged (while its competitors would be), he seemed to want to do everything possible to confirm that the car indeed is under-powered.
The 250h doesn't feel under-powered IMO. It's not a racehorse but it gets on it's own. The electric motor helps with this, and also eFour improves drive-ability, no torque steer unlike the FWD 200. Sure it would be nice to have a UX 300 with a 2.0T as a top trim, but for now the 250h is the way to go IMO
Old 11-17-18, 01:09 PM
RXSF

Correct, the X1 does not have BSM which is a huge drawback. But it does have a lot of other premium features like rain sensing wipers, auto fold mirrors, ambient lighting. I need a small practical SUV as Im trying to downsize from the RX. Looking at the UX trunk space pretty much rules it out.
Old 11-17-18, 01:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Correct, the X1 does not have BSM which is a huge drawback. But it does have a lot of other premium features like rain sensing wipers, auto fold mirrors, ambient lighting. I need a small practical SUV as Im trying to downsize from the RX. Looking at the UX trunk space pretty much rules it out.
Yeah the UX won't do you any good in that regard. Q3 might be another option, or maybe even the Jaguar E-Pace? The XC40 has a nice touchscreen and digital gauges, but everything else like the headliner were so craptastic. GLA was tight tight tight, and has a big turning radius. QX30? Are you trying to stay with luxury nameplates? What about the new CX-5 with turbo? New RDX looks pretty good at least from the exterior to me.
Old 11-17-18, 02:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The HUD in the X1 is a good one. Same with the updated iDrive system.
Old 11-17-18, 02:25 PM
RXSF

Yeah, kind of looking to stay with the luxury name plates. The Volvo/Q3/Epace do not look as good to me as the X1 exterior. A two or three year bmw is also very enticing with the zero maintenance costs.
Old 11-17-18, 02:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The one I looked under the floor was a UX 200. In about 3-4 weeks I will be able to compare the two side by side and take pictures for you. In the meantime my apologies.

I guess 'no problem' as in it didn't cause me a hassle to write this? Lol I dunno, It's just a term I've used for years and I think others also have on this forum.
thank you, much appreciated
Old 11-17-18, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What technology is giving it higher city mpg's than highway? I think this is a first or very rare for any hybrid.

Quick Reply: Hoovey (mini) Review: 2019 Lexus UX 200/250h