Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan

Old 02-12-19, 06:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly. The Corolla may be a little small for my tastes, but I'd buy one before a number of other vehicles on the market.
Saw a while back that Alex on Autos gave the Corolla an A+ for ride.
Old 02-12-19, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It's not a Lacrosse, but for its class, I'd agree. The Elantra (which you said you and your husband are looking at) has what are, IMO, better and more solid materials inside and out, but can't match the Corolla's refinement and road manners.
Old 02-12-19, 06:42 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

omg. Nice. Don't make fun of my car. It's quite satisfying.

you're a girl are you not? so not surprising that you like the Corolla, no offense to anyone, but the Corolla's primary demographic has always been female. Males tend to go for the civic.

watch any Corolla commercial, they target female drivers, Go look up the Toyota Market Strategies for the Corolla, world-wide they target female drivers ages 20-50. Especially Students and Young Professionals who want a practical and reliable vehicle to get from point a to point b and don't care about a car for anything else.

Toyota knows their target demographic very well.

I'm not making fun of the car, I would buy it for my daughter. I would never drive it, it is a utilitarian vehicle that doesn't appeal to me.
Old 02-12-19, 06:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
you're a girl are you not? so not surprising that you like the Corolla, no offense to anyone, but the Corolla's primary demographic has always been female. Males tend to go for the civic.

watch any Corolla commercial, they target female drivers, Go look up the Toyota Market Strategies for the Corolla, world-wide they target female drivers ages 20-50. Especially Students and Young Professionals who want a practical and reliable vehicle to get from point a to point b and don't care about a car for anything else.

I'm not making fun of the car, I would buy it for my daughter. I would never drive it, it is a utilitarian vehicle that doesn't appeal to me.
Its all good. I knew you were not. Its just a car for me. One of these days I am going to trade both my cars into just one, I will probably get something more flashy at that point.
Old 02-12-19, 09:54 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Good friend of mine, 25 year old female, loves her Corollas. Had a 2001, a 2016, & just this past Sunday returned her 2016 and picked up a new 2019 Hatchback and loves it, says it's way better than her old one. Sat in it at the dealership with her on the Friday before when she went to go look and was really impressed with the interior. Simple design, but very nice materials and solid feeling throughout. Night & day compared to her previous Corolla & has all the safety tech & CarPlay of course, which is wonderful.
Old 02-13-19, 12:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

New 2018-24 rides beautifully just like superseded 2012-18 Corolla.
However, new Corolla 2.0 at wide throttle revs so smoothly and quietly, unlike old Corolla 1.8 which revved coarse and loud.

Though I am not 100% sure if the old Corolla 1.8 was genuinely coarse and loud, or every example I test driven had been "flogged" by test drivers?

Are you sure Corollas target female drivers?
This article doesn't seem to think so.

https://www.crimsonhexagon.com/blog/...corolla-owner/
Old 02-13-19, 01:20 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
New 2018-24 rides beautifully just like superseded 2012-18 Corolla.
However, new Corolla 2.0 at wide throttle revs so smoothly and quietly, unlike old Corolla 1.8 which revved coarse and loud.

Though I am not 100% sure if the old Corolla 1.8 was genuinely coarse and loud, or every example I test driven had been "flogged" by test drivers?

Are you sure Corollas target female drivers?
This article doesn't seem to think so.

https://www.crimsonhexagon.com/blog/...corolla-owner/

as of 2017 Toyota's own marketing strategy for the Corolla says so, however reading some more current articles this morning indicates they are targeting tech savvy millennials with the new generation, considering the majority of the Scion IM and Matrix market was millennials, and the new hatchback is essentially taking the place of those 2 models makes sense.

Also it seems over the past 2 generations the Corolla is the Guinea pig for new tech in the Toyota line, it received a lot of the newer safety sense features even before the Camry and Avalon. Affordable compact utilitarian vehicles for the younger generation that really doesn't like cars, especially ICE vehicles.

Old 02-13-19, 01:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Everytime Toyota thinks its demographic are millenials, they have had to eat their own. Plenty of folks exist who are not millenials and want the same safety setups, want the new infotainment offerings to plug in their phone, able to wirelessly charge their devices etc. Its not essential to design things specific for a single demo. I kno the marketing team will flame me, but it is true. Bringing Tesla like features to the lower cost vehicles can only grab the majority of the market that keeps the lights on.
Old 02-13-19, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of these days I am going to trade both my cars into just one,
For a Jack-of-all-Trades vehicle, it's probably hard to beat an Outback or Forester. You can do just about anything with one, in any kind of weather, except heavy towing/work or extreme, Prius-type gas mileage. Even then, the 4-cylinder CVT is reasonably economical. The XV Crosstrek, of course, offers this in a smaller package, but it lacks the Outback's interior space. The Outback and Forester offer superb rear-vision with their large, square windows and high roofline. Only downside is that the flat-four/boxer engines have some quirks, and generally don't last as long as Toyota or Honda engines without problems.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-19 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

as of 2017 Toyota's own marketing strategy for the Corolla says so, however reading some more current articles this morning indicates they are targeting tech savvy millennials with the new generation, considering the majority of the Scion IM and Matrix market was millennials, and the new hatchback is essentially taking the place of those 2 models makes sense.

Also it seems over the past 2 generations the Corolla is the Guinea pig for new tech in the Toyota line, it received a lot of the newer safety sense features even before the Camry and Avalon. Affordable compact utilitarian vehicles for the younger generation that really doesn't like cars, especially ICE vehicles.
Great article. Thanks for posting
Old 02-20-19, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Kinda of cool to see Toyota impart J-VINs for the new Hybrid Corolla. No sun roofs. 15” rims 👍👍
Old 04-12-19, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So, we have been kicking the tires on a new car to replace our Matrix. Obviously we want to look at Toyota. Oh my I am really beginning to hate the TNGA platform. Seems to me it’s all marketing and less real value.

We looked at the Hatch and Sedan version of the Corolla. Toyota has reduced the headroom quite a bit. The drivers seat does not feel as it goes as close to the floor. The non sunroof Corolla hatch is ok (not great) for headroom, but get a sunroof and if you are tall like my husband is (6”1”) you will be disappointed. The size interior is ok for me because I am pretty small, but this new car would be replacing my husbands car and would be his daily driver. My husband also complained that he cannot freely move from gas to brake pedal without his knee and leg hitting the steering column.

The overall quality seems to be pretty decent. But the price hike is not appropriate in my opinion. Pretty pissed off that Toyota is carryover the 1.8 when the 2.0 could just be standard across the board. While I do like the design of the outside and inside, there are also things I do not like.

It seems the Japan built hatch has nicer interior details. A pillar is covered in a softer material that is closer to what a Lexus would use. The sedan version is hard plastic. There is nicer piano plastic on the SE hatch but missing on the SE sedan. Both cars have lovely leather on the steering wheel, very similar to Lexus. Also, the sedan now uses felt like sound muting material in the rear wheel wells.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-12-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So, we have been kicking the tires on a new car to replace our Matrix.
Better be careful with that foot LOL. With today's low-profile rubber, it's easy to miss the tire and end up kicking the hard metal wheel.

Obviously we want to look at Toyota. Oh my I am really beginning to hate the TNGA platform. Seems to me it’s all marketing and less real value.
What do you hate about it?.....except maybe for the fact that it is just another one of an endless number of cost-cutting measures that allow automakers to design new vehicles with less work and cost.

My husband also complained that he cannot freely move from gas to brake pedal without his knee and leg hitting the steering column.
Yes.......ease of Gas-to-Brake motion with one's foot is obviously very important. That's why, you'll notice, in every full-review I do, I mention if my big size-15 clod-hoppers can go from gas to brake reasonably quickly, without the edge of the shoe catching on the edge or underside of the brake pedal. In general, the closer the two pedals are, and the more they are on the same (geometrical) plane, without one being higher then the other, the easier the foot-action will be. That, of course, also applies to heel-and-toe action for manual shifting (to save wear and tear on the synchronizers)...but I'm assuming that you and your husband are looking at automatic-transmission Corollas.
Old 04-12-19, 07:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Since the 1970's, over the past 40 years, sedans have become taller, bigger and heavier with successive generations.
I disagree with the latest batch of TMC sedan products being lowered.
The Camries and Corollas etc are all smaller both in the passenger compartment, and in the trunk.
I think this moved will diminish sedan sales, and force consumers to purchase SUV's.
Old 04-13-19, 04:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

What do you hate about it?.....

I mentioned some of the things I didn't like. I am not sure I like the direction Toyota is going.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan