Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Never said it was on the hybrid. This eCVT (PSD) is mated to the new Corolla 1.8/2.0 when not equipped with the traditional 6-speed manual.
Old 11-16-18, 02:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Interesting offering. The front styling is very sharp and edgy. Rear is luxurious and agreeable. It falls apart with the greenhouse, which is sloppy, cluttered, saggy, and nerdy (front wing window). Dash is modern and clean. But lack of a central console between the upper and lower consoles is a poor use of prime space. Gauge cluster is dated, with such a big speedometer arc A digital readout would have left a ton of space for more media and trip info.
Overall, this should be a super selling car with fresh enough styling to last another six years. Toyota is cranking out some excellent sedans lately.
Curious to see what the basic L and LE look like, since that's what most people will be buying.
Old 11-16-18, 03:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Never said it was on the hybrid. This eCVT (PSD) is mated to the new Corolla 1.8/2.0 when not equipped with the traditional 6-speed manual.
Sorry, my mistake. I see eCVT and think "Hybrid". I see now that you are talking about the Direct Shift-CVT and its mechanical launch gear.
Old 11-16-18, 03:49 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Sorry, my mistake. I see eCVT and think "Hybrid". I see now that you are talking about the Direct Shift-CVT and its mechanical launch gear.
All good. What are we supposed to call this thing? DS-eCVT? LOL! Wish they would just say PSD since that's what it is. Make it simple, and people might stop frowning when they hear 'CVT' and think rubber-band feeling like on Nissan's.
Old 11-17-18, 08:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

I don’t really like it. Kinda underwhelming and perhaps a it boring. I tried the new Corolla hatch, while the interior materials were just superb, I really didn’t like the interior design all that much. The ride was very good, very sharp handling and this new model should be similar, but I don’t really care, I would rather have a softer ride more than anything else.

Some of the likes, the two tone colour again looks good. Looks like there is a damper on the rear trunk lid similar to that of the new Avalon and ES which slows down. Nice to see two new power train options.

Some of the dislikes: the front Toyota logo on the sport model just looks terrible. Just slapped on like an afterthought. Kinda meh on the inferior. The digital gauge display is really underwhelming. Styling is a let down although the rear is not bad.
Old 11-17-18, 12:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
All good. What are we supposed to call this thing? DS-eCVT? LOL! Wish they would just say PSD since that's what it is. Make it simple, and people might stop frowning when they hear 'CVT' and think rubber-band feeling like on Nissan's.
Maybe I don't fully understand what you are saying; and I don't wish to get into a long, drawn-out discussion on this topic, but the Direct Shift-CVT is definitely not a power-split device (PSD).

Just call it a CVT. Toyota's new Direct Shift-CVT still is a belt-and-pulleys CVT (with software-simulated pseudo-fixed gear ratios) but it has an important addition that makes it truly unique and different from any other belt-and-pulleys CVT: It has a direct, mechanical (toothed-gear) connection from the transmission input (the engine) to the transmission output that is only used at a launch from stop. This prevents the transmission from slipping (drive belt slipping on the toothless pulley) if the initial torque is too much for the circumstances.

Once the car has started rolling, the transmission switches out of that direct, mechanical, launch gear and into the infinite gear ratios provided by the belt-and-pulleys, just like any other CVT.

That Redline YouTube review of the UX showed off this transmission as a true CVT but with a difference: Once launched from a full stop, a definite gear shift could be heard as the transmission switched out of the direct, launch gear into the regular belt-and-pulleys CVT. In Sport mode, the transmission acted like a true CVT: floor the accelerator and the engine would rev up into its power band while it took time for the transmission and car's speed to catch up. In Normal (more relaxed) mode however, the simulated gear ratios came into play to let the engine rev up as speed increased.
Old 11-17-18, 04:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Maybe I don't fully understand what you are saying; and I don't wish to get into a long, drawn-out discussion on this topic, but the Direct Shift-CVT is definitely not a power-split device (PSD).

Just call it a CVT. Toyota's new Direct Shift-CVT still is a belt-and-pulleys CVT (with software-simulated pseudo-fixed gear ratios) but it has an important addition that makes it truly unique and different from any other belt-and-pulleys CVT: It has a direct, mechanical (toothed-gear) connection from the transmission input (the engine) to the transmission output that is only used at a launch from stop. This prevents the transmission from slipping (drive belt slipping on the toothless pulley) if the initial torque is too much for the circumstances.

Once the car has started rolling, the transmission switches out of that direct, mechanical, launch gear and into the infinite gear ratios provided by the belt-and-pulleys, just like any other CVT.

That Redline YouTube review of the UX showed off this transmission as a true CVT but with a difference: Once launched from a full stop, a definite gear shift could be heard as the transmission switched out of the direct, launch gear into the regular belt-and-pulleys CVT. In Sport mode, the transmission acted like a true CVT: floor the accelerator and the engine would rev up into its power band while it took time for the transmission and car's speed to catch up. In Normal (more relaxed) mode however, the simulated gear ratios came into play to let the engine rev up as speed increased.
i think first mechanical gear can go quite far, pretty sure i read somewhere it was 40kmh.

And of course, it has really little to do with eCVT/PSD which has electric motors integrated, but you know that.
Old 11-18-18, 12:40 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice clean interior for a Corolla.
Old 11-19-18, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The engine in the L, LE and XLE grades is the 1.8 litre 2ZR-FAE (with Valvematic), the optional engine in the current-generation Corolla sedan. The engine in the sportier SE and XSE grades is the same 2.0-litre M20A-FKS Dynamic Force engine used in the new Corolla Hatchback.

Source: Toyota Pressroom
So yea the same old 1.8L from the previous gen as the base engine.
Old 11-19-18, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
So yea the same old 1.8L from the previous gen as the base engine.
Not exactly the same engine. It’s the eco model or the model from the Corolla iM. Base Corolla did not have valvematic which was an option.
Old 11-19-18, 07:13 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Finally a Corolla that does not look cheap or disgustingly overstyled... Hope this is the beginning of some new design era for Toyota. They currently make some of the ugliest cars on the road (in my opinion). Your opinion may differ.
Old 11-19-18, 07:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Looks great! Huge improvement.
Old 11-20-18, 12:52 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Old 11-20-18, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Watched some videos of it. Its better than the old Corolla by far, especially inside, but it still looks bulbous and has "economy car" proportions, inside its very utilitarian and austere. Keeping the same anemic engine is a very strange choice. Compared to something like a new Civic, I'd still much rather have that.

Now...would I rather have a hybrid Corolla than a Prius? Yes. A Hybrid Corolla negates the purpose of the Prius even existing IMHO, although I suppose it will still appeal to "eco minded" well heeled folks who don't want to drive a "Corolla".

Its almost as if they believe most Corollas will be Hyrbids and thats why they didnt bother with a better gas engine?
Old 02-03-19, 08:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

I test drove all new Corolla Hatch recently.

It was good looking, but tight at the back, however the sedan to be released in March should be much roomier.

The new 2.0 is magnificently smooth and quiet; the best in class - the current model Civic 1.5T has both a rough and loud idle, and has that turbo torque curve, where the Corolla atmospheric is far more linear.
I wonder if the Corolla's 2.0 has twin balance shafts?

Corolla's handling is good, and ride is very good too.
Just a lot of wind noise maybe from thinner glass, or a lack of sound insulation under the carpet, and the Corolla also has a lot of tire noise, probably from both the tires and lack of insulation under the carpet.

I would buy Corolla sedan over Honda Civic with that rough idling 1.5T.

Quick Reply: 2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan