Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan

Old 02-03-19, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Now...would I rather have a hybrid Corolla than a Prius? Yes. A Hybrid Corolla negates the purpose of the Prius even existing IMHO, although I suppose it will still appeal to "eco minded" well heeled folks who don't want to drive a "Corolla".
Agreed. The main problem wth the Prius (and something that the Corolla generally tends to avoid) is its quirkiness. The Corolla is far more conventional inside and out.
Old 02-04-19, 04:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Watched some videos of it. Its better than the old Corolla by far, especially inside, but it still looks bulbous and has "economy car" proportions, inside its very utilitarian and austere. Keeping the same anemic engine is a very strange choice. Compared to something like a new Civic, I'd still much rather have that.

Now...would I rather have a hybrid Corolla than a Prius? Yes. A Hybrid Corolla negates the purpose of the Prius even existing IMHO, although I suppose it will still appeal to "eco minded" well heeled folks who don't want to drive a "Corolla".

Its almost as if they believe most Corollas will be Hyrbids and thats why they didnt bother with a better gas engine?
SE and XSE models have new 2.0l engine from UX and Corolla Hatch. I would guess they are keeping upgraded old one for lesser levels due to the price?
In any case, Corolla now has 3 engines offered for NA market.

As to the Prius, they used to be large differences between Corolla and Prius, Prius used to have larger wheelbase and more sophisticated suspension. Now due to the TNGA, they are quite similar but then again I suspect that the pricing of hybrid Corolla wont be far off Prius. And this is probably reason Prius got awd system too.
Old 02-04-19, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I suspect that the pricing of hybrid Corolla wont be far off Prius.
If it's less-quirky (which will probably be the case), it will, IMO, also be a better buy for the money.
Old 02-06-19, 05:11 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Thumbs up on the interior, Love it...

But what a horrific looking car, from nearly every angle. It makes me nauseous. And that will be a bit of a problem because there are likely to be MILLIONS of them on the road.
Old 02-10-19, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Rear heated seats will be on this new Corolla. Some models are going no spare, just a fix a flat. And some are getting active cornering assist whatever that is. 65, 55 and 40 series tires are available.
Old 02-10-19, 10:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Some models are going no spare, just a fix a flat.

65, 55 and 40 series tires are available.
65s? Now you're talking.

And some are getting active cornering assist whatever that is.
It's tied in with the VSC.....uses the brake on the inside front wheel, in a turn, to lessen understeer.
Old 02-11-19, 06:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I test drove all new Corolla Hatch recently.

It was good looking, but tight at the back, however the sedan to be released in March should be much roomier.

The new 2.0 is magnificently smooth and quiet; the best in class - the current model Civic 1.5T has both a rough and loud idle, and has that turbo torque curve, where the Corolla atmospheric is far more linear.
I wonder if the Corolla's 2.0 has twin balance shafts?

Corolla's handling is good, and ride is very good too.
Just a lot of wind noise maybe from thinner glass, or a lack of sound insulation under the carpet, and the Corolla also has a lot of tire noise, probably from both the tires and lack of insulation under the carpet.

I would buy Corolla sedan over Honda Civic with that rough idling 1.5T.
I wouldn't mind driving a stick to work. Just from what I've seen online it to me looks better than an Accord, even though they are not in the same category. Can't Toyota build a GTI fighter, why not?
Old 02-11-19, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I wouldn't mind driving a stick to work.
In Philly's traffic? Or do you live far enough away from the worst of it?
Old 02-11-19, 07:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In Philly's traffic? Or do you live far enough away from the worst of it?
haha I'm stuck in it every day...to go about 24 miles is minimum 75 min. I have coworkers who live in north Jersey and go 70 miles in the same amount of time within NJ. It's just a way of life to me. Yesterday, I pulled the BMW out of the garage to get the snowblower out, so I took it for a spin. No nav, no backup cam, no snow tires, but it's the stick that makes it, and of course the steering...

I honestly could see myself in a manual Corolla, or even a manual Matrix, that type of car....(I have a professional contact who has 2 Pontiac Vibes and 1 Toyota Matrix all manuals and all around 300k)
Old 02-11-19, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I honestly could see myself in a manual Corolla, or even a manual Matrix, that type of car....(I have a professional contact who has 2 Pontiac Vibes and 1 Toyota Matrix all manuals and all around 300k)
For your winter commutes, the Vibe/Matrix was also available in AWD format, but, I think, only with the automatic and the 123-hp base engine, which, with the added drag and weight of AWD, would probably make them underpowered for your tastes. That's less power than even in the base-level AWD Imprezas of the period.
Old 02-11-19, 01:36 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I had an 05 XR AWD for awhile, and along with ubsurdly underpowered, it averaged about 15mpg scooting around town, which is abysmal for such a small car.
Old 02-11-19, 08:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

52 MPG combined for the new hybrid. Wow.
Old 02-12-19, 12:32 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
52 MPG combined for the new hybrid. Wow.
Outstanding numbers announced today. It's Prius territory, so I'm quite curious how Toyota plans on keeping this from eating into Prius sales.
Old 02-12-19, 06:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Outstanding numbers announced today. It's Prius territory, so I'm quite curious how Toyota plans on keeping this from eating into Prius sales.
The Prius is more practical than the Corolla sedan and styling is another. Both have mediocre power but high mileage but I would choose practicality over styling as long as it wasnt ridiculous like the pre-refresh Prius.
Old 02-12-19, 06:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Both have mediocre power but high mileage
Where do ever get good power and high mileage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan