Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Worst Trends in Modern Cars and Trucks - savagegeese

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 10:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,711 Likes on 2,296 Posts
Default The Worst Trends in Modern Cars and Trucks - savagegeese

Old 11-16-18, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

For those that don't want to or can't watch the video. Here is Savagegeese list:

Do you Agree or Disagree?

Fake Engine Noise
Electronic Door Handles
Stuck On Screens
Over Complicated Tech
Infotainment
Over-sized Wheels and Tires
Piano Black Gloss Plastic and Plasti-Chrome
Turbo Everything
Fake Vents and Exhaust Tips
Truth In Marketing and Advertising
Old 11-16-18, 11:33 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I mostly agree. I really hate the glossy black plastic. Its just a fingerprint, dust and scratch magnet. I'm really considering to cover mine up with fake carbon fiber.

Btw, if anyone hasn't watched this channel's other videos, its really worth a watch. The presenter has an awesome sense of humor.
Old 11-16-18, 12:01 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I agree with most of that list. I like bigger wheels on my cars but it surprises me how big factory wheels have gotten on some cars. I could live with smaller wheels if the fender gaps weren’t so big on most cars.

I don’t mind turbo engines either if they’re reliable. Most luxury cars are so overloaded with technology that the average person doesn’t know how to operate anything. I work at a Lexus dealership and I deal with customers who don’t understand all of the crazy technology in our cars. It’s not too bad if you’re tech savvy but it seems most people are not.
Old 11-16-18, 12:50 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Agree with most on the list. Personally I would add the illuminated logos that shine down onto the ground from doors and side mirrors.
Old 11-16-18, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Tires and wheels are the #1 problem. It's not so much that the wheels themselves are too big, but that the tire profiles are too low, and, in some cases, MUCH too low. Ride comfort and pothole/impact protection suffers as a result...especially when combined with today's stiffer suspensions. It also makes tire-replacement more expensive than necessary.

Also a problem on today's cars, IMO, is overly-thin body sheet metal, doors that shut like tin cans, grilles that are too large or too garish, seats that are too sport-oriented (even in non-sport vehicles) and are overly-firm or lack padding, too many thin cheap parts in the interior, big engine covers that restrict underhood access, smaller turbo engines instead of larger N/A ones, overly-complex transmissions with too many gears, lack of true spare tires, lack of side-moldings for for door protection (though sometimes they are available as an option or accessory) aero/coupe-imitating rooflines on sedans that restrict rear headroom and entry/exit, and too many features controlled by electronic video-screens instead of dials, buttons, and simple controls.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 02:55 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Fake Engine Noise: I have never experienced it but I don't like it. What are the (luxury) automakers going to do when more EVs become available -- start using fake piston engine noises to give the EV more character?

Electronic Door Handles: He mentioned these door handles on Jaguar and Land Rover cars. Given British cars' (and JLR's) experience with bad (Lucas) electrical systems, this came across as funny to me; these seem to be problems just waiting to happen.

Stuck On Screens: I believe that this is a current fashion trend that will eventually resolve itself when this trend runs its course.

Over Complicated Tech and Infotainment: It seems to me that automakers have yet to work seriously with human factors engineers: There seems to be very little thought applied to how best to embed technology and make it work with the driver. But we are still in the early days of infotainment systems in passenger cars and trucks, similar to when the graphical user interface first started showing up on personal computers 20+ years ago; eventually, I believe that a (relatively) common, intuitive interface will become the standard.

Over-sized Wheels and Tires: I believe that this is a current fashion trend that will eventually resolve itself when this trend runs its course.

Piano Black Gloss Plastic and Plasti-Chrome: I believe that this is a current fashion trend that will eventually resolve itself when this trend runs its course.

Turbo Everything: I believe, in part, that this is a current fashion trend. The general buying public has been taught to associate "turbocharger" to be a good, beneficial technology, so anything that is turbocharged must be good. But merely turbocharging an old engine without associated serious engineering to make it truly do what people expect it to is a waste of resources. I await the electric turbocharger and eventually the replacement of the throttle valve with minutely-controlled forced induction.

Fake Vents and Exhaust Tips: I believe that this is a current fashion trend that will eventually resolve itself when this trend runs its course.
Old 11-16-18, 04:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Lame video. Turned it off once he swore. He must be a very boring man.
Old 11-16-18, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lame video.

Yes, a little lame-sounding, but (mostly) accurate.

Turned it off once he swore.
I don't use vulgarity or obscenity myself, but I can sympathize, at least to some extent, with the nonsense that he describes in a number of these features....some of it may actually deserve four letter words.

I DO disagree with him, though, on one thing......fake vents. I've always liked the Buick portholes....even after they ceased to be true portholes in the 1950s and became essentially molded-on or attached features. And he goes a little overboard in his condemnation of interior chrome-trim, even if it is plastic.....used in moderation, especially in conjunction with nice brushed-metal, carbon-fiber, and wood-tone trim, it can really spruce up a plain-looking interior.

He must be a very boring man.
Well, King Alex (Dykes) is the same way...he may have a monotonous, droning voice, but both tell it like it is.
Old 11-16-18, 05:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I must be mellowing in my old age. I don't see any of the trends as a big deal. And as Sulu mentioned most of them will just give way to the next trend before too long.
Old 11-16-18, 05:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I must be mellowing in my old age. I don't see any of the trends as a big deal. And as Sulu mentioned most of them will just give way to the next trend before too long.
For the guy to be a so called enthusiast, who has his own website etc. He should be able to respect these features a little better. Even if they are lame.
Old 11-16-18, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
And as Sulu mentioned most of them will just give way to the next trend before too long.
Hmmm....I don't know about that. As much as I and some others dislike them, Bob Lutz says that wagon wheels and rubber-band tires are here to stay....he's a guy who knows the industry inside and out. I hope he's wrong...but he has a pretty good batting average.

And.....why not? Money talks. Wheel and tire companies are making a killing by replacing all of the wheels and low-profile tires that are being ruined by potholes and other problems with bad pavement.......and, as a society, because of conflicting political and budgetary pressures, we're not spending anywhere near what it takes to adequately repave our roads or repair our bridges at proper intervals. So, there's (likely) your future......more crappy roads/infrastructure, and more rubber-band tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 06:23 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Toyota/ Lexus infotainment systems are the worst. I have no idea how they get away with being so terrible.

Savage geese is great though. His reviews are extremely thorough.
Old 11-17-18, 08:49 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In Germany, they have cities and newly, even Highways, that are forbiddent to cars with diesel engines.
France will probably go this way in short and other cities are going to forbid them.

I'm absolutely sure, SUV's also will become forbidden in the same extent. So SUV's are, for me, an absolutely stupid trend and a programmed financial catastrophy for working peoples.
Old 11-17-18, 09:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benoit
In Germany, they have cities and newly, even Highways, that are forbiddent to cars with diesel engines.
France will probably go this way in short and other cities are going to forbid them.

I'm absolutely sure, SUV's also will become forbidden in the same extent. So SUV's are, for me, an absolutely stupid trend and a programmed financial catastrophy for working peoples.
I really think you should differentiate an SUV vs a Cross over which really is more a car than anything else.

Quick Reply: The Worst Trends in Modern Cars and Trucks - savagegeese