Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it possible to swap the "BMW" style turn signals switch on a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 01:37 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is it possible to swap the "BMW" style turn signals switch on a Lexus?

I visited the Lexus dealer today and I came out disappointed knowing that some of the new Lexus coupes/sedans have those "BMW" style turn signal switch that sets itself in the middle rather than being held up/down while operating. I really hate these turn signals because they confuse the hell out of me when driving. I noticed the new Lexus SUV models don't have this.

Is it possible to swap these "BMW" style turn signal switches from the ones in the new Lexus SUV models? Are the parts compatible?
Old 11-14-18, 02:30 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
I visited the Lexus dealer today and I came out disappointed knowing that some of the new Lexus coupes/sedans have those "BMW" style turn signal switch that sets itself in the middle rather than being held up/down while operating. I really hate these turn signals because they confuse the hell out of me when driving. I noticed the new Lexus SUV models don't have this.

Is it possible to swap these "BMW" style turn signal switches from the ones in the new Lexus SUV models? Are the parts compatible?
Before we continue down this road, the Lexus turn signal stalks that operate like this do not work exactly like the ones in the BMW models.

In Lexus cars with these, the operation is as follows. In each direction, up and down, you have two detents in the travel range of the stalk. If you press it gently in either direction, to the first detent, you activate a lane change. If you press it harder, till you feel it "click" up or down, you activate the turn signal, which stays on until you turn. In either case, the stalk returns to its original position when released.

The difference in Lexus's version of this is that you can easily cancel the signal. For example, let's say you have just turned on the right signal by accident, when you just wanted a lane change. To turn it off, you can do so by simply pressing the stalk gently down. I believe that BMW's system doesn't work like that. I find the Lexus implementation to be very easy to use, at least once you get used to the level of effort required to move the stalk, which is quite easy to move compared to many vehicles. My first few days with my IS, I was accidentally turning it on a lot. However, now, I never make that mistake any more, and I'd say I got pretty consistent at using it after a week or two of driving.

According to Doug DeMuro:

But in a BMW, the stalk is already in the neutral position. So your left signal is on, you push the stalk upwards to turn off the signal, and -- guess what? -- now the right turn signal is on. In fact, the way to turn off the signal is to push the signal stalk back in the same direction you pushed it originally.
With Lexus, you do in fact get to push the stalk in the opposite direction to turn it off.
Old 11-14-18, 03:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Even BMW smartened up and abandoned those stupid signals in 2018 models.
Old 11-14-18, 03:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I don't understand what part is confusing about their operation. They work like regular turn signals, but they return to center. You use them in exactly the same way you use the traditional ones.
Old 11-14-18, 03:55 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Before we continue down this road, the Lexus turn signal stalks that operate like this do not work exactly like the ones in the BMW models.

In Lexus cars with these, the operation is as follows. In each direction, up and down, you have two detents in the travel range of the stalk. If you press it gently in either direction, to the first detent, you activate a lane change. If you press it harder, till you feel it "click" up or down, you activate the turn signal, which stays on until you turn. In either case, the stalk returns to its original position when released.

The difference in Lexus's version of this is that you can easily cancel the signal. For example, let's say you have just turned on the right signal by accident, when you just wanted a lane change. To turn it off, you can do so by simply pressing the stalk gently down. I believe that BMW's system doesn't work like that. I find the Lexus implementation to be very easy to use, at least once you get used to the level of effort required to move the stalk, which is quite easy to move compared to many vehicles. My first few days with my IS, I was accidentally turning it on a lot. However, now, I never make that mistake any more, and I'd say I got pretty consistent at using it after a week or two of driving.

According to Doug DeMuro:

With Lexus, you do in fact get to push the stalk in the opposite direction to turn it off.

I've driven a BMW today, they operate the same way as the Lexus ones. The only difference is that the switches are bulkier and requires more "push effort" to activate them. The Lexus ones are lighter and easier to operate, better ergonomics.
Old 11-14-18, 03:55 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't understand what part is confusing about their operation. They work like regular turn signals, but they return to center. You use them in exactly the same way you use the traditional ones.
I really prefer the traditional ones. The new Lexus SUVs still have them.
Old 11-14-18, 04:50 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The feature that Lexus was a bit late to adopt is the "3 flash with single tap" lane change operation.
Our 2008 Impala had it, Lexus just got it around 2015...
Old 11-14-18, 04:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My 13 RX had the lane change turn signal, so definitely not 2015.

My 14 IS had it too.
Old 11-14-18, 05:18 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Completely agree. I prefer them over the traditional ones.
Old 11-14-18, 07:46 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Agreed. Now that I am used to them, I understand why they are designed this way. It's so that they make less noise. Normally, when you make a turn, the stalk will automatically jump back into position, with a clicking sound. Not so with these - they don't move at all.
Old 11-14-18, 10:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

There is nothing more retarded than turn signals that return to center. Like I said before, BMW abandoned these in 2018 models after many customers complaints. I actually made a big thread on BMW forum complaining about this, and many agreed.

Good article from Doug Demuro regarding these.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...signals-260840
Old 11-15-18, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

LOL, I bet the BMW wipers were confusing too, as is riding a motorcycle and changing gears. I used to love when I'd see a sweet M6 signal left to change lanes, change, then suddenly the signal went right, left, right, left, finally off. I would think to myself rich, but new to BMW...
Old 11-15-18, 05:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
There is nothing more retarded than turn signals that return to center. Like I said before, BMW abandoned these in 2018 models after many customers complaints. I actually made a big thread on BMW forum complaining about this, and many agreed.

Good article from Doug Demuro regarding these.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...signals-260840
Thought I'd just point it out, you used a very politically incorrect term (I agree we got a little too politically correct for a while, but now we've gone to the other extreme). This is a forum and we don't know one another personally, but it may not be a good idea to use it face to face.
Old 11-15-18, 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
As do I. We're pretty intelligent creatures, so it's kind of funny to say they are this or that or the other thing. What about changing gears on a motorcycle, is that hard? Not at all. And as mentioned, the wipers on a BMW (at least mine) also do not have a detent. I think people just like to complain lol and this is most certainly a first world problem.
Old 11-15-18, 05:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Thought I'd just point it out, you used a very politically incorrect term (I agree we got a little too politically correct for a while, but now we've gone to the other extreme). This is a forum and we don't know one another personally, but it may not be a good idea to use it face to face.
Perhaps convoluted is a better term. Some people don't think it's a bad design, but taller people all find it frustrating. For me the upper portion of the cluster, where the blinker indicators are, is blocked by the steering wheel, so I lose visual way to tell whether my turn signals are on, as well as tactile way when the switch returns to center.

Luckily on my 2018 M2 its no longer the case, they went back to traditional switch.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to swap the "BMW" style turn signals switch on a Lexus?