Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4 Door Mustang? Never say never

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 09:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 4 Door Mustang? Never say never

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fo...our-door-sedan

The latest and greatest rumor about the Ford Mustang speculates that the iconic pony car could soon gain a four-door-sedan variant. According to a post on the Mustang forum Mustang6G.com, Ford shared vague plans for this new model at a dealer event last month. Although it's still entirely unsubstantiated by Ford at this point, this idea might not be quite as wild as it might seem—and we've illustrated what the car could look like (above).

The thinking is that a longer-wheelbase version of the Mustang with four doors and a fastback-like shape could move upmarket to compete with the likes of the Audi A7 and the Porsche Panamera. While this sounds more like Lincoln territory, the Mustang brand might be strong enough on its own to support such premium aspirations—current versions already range well into the $50,000 to $60,000 range. The forum post states that a turbocharged V-8 engine will be offered, although we're not sure which engine that might be, given that no such configuration currently exists within the Ford lineup. A turbo version of the current Mustang's 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 is possible, but we haven't heard any rumblings about that otherwise.

If such a vehicle were to come to fruition, the forum speculates, it would be distinct from a new Ford crossover, previously referred to as the Mach 1 but now expected to carry a different name, that's said to be inspired by the Mustang. That new model will be all electric and will have a taller profile. Other future additions to the Mustang lineup include a hybrid version for sometime in the near future and the high-performance GT500, which is expected to make its debut within the next few months.

Ford spokesperson Jiyan Cadiz did not confirm or deny the rumor, but did say that "we are always on our game to keep Mustang exciting every year," which seems to stoke the fire. We'll update this story when we have more information to share.

Personally, I don't know what to think. This feels just as sacrilegious as a mid-engined Corvette, or the 4 door Charger. I think an all new nameplate, sharing platform, engine and styling cues with the Mustang would have been better, but this could get interesting. Their plan to compete with the A7 and Panamera is definitely lofty though. It could end up being the better car, but I don't think many people are cross shopping Porsches with Fords.

But....if this starts a trend of returning to RWD V8 sedans, I'm all for it. Good bye Focus, we hardly gave a damn.
Old 11-13-18, 09:43 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Something doesn't look right, may be the wheels smaller ( rear wheel) than the regular Mustang.
​​​​​
Old 11-13-18, 11:33 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ford once produced a 4-door Thunderbird so I would not rule out a 4-door Mustang.

1971 Ford Thunderbird (courtesy of Barrett-Jackson)

Old 11-13-18, 11:38 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

If they give the 4-door Mustang suicide doors like the '71 Thunderbird, count me in.
Old 11-13-18, 12:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

4-door T-Bird (and 4-door Charger) or not, in my book, a 4-door Mustang is an abomination.

Even some TWO door Mustangs were close to being a abomination, as we saw in the 1970s and 1980s.
Old 11-13-18, 01:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Isnt ford canceling all sedans?
Old 11-13-18, 01:59 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Isnt ford canceling all sedans?
You can't cancel a sedan that doesn't exist.

But in all seriousness, I think the theory is as follows. The Mustang brand just might be strong enough to sell a four-door version, but the Ford brand itself? Not so much.
Old 11-13-18, 02:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/fo...our-door-sedan

Personally, I don't know what to think. This feels just as sacrilegious as a mid-engined Corvette, or the 4 door Charger. I think an all new nameplate, sharing platform, engine and styling cues with the Mustang would have been better, but this could get interesting. Their plan to compete with the A7 and Panamera is definitely lofty though. It could end up being the better car, but I don't think many people are cross shopping Porsches with Fords.

But....if this starts a trend of returning to RWD V8 sedans, I'm all for it. Good bye Focus, we hardly gave a damn.
The difference with the Charger is that it wasn't in continuous production for 50 years.

I can see making a vehicle that's essentially a Mustang underneath, but with 4 doors. But I'd want to see Ford revive some other name plate, and call it/style it that. Call it a Grand Torino--whatever.
Old 11-13-18, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Ford once produced a 4-door Thunderbird so I would not rule out a 4-door Mustang.

1971 Ford Thunderbird (courtesy of Barrett-Jackson)

Like its Lincoln Mark III/Mark IV cousins, that big, heavy, late-60s/early 70s 'Bird was actually a beautiful car to drive (I remember it well)....but, to be honest, you couldn't call it a Thunderbird. It was a pillow-soft, Magic-Carpet, out-and-out luxury car, with no pretense of sporting whatsoever.
Old 11-13-18, 05:11 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I could see this doing well against the Stinger, but the A7/Pana twins? That's a bit of a stretch. No matter how good it would be, I'd choose one of those over a 4 door Stang. Twice.
Old 11-13-18, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
I could see this doing well against the Stinger, but the A7/Pana twins? That's a bit of a stretch. No matter how good it would be, I'd choose one of those over a 4 door Stang. Twice.
The Stinger never earned its reputation as a two-door coupe/ponycar......the Mustang did.
Old 11-13-18, 05:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Stinger never earned its reputation as a two-door coupe/ponycar......the Mustang did.
That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t compete with the Stinger.
Old 11-14-18, 10:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

They should do a RWD Lincoln Continental and Mark7 or 8 off the new Mustang platform before doing a 4 door Mustang.
Old 11-14-18, 11:32 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
You might if it was half the cost, or less.

A7/Pana are gorgeous cars, but I just don't think this car would be in that same class. It would more likely be a competition with the Modern charger, Chevy SS, etc. I think reviving it under anything other than the mustang nameplate is a must. God forbid they name it "Mustang II" or "Pinto"

Names I would go for:

-Falcon
-Torino/Grand Torino
-Fairlane
-Galaxie
Old 11-14-18, 01:13 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grand Torino would be great. And just because it is on the mustang architecture does not mean they will/or should make it look like a stretched Mustang. Mustang underpinnings with a fresh body design would be a great performance/modding bargain for those who now have kids and a 2 door Mustang no longer meets their needs. I like the idea of the Charger, just not the current execution. But keeping a manual option is a must.

Quick Reply: 4 Door Mustang? Never say never