Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OK, Buick.. I think you impressed me with the '19 Enclave...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 10:37 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts
Default OK, Buick.. I think you impressed me with the '19 Enclave...

Just racked up 500 miles in a 2019 Enclave rental. It had 300 miles on the odometer when I got it, so I have to assume I'm either the 1st or 2nd renter. I haven't driven or ridden in a Buick in probably 15-20 years but I end up with my fair share of GM rentals so am pretty familiar with the Chevy, GM and Cadillac lineup and feel. I have to say...Buick has really stepped up their game. Interior has really solid fit & finish (this Enclave has very high quality leather, moonroof, 2nd row captains chairs, a very nice feeling steering wheel) and seems very well thought-out and includes the options you'd expect on a trim of this level. The front headlights and grille remind me of a mix of Infiniti and Volvo (both of which I'm good with) but I'm not sure how well this vehicle will "age" from a cosmetic perspective from the side and rear view. Something just looks a bit off. Cavernous interior- actually surprising how spacious it is.

The ride was spectacular on the highway - if you like plush and quiet, you'd like this. I think someone who's not so sure about buying a minivan would be a perfect target for this - tons of space for kids, nice interior space overall, fantastic car-like ride quality, and very well-appointed. I liked it enough to tell a family member who's searching for a small/mid-size SUV/crossover (coming from 2000 Highlander) to check out the Envision.

I'll post some pics a bit later showing the exterior and interior. I was pleasantly surprised and only had 2 gripes:
1) I don't like the Buick logo shining down on the ground from under the back of the Enclave when you're nearby with the key in your pocket. I'm just not a fan of door-lit logos like that on any brand. I assume this could be disabled.
2) I don't like the placement of the "button" you have to hold down on the shifter to get into reverse and drive. It's on the far left side and it feels out of place. It seems it would be better positioned directly in the middle of the shifter.
Old 11-07-18, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice write-up... i test drove one when it came out... didn't get on highway unfortunately, and maybe tires were pumped too high but it didn't seem either as quiet or as comfortable a ride as i expected it would be. and this was top trim avenir. it could be i was in a sport mode or something, the salesguy was worthless and i couldn't even find where the mode button was. anyway, it's DEFINITELY very roomy. if on more of a budget, the chevy traverse is the same platform and a lot less expensive. i didn't find the interior leather, and in particular the steering wheel, gauges, or infotainment screen, very luxurious. my biggest gripe though is it doesn't offer automatic wipers on any trim or as an option.
Old 11-07-18, 01:51 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice write-up... i test drove one when it came out... didn't get on highway unfortunately, and maybe tires were pumped too high but it didn't seem either as quiet or as comfortable a ride as i expected it would be. and this was top trim avenir. it could be i was in a sport mode or something, the salesguy was worthless and i couldn't even find where the mode button was. anyway, it's DEFINITELY very roomy. if on more of a budget, the chevy traverse is the same platform and a lot less expensive. i didn't find the interior leather, and in particular the steering wheel, gauges, or infotainment screen, very luxurious. my biggest gripe though is it doesn't offer automatic wipers on any trim or as an option.
Interesting points. I know you have the G90 so assume you like the serene, plush ride...which is how I found this Enclave to ride. Re: auto wipers- so funny you bring this up. It didn't rain when I had it but I was fumbling with the wipers this morning dealing with some morning moisture on the windshield and couldn't determine if it had auto wipers or not. It had so many other options that I just assumed it had that... crazy for a car not to have that these days.
Old 11-08-18, 06:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

How was the fuel economy? We drove one for a couple of days and averaged about 14, from the GMC dealer, and am pretty sure that there is less usable cargo space than the model it replaced (GM says same, but the numbers went from 115 to 95--how does the rating system change such that 95 is the old 115). If that thing got a new powertrain, I think it would be a good thing.

(My thinking is if you're gonna be 14 mpg, why not get a V8 and do the Tahoe thing instead or Tahoe's competitors--but crossovers ride better yes)
Old 11-08-18, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
How was the fuel economy? We drove one for a couple of days and averaged about 14, from the GMC dealer, and am pretty sure that there is less usable cargo space than the model it replaced (GM says same, but the numbers went from 115 to 95--how does the rating system change such that 95 is the old 115). If that thing got a new powertrain, I think it would be a good thing.

(My thinking is if you're gonna be 14 mpg, why not get a V8 and do the Tahoe thing instead or Tahoe's competitors--but crossovers ride better yes)
you must have driven with a heavy foot given its epa ratings.
(18/26) https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Enclave.shtml

as for less cargo room, maybe, because it's less 'boxy' than the old frumpster. new enclave still has a ton of room though, and especially great 3rd row usability compared to competitors.
Old 11-08-18, 07:52 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Forgot to include that, thanks. I got 22.5mpg with 90% highway driving and speeds around 75-80mph. Better MPG than the 2018 4Runner I rented last week which got 18mpg (not much better than my LX). I was surprised how spacious the interior was - way bigger than you'd think by looking at the exterior.
Old 11-08-18, 09:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Forgot to include that, thanks. I got 22.5mpg with 90% highway driving and speeds around 75-80mph. Better MPG than the 2018 4Runner I rented last week which got 18mpg (not much better than my LX). I was surprised how spacious the interior was - way bigger than you'd think by looking at the exterior.
Not bad....prior to me getting a Ford Edge loaner (I think around 2010 from a Nissan dealer), I never could conceptualize how difficult it is to launch a SUV from a stop....I got 12 mpg in the Edge with 100% stop and go (way before the ecoboost days)...my uncle's 2003 Yukon Denali (full time 4WD) was like 16 highway...but on that newest Suburban we got 24 mpg highway which I was impressed by (cylinder deactivation)....
Old 11-10-18, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

So I haven't driven or ridden in one, but I have ridden in a few new Chevy Traverses (in Disney World the "Minnie Van" Lyft service all is in new Traverses) and they impressed me from a ride and space perspective, interiors are pretty good too.

I'd get an Enclave to replace the Pacifica.
Old 11-10-18, 03:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Not bad....prior to me getting a Ford Edge loaner (I think around 2010 from a Nissan dealer), I never could conceptualize how difficult it is to launch a SUV from a stop....I got 12 mpg in the Edge with 100% stop and go (way before the ecoboost days)...my uncle's 2003 Yukon Denali (full time 4WD) was like 16 highway...but on that newest Suburban we got 24 mpg highway which I was impressed by (cylinder deactivation)....
you provide lots of anecdotes of ancient cars... most MODERN suvs get decent mileage at this point due to 8-10 speed autos, cvts, smaller engines and turbos, etc.

about the ford edge, it gets 17-24 AVERAGE mpg... according to epa.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...ord_Edge.shtml

Old 11-10-18, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'd get an Enclave to replace the Pacifica.
Unlike the smaller (but less-comfortable) Encore and Envision, the Enclave, like the Lacrosse, really pours on the comfort, but IMO it does not appear to be as solidly-built as the Opel-based Buicks. I guess, though, like with the Pacifica, that the possiblity of having issues does not stop you if you like something.
Old 11-10-18, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
does not appear to be as solidly-built as the Opel-based Buicks.
i still don't know what 'solidly-built' (or not) means.

i know from your reviews you like heavy doors, heavy hoods, and thicker sheet metal than today's cars but that's just not happening with fuel economy needs/regs. so cars instead of made 'solid' with interior beams, lighter fillers, zig-zag shaped metal that's light but incredibly strong, cfrp, etc.
Old 11-10-18, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i still don't know what 'solidly-built' (or not) means.
Very simple. Go out and look at your own G90. By today's standards, that's a perfect example. if you want to see some more examples, check out the Buick Cascada, Mercedes G-Wagen, and almost anything from Hyundai or Kia these days.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-10-18 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-10-18, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You just can't expect a Buick to be as "solid feeling" as a G90 which is meant to emulate $100k cars, or a MB G Wagen. Its all relative.

Like today, I got back in my LS460L after having driven my cousins Rogue for 1000 miles. It felt like HEAVEN. I mean, my god what a nice car. But...that doesn't mean the Rogue isn't a nice vehicle compared to vehicles similar to it.
Old 11-10-18, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You just can't expect a Buick to be as "solid feeling" as a G90 which is meant to emulate $100k cars, or a MB G Wagen. Its all relative.
Exactly. The Cascada is a German Opel, not a Buick, with the well-known Opel solidness.

Like today, I got back in my LS460L after having driven my cousins Rogue for 1000 miles. It felt like HEAVEN. I mean, my god what a nice car. But...that doesn't mean the Rogue isn't a nice vehicle compared to vehicles similar to it.
Even the 460, IMO, though, was not like the first two generations of the 400 for solidness.
Old 11-10-18, 08:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even the 460, IMO, though, was not like the first two generations of the 400 for solidness.
Having owned all three, I agree in some ways but not when it comes to the heft of the vehicle, the solidity of the doors closing, etc. Where the 460 (mostly pre 2013 460s) falls behind the 430 and 400 is in overall tightness of the build, resistance to rattles, etc.

BTW, the 460 is the 4th generation LS, there were 3 generations before it not 2.

Quick Reply: OK, Buick.. I think you impressed me with the '19 Enclave...