Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

how much did your insurance go up after your first small accident?

Old 10-30-18, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I wonder, how many out there have stuck with a co. 10-20-30 yrs., never had an accident, so they don't know/don't care how bad an insurance co. really is? I have heard horror stories with USAA, yet look at their commercials...
I agree, that can lull some people into a sense of complacency. I talk about GEICO, though, based on the way they have treated me even after the (few) chargeable accidents I've actually had. Otherwise, there is little to really base an opinion on.
Old 10-30-18, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's an interesting comparison of the top five companies:

\https://www.valuepenguin.com/state-f...-car-insurance
Old 10-30-18, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I also personally like having an agent...
Old 11-04-18, 07:48 AM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sr. liability adjuster checking in... While I do not work directly with underwriting, I was coached how to address the question when insureds ask about rate increases.

It depends how much is paid out overall on the claim- keep in mind there are expenses separate from just the damages to the vehicle ie. injuries being claimed (could go up if multiple passengers), rental vehicle cost, towing/storage fees, etc. So you may eyeball the damages at certain amounts, but the insurance company could have paid substantially more. As a result, your rates increase to re-coup those costs.

To those asking about rate increases without claims or accidents under their policy, a friend who works with policies advised those types of increases are generally company wide. Say for example a natural disaster destroys a number of cars in a specific region of the country. The insurance company wouldn't be able re-coup all those payouts by increasing affected policy holders only. So the risk is distributed to policy holders across the board. Also remember insurance companies need to keep up with inflation as well.
Old 11-09-18, 01:37 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance company service is one thing. Sure Geico has great service, even as a cut rate insurance company. Something has to give in their competitive pricing strategies, though, and that something is this:
Geico has one goal, and it's not your satisfaction they're interested in. They want to fix your car as quickly and as cheaply as humanly possible. They will not pay a shop to repair your car correctly the first time. There are many shops in my area that refuse to take a Geico claim because they just won't pay the shop to repair the car correctly. Labor times are cut to the bone and shops just can't work that way. Cheap, aftermarket, Chinese knock-off parts are always used. You DON't get what you pay for with Geico.
Old 11-10-18, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Insurance company service is one thing. Sure Geico has great service, even as a cut rate insurance company. Something has to give in their competitive pricing strategies, though, and that something is this:
Geico has one goal, and it's not your satisfaction they're interested in. They want to fix your car as quickly and as cheaply as humanly possible. They will not pay a shop to repair your car correctly the first time. There are many shops in my area that refuse to take a Geico claim because they just won't pay the shop to repair the car correctly. Labor times are cut to the bone and shops just can't work that way. Cheap, aftermarket, Chinese knock-off parts are always used. You DON't get what you pay for with Geico.
Exactly. I've been with Allstate for a long time, and it takes some effort but I'm always able to get them to use OEM parts.
Old 11-10-18, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly. I've been with Allstate for a long time, and it takes some effort but I'm always able to get them to use OEM parts.

Allstate does have a reputation for a good claims department.
Old 11-10-18, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I even got them to pay for a $1,700 OEM windshield.
Old 11-10-18, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I even got them to pay for a $1,700 OEM windshield.
If there's no other practical choice than to get an entirely new windshield, then fine, but I'm a believer that you don't want to break and replace that original factory windshield-seal unless you have to. That's why companies like Safelite have come up with bonding-repairs that, in some cases, can prevent the need to break that original seal.
Old 11-10-18, 02:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If there's no other practical choice than to get an entirely new windshield, then fine, but I'm a believer that you don't want to break and replace that original factory windshield-seal unless you have to. That's why companies like Safelite have come up with bonding-repairs that, in some cases, can prevent the need to break that original seal.
I've had those repairs done and they never turn out well IMHO. Not sure what that has to do with the topic. If my windshield has to be replaced...I want OEM glass. Good luck getting Geico to pay for $1,700 worth of OEM glass when they can buy a crappy Satellite aftermarket windshield for $300.

Sometimes you need a new windshield.
Old 11-11-18, 06:46 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've worked closely with insurance companies in a body shop environment for years. Geico has always been the fastest paying but that's about it. We had an LS400 that was a theft recovery and the navigation screen had a tiny little scratch in it. The owner, Geico insured, wanted the screen to be replaced to the tune of $13,000. Geico fought tooth and nail not to pay for that screen. They tried looking for a used screen or a refurbished one but couldn't find one. Finally, they offered the owner a $5,000 "cosmetic" allowance, which he accepted.
We've had Geico insured cars that couldn't leave our shop because they were unsafe to drive. Geico refused to make the repair right, so we ended up eating the expense so that the customer's car could be delivered.
Old 11-11-18, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have heard all the same stories. I would never, EVER buy insurance from Geico.
Old 11-11-18, 08:42 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Sometimes you need a new windshield.
Here in Ontario, Canada, insurance companies will not fix windshield chips that are directly in front -- in the line of sight -- of the driver; they will only replace the windshield; and cracks will not be repaired either -- they will only replace the windshield.
Old 11-11-18, 11:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Here in Ontario, Canada, insurance companies will not fix windshield chips that are directly in front -- in the line of sight -- of the driver; they will only replace the windshield; and cracks will not be repaired either -- they will only replace the windshield.
They won't here either.