Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Goodyear rolls out home tire installation service aimed at millennials

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Goodyear rolls out home tire installation service aimed at millennials

Technicians will bring tires to you and install them on the spot

Goodyear just introduced a home tire installation service called Roll by Goodyear. This service is quite the departure from the normal tire purchasing and installation process, because the tires can be trucked out and installed at your house.

On top of the luxury installation experience, Goodyear is also going to open its own showrooms in "vibrant lifestyle centers." Tire shoppers can go to these centers to peruse Goodyear rubber in a modern boutique space. (Yeah, we think that sounds like a bit much for tire-shopping, too.) Goodyear is also offering a valet service for those who buy tires, in case you didn't want them installed at your home. If you prefer, a technician will take your car from your driveway to a shop, then drop it back off with new tires.

So why is Goodyear venturing into this space for something that most people couldn't care less about? Well, the tire company thinks the service will be received favorably by millennials. For now the Washington, D.C., metro area will be the only spot this is available. Goodyear will see how the market reacts there to decide if it will be rolled out in other locations.
Source
Old 10-17-18, 10:58 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Brilliant. Goodyear is smart to revamp their retail strategy by focusing on an improved experience. I'd argue this is not just aimed at millennials- this is awesome for every one of us who lead busy lives and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting picked up & dropped off at a tire shop or sitting there for hours. I'd even pay a bit extra for the valet service if I had to. Kudos to them for changing an un-necessarily archaic process.
Old 10-17-18, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Interesting idea, but I doubt it will work.
Old 10-17-18, 11:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting idea, but I doubt it will work.
What makes you feel that way? I can't think of a single downside.
Old 10-17-18, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
What makes you feel that way? I can't think of a single downside.
Because Good Year is in the business of making tires and marketing them. Not changing them for customers. buying direct is usually more costly as there is often reduce competition
Old 10-17-18, 12:20 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

reminds me of the Liberty Mutual commercial where the kids don't know how to change a tire, nor what a wrench is, and the smart mom has overcome this problem by having Liberty Mutual insurance where they don't need to know how to change a tire themselves.

I'm like my colleague, before any kids in my household can drive a car, they need to demonstrate that they can

a) change the oil
b) change a tire
c) drive a manual

And it's not like this is that outdated of a concept, my colleague was born 1989 (man that was a long time ago).

What's next, Goodyear to make a decent tire and then have a star system by which they rate restaurants? (my BMW snows are made by Goodyear in Germany I'm just kidding)
Old 10-17-18, 12:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

make it michelin and I'll be interested
Old 10-17-18, 12:50 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Because Good Year is in the business of making tires and marketing them. Not changing them for customers. buying direct is usually more costly as there is often reduce competition
We may see a shift in their business model. Companies who think "we've always done it this way" are the ones in the headlines filing for bankruptcy and/or closing doors. I'm not sure how this model will scale (especially the valet model which may require GoodYear to have their own access to independent drivers to get your vehicle), but I think the concept of delivering convenience to the customer is the right move. I'm not sure GY needs these tire boutique shops - I would bet on customers just wanting to use an app or the website to pick out their tires and schedule the pickup and return of their vehicle.
Old 10-17-18, 12:56 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Maybe they don't have them in Canada, but here we have Goodyear stores, just like Firestone and others. They offer the typical services - new tire installation, tire repair, rotations, alignments, batteries, filter changes, brakes, etc.

Taking it mobile sounds like it could be worthwhile.
Old 10-17-18, 12:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Maybe they don't have them in Canada, but here we have Goodyear stores, just like Firestone and others. They offer the typical services - new tire installation, tire repair, rotations, alignments, batteries, filter changes, brakes, etc.

Taking it mobile sounds like it could be worthwhile.
Those Goodyear stores are franchises. They are available in Canada as well.

I believe these mobile types of services have been around for a long time. So maybe it might work.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-17-18 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 01:08 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

can see it being useful if you got a stranded car in the driveway
Old 10-17-18, 01:10 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

You do know that Goodyear owns and operates over 1,000 Tire and Service center locations today, correct? At these locations they certainly do change tires for customers. This is literally just a mobile extension of this existing business that they've been in for decades.

Those Goodyear stores are franchises. They are available in Canada as well.
According to their 2017 10-k, Goodyear holds the leases on all of these stores, and sublets some of them to independent dealers. details below:

Originally Posted by Goodyear Corporation 2017 Annual Report
We enter into leases primarily for our wholesale distribution facilities, administrative offices, retail stores, vehicles and data processing equipment under varying terms and conditions. Many of the leases require us to pay taxes assessed against leased property and the cost of insurance and maintenance. A portion of our retail distribution network is sublet to independent dealers.

While substantially all subleases and some operating leases are cancelable for periods beyond 2018, management expects that in the normal course of its business nearly all of its independent dealer distribution network will be actively operated. As leases and subleases for existing locations expire, we would normally expect to evaluate such leases and either renew the leases or substitute another more favorable retail location.

Last edited by geko29; 10-17-18 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

According to their 2017 10-k, Goodyear holds the leases on all of these stores, and sublets some of them to independent dealers. details below:
So? Lots of corps own the land their franchises are on. I don't see what the issue is.

Is this program owned and operated by Goodyear or by their franchises?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-17-18 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 02:32 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Buying tires from the local place every few years is not a major inconvenience for me. My kids have all done it at least once each now as well. I don't really need this fixed, but I'm not against something like this being available either. Will likely benefit some.

What I'd be excited to see is help with the whole Summer/Winter tire change. In my area (pacific northwest USA) this is a pretty uncommon thing to do. Almost nobody makes this easy. I think this would be a more valuable service. Could build brand loyalty, keep customer engaged 2x/year etc.
Plus maybe tire rotation which is sort of free if you are running summer/winter.
Maybe this could lead to that over time?
I agree with someone else, I'd prefer Michelin...

A local high end detailing company is just now ramping up a business where they will store your summer/winter tires for you. Drive out to your car to swap them, and store the off season tires. They can do tire swaps, install new tires, or tires on wheels. This is super convenient. Not cheap, but given the limited options around here, I think they will do well.
Old 10-17-18, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

IMO, this also begs the question if mounting equipment of sufficient size and effectiveness can be set up, under portable conditions like that, to do a precise mount and balance, where there will be no runout (out-of-round) or balance problems and their resulting vibrations/shimmies, or that will not damage alloy wheels during the process. Alloy wheels are precise-cast, and are less likely to be out-of-round and require special mounting processes (like were to put the weights or shifting the tire position on the wheel compensate for the runout), but are more likely to be damaged or marred by careless technicians or poor equipment. Stamped-steel wheels, on the other hand, are more durable and forgiving of mistakes, but often are not well-made to precise standards, out of round, and are more difficult to get a perfect mount/balance on. It is one thing to deal with those potential problems in a well-equipped tire shop.....quite another away from the shop, in one's driveway.

One thing that at least helps with Michelins, Continentals, and some of the other well-respected brands is that their tires are less likely to be out of round and encounter those problems in the first place.

Quick Reply: Goodyear rolls out home tire installation service aimed at millennials