Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Goodyear rolls out home tire installation service aimed at millennials

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 11:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think life is so busy for everyone that any and every task that can be made more convenient will get a thumbs-up from me. To me it doesn't matter if it's something that only happens once every few years - because if enough things I only do every couple of years get disrupted into offering more convenience, soon enough that compounds and my overall life is more convenient over time.

Side note answer: they tried to get me to un-necessarily replace control arms and brakes on my LS430 7 years ago. Declined and went for second opinion - took the car to a Toyota dealership without saying anything about that and drove the car 40k more miles before their brake change recommendation and over 100k miles before I traded the car in and they never recommended anything to control arms, bushings, etc. I exclusively stick with my Toyota SA and only take my car to Lexus for CPO work that can't be done by Toyota (when my LX570 hydraulic suspension leaked for example). There's no telling how much money this has saved me.
your side note shows that it's all the same. I bought my LS430 used in 10/16, took it right in and got brakes flushed and coolant drain/fill (prices were attractive ended up being $59 and $109?, not what they said over the phone, was higher on phone). But they also said I need $5,700 worth of work? I admit I was a newbie and quite concerned. Indie said need $0 of that.
Old 10-19-18, 03:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think life is so busy for everyone that any and every task that can be made more convenient will get a thumbs-up from me. To me it doesn't matter if it's something that only happens once every few years - because if enough things I only do every couple of years get disrupted into offering more convenience, soon enough that compounds and my overall life is more convenient over time.

This is not against you. But the whole line of being busy and my time is so important is so cliche and overused. Getting a set of tirs is something some of us do every 3, 4, 5, 6 years or longer. What next? Should we have the dentist come to us in a dental mobile because we are so busy, or perhaps the blood test takers...most people on here lease anyways and tires usually last longer than a lease. Car dealers and service shops can shuttle you to and from the location if time is some important. Or perhaps one can go shopping at Costco while the tires are being changed. I am not against a mobile mobile, it already exists and some dealers will come and get your car. That said, having one option from Goodyear while their franchises have bricks and mortars stores is a disservice to the franchise. Last set of tires I put on my car were Michelin, they were done at a Lexus/Toyota dealer, the turn around time was next day, they price matched them, offered to shuttle wherever I wanted to go, I had to wait about 1hr or so if I recall. Before that, our Matrix needed tires and my husband went to Coscto and shopped while they installed them...how busy must we all be to have the time to go back and forth all day about mostly useless stuff on this forum...Life is not so hard.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-19-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 03:49 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

This is not against you. But the whole line of being busy and my time is so important is so cliche and overused. Getting a set of tirs is something some of us do every 3, 4, 5, 6 years or longer. What next? Should we have the dentist come to us in a dental mobile because we are so busy, or perhaps the blood test takers...most people on here lease anyways and tires usually last longer than a lease. Car dealers and service shops can shuttle you to and from the location if time is some important. Or perhaps one can go shopping at Costco while the tires are being changed. I am not against a mobile mobile, it already exists and some dealers will come and get your car. That said, having one option from Goodyear while their franchises have bricks and mortars stores is a disservice to the franchise. Last set of tires I put on my car were Michelin, they were done at a Lexus/Toyota dealer, the turn around time was next day, they price matched them, offered to shuttle wherever I wanted to go, I had to wait about 1hr or so if I recall. Before that, our Matrix needed tires and my husband went to Coscto and shopped while they installed them...how busy must we all be to have the time to go back and forth all day about mostly useless stuff on this forum...Life is not so hard.
No offense taken. Everyone is different. But I do view my time as important - it's my most scarce resource. Anything someone or some company can do to make better use of it is of tremendous value to me. I'd never wander the aisles of Costco to kill time while my tires were being changed. I order my groceries online through an app, pull into a parking space and someone from the store brings them out. My grocery shopping now takes the amount of time that it takes me to go round trip from my house to the store (5 minutes). Things like that allow me to spend my time in a manner that's dictated by me - not dictated by what now feels like an archaic approach to accomplishing a task. I like using technology to become more efficient. Just my view.
Old 10-20-18, 04:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The time argument is an interesting one that my cousin used throught the years. One that I remember in particular was he and my aunt said you saved what, about $430 by DIY'ing the 335i spark plugs, and they laughed. My cousin stated he bills clients more than that for an hour of work (he made more than that per hour salaried, but he was just upping the value of his work and time over mine), and kinda taking a shot at me. He's been laid off for a year now (he got a year's severance so I'm sure he's ok), so maybe he shoulda been doing my spark plugs. I never bought that argument, never. It reminded me of the BMW forum, if you use Costco gas, you don't deserve a BMW. The way I rather look at it is hey I put in a 80 hr work week last week in Richmond, I can take a 2 hour lunch and hit Costco. It's actually up to me. Isn't it really that way at work? You are responsible to get x,y,z done, with 1,2,3 resources.. You do, you're rewarded. You don't, you're fired. But the time aspect to me never flew, sometimes it takes 80 hours in a week, sometimes less, but in the end, the job gets done. Another illustration is I have Montreal and Vancouver projects coming up in Dec. During Dec., I won't be able to hit Costco...poor me...
Old 10-20-18, 04:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

This is not against you. But the whole line of being busy and my time is so important is so cliche and overused. Getting a set of tires is something some of us do every 3, 4, 5, 6 years or longer. What next? Should we have the dentist come to us in a dental mobile because we are so busy, or perhaps the blood test takers...most people on here lease anyways and tires usually last longer than a lease. Car dealers and service shops can shuttle you to and from the location if time is some important. Or perhaps one can go shopping at Costco while the tires are being changed. I am not against a mobile mobile, it already exists and some dealers will come and get your car. That said, having one option from Goodyear while their franchises have bricks and mortars stores is a disservice to the franchise. Last set of tires I put on my car were Michelin, they were done at a Lexus/Toyota dealer, the turn around time was next day, they price matched them, offered to shuttle wherever I wanted to go, I had to wait about 1hr or so if I recall. Before that, our Matrix needed tires and my husband went to Coscto and shopped while they installed them...how busy must we all be to have the time to go back and forth all day about mostly useless stuff on this forum...Life is not so hard.

Agreed. the one that I always thought that was pushing it was when people imply their salary divided by 2000 or 3000 makes their time way more valuable than rolling up their sleeves. I have colleagues that love putting an addition on their house or building a garage, because they get the satisfaction out of knowing they did it the way they like. For me it extends to things that are below many here--the right car battery, the right oil, the right spark plug, the right drip moulding, the right brake rotor. Some just pay the dealership because their time is so precious. And don't get me wrong, it is. Would you rather work on your car, or play hockey with your toddler? It's a juggling act. But cliche and overused as you say. The one thing that came through loud and clear in talking to the older brothers of friends (older sisters never broke it down that way), is that at some age, for one guy whose opinion I respect, he said it was 53 y.o., things change and you want time, not money. He retired by the rule of 75 at 53--he stated the reduced pension in his eyes are absolutely worth it, because the time is worth it. So he was willing to forgo salary, to gain time to do what he wants with what remains in his life. I admit when I reach that age someday, I don't think I will be retired.

Yesterday, I saw on display the $130 off a set of 4 michelins at Costco. If I needed them, I'd take them up on that, because I like to pay less, not more, and their prices are in line, with online.

edit: again, I like analogies. If someone told you this new operation needs to be functional, in downtown Mississauga, by 2/20/18 (2 years in a row, family day in Canada? lol), and it's June 2017, that is, and is not, a LOT of time. Nobody says how to do it, it's up to the individual. I think between June '17 and Feb '18, I can figure out how to get tires replaced and it's neither here nor there if I wait for my car or some jokers show up in a van with floor jacks. With the exception of the BMW, I wait for my cars to be inspected every year--I have a 90 day window to do that, and I lose 1 hour or more sitting (BMW provides loaner even on a $40 job). Time....it's like people act that they are at some level, then they discuss things that make it seem they're like you or me. That's why I think its cliche as you say.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 10-20-18 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No offense, Jill, but, while getting around may not be (physically) very hard for you or your husband right now, that may or may not become the case as you get older (hopefully, it won't). While I myself am doing quite well now (thanks to God, a healthy diet, good medication/vitamins/supplemants, and common sense in my life-style), and can get around normally except for some weak knees that prevent extended periods of walking (and no running), I've had enough gout, arthritis, surgical recoveries, and other problems in my past to know that one can be laid up (or have difficulty getting around) at any time. I hope it doesn't happen to you. For some people, as you yourself said, room-service to one's front door might seem like overkill, but it is necessary for at some people, some of the time, under some circumstances. Is the answer to just give up one's car and go into assisted living or a nursing home? No, not IMO, as long as one is still physically and mentally able to drive. With my love for comfortable-riding cars and my natural tendency to judge and evaluate vehicles, I expect to be driving for decades yet, unless something really significant comes up to prevent it. And, by then, there may be self-driving cars on the market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-20-18 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 07:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The original article says this program will be limited to just the Washington, DC metro market initially. So it's obviously a test/pilot program to judge acceptance. If it is successful they can expand to other markets. If not, it will quietly go away. I'm sure that Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. has data on who buys tires, when, why etc. so it's not a total crap shoot on their part. Whether or not it is successful in the initial market remains to be seen, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old 10-20-18, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Side note: why would you not trust the dealer but trust them for CPO work?
Have no choice but to trust them for CPO work, its free lol
Old 10-20-18, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

North america is a service economy. More and more tasks will come to us. Hardly anyone i know would prefer to have to 'go' somewhere, deal with traffic, parking, tolls, road rage, etc. And self driving cars will have major, but unpredictable results. Because with self-driving cars, going somewhere won't be so bad because you can work or play as the vehicle takes you there. Of course it won't be for tires since you don't own or lease the car.
Old 10-20-18, 10:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

No offense, Jill, but, while getting around may not be (physically) very hard for you or your husband right now, that may or may not become the case as you get older (hopefully, it won't). While I myself am doing quite well now (thanks to God, a healthy diet, good medication/vitamins/supplemants, and common sense in my life-style), and can get around normally except for some weak knees that prevent extended periods of walking (and no running), I've had enough gout, arthritis, surgical recoveries, and other problems in my past to know that one can be laid up (or have difficulty getting around) at any time. I hope it doesn't happen to you. For some people, as you yourself said, room-service to one's front door might seem like overkill, but it is necessary for at some people, some of the time, under some circumstances. Is the answer to just give up one's car and go into assisted living or a nursing home? No, not IMO, as long as one is still physically and mentally able to drive. With my love for comfortable-riding cars and my natural tendency to judge and evaluate vehicles, I expect to be driving for decades yet, unless something really significant comes up to prevent it. And, by then, there may be self-driving cars on the market.
If someone needs home installation of tires because physically getting to the tire store is too taxing, that person should be seriously considering giving up their driver's license.
Old 10-20-18, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
If someone needs home installation of tires because physically getting to the tire store is too taxing, that person should be seriously considering giving up their driver's license.

No. I addressed that in my last reply. I do agree, however, that, for able-bodied people, room service is not an excuse for laziness.
Old 10-20-18, 12:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. I addressed that in my last reply. I do agree, however, that, for able-bodied people, room service is not an excuse for laziness.
I never said anything about room service. That's more of a luxury service.
Old 10-20-18, 01:02 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I would agree with others on here regarding the fact that tires are something we do every 3 plus years. It will be interesting to see what the results of the Goodyear test is. Just curious, are we really so busy 24/7 of every day that we can't take time out for tires? I can understand grocery delivery for someone who has kids & works, doesn't want to drag the group to the store, but tires? Like someone above stated, I had to get a new set a couple of months ago, went to Costco, dropped the RX off, did my shopping, picked up the RX with new tires, was on my way. No big deal.
Old 10-20-18, 01:10 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jer
I would agree with others on here regarding the fact that tires are something we do every 3 plus years. It will be interesting to see what the results of the Goodyear test is. Just curious, are we really so busy 24/7 of every day that we can't take time out for tires? I can understand grocery delivery for someone who has kids & works, doesn't want to drag the group to the store, but tires? Like someone above stated, I had to get a new set a couple of months ago, went to Costco, dropped the RX off, did my shopping, picked up the RX with new tires, was on my way. No big deal.
And going to the Dr is really important, but most people put it off. Importance has nothing to do with it. Not everyone belongs to Costco, so it means (1) going to the tire shop/dealer, and sitting around for at least an hour in an uncomfortable waiting area and having to watch The View, or (2) have someone give you a ride back/forth to drop your car off. All for something as boring as tires, which most people don't want to have to research or understand.

I'm lucky because my local dealer will price match, so I can get a loaner (and the dealer is directly on my way to the office); or if not, there is a great indy shop a few blocks away from my office that will match Tire Rack's price.

But again, most people can't bring themselves to wade thru all this. It's not the same as taking an hour at the grocery store, because you are going up and down the aisles, picking out, price comparing, comparing nutrition labels, etc, etc, all for an activity which is really important -- eating.
Old 10-20-18, 01:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I never said anything about room service. That's more of a luxury service.
I was being facetious....by "room service", I meant formal delivery to one's residence, whether it be tires, mobile-detailing, washing, whatever have you. My brother, however, tried a vehicle mobile-detailing service at his office, and liked it.

Quick Reply: Goodyear rolls out home tire installation service aimed at millennials