Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 10:57 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Fine if you want to quibble with the Avalon example, but what about the Maxima or TLX, which promotes itself as a sportier car? Or a Fusion Sport? The point is, people may be coming from a V6 mid+ sized sedan, and want something sportier. If you go with a BMW 3/4 Series, you would have to drop down from your V6 to a turbo-4 to stay in the Stinger GT price range. I can see people who are used to a V6 hesitant to move down to a turbo 4, whether that view is correct or not.
The thing is - the people coming from a Maxima or TLX with a V6 won't have a problem going to a turbo-4. Because the Turbo 4 in the BMW 3 Series is a better performing engine with better fuel economy than the Maxima/TLX V6. Its literally like a win-win situation.

Another thing is - its not "dropping down" when the V6 is slower than the turbo. It'll be moving up the performance spectrum.
Old 10-15-18, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

tex, with similar options there's no way a 340i is less than a stinger gt2.
Old 10-15-18, 12:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Fine if you want to quibble with the Avalon example, but what about the Maxima or TLX, which promotes itself as a sportier car? Or a Fusion Sport? The point is, people may be coming from a V6 mid+ sized sedan, and want something sportier. If you go with a BMW 3/4 Series, you would have to drop down from your V6 to a turbo-4 to stay in the Stinger GT price range. I can see people who are used to a V6 hesitant to move down to a turbo 4, whether that view is correct or not.
Yeah for me, it'd be a much easier sell to go from NA V-6 to turbo V-6. And that's what much of the mainstream sedan segment is still offering.
Old 10-15-18, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Jill has a point here. All review publicans are biased. There's always an interest praise or put down something.

I have seen negative reviews of the Stinger. Granted - there isn't a lot of them but there is quite a few. Carwow has a "semi"-negative review on the Stinger. Check here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qedwTyqZt_U

His review is only negative when the idea that the new Stinger does not live up to BMW, Mercedes or Audi. If the guy does not refer to BMW, Mercedes or Audi, then there is no issue. That publication I am sure how many BMW, Audi or MB viewers simply based on where it is.

Jill has a point here. All review publicans are biased. There's always an interest praise or put down something.

Thanks. Appreciate the comments.
Old 10-15-18, 01:18 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm kinda late to the party so don't know if the OP has purchased or not.

but my take,.. I own a 2018 G80 Sport and I love it.. because of comfort issues related to a disability/injury I had to let go of my RCF, I did look at the GS and even a CPO LS, but at the end of the day the G80 was better equipped and a better overall value.

I thought I would not like the handling of a sedan, coming from the RCF and previously a Camaro, but the G80 is no slouch, while nothing like a sport coupe, in Sport mode the active suspension tightens and it takes corners very well. in normal or eco mode it is a comfortable highway cruiser. the 9" display is a little less real estate than the GS 12.1" but for me that wasn't an issue. Unless you drive hard or track it, I suspect you will find, as I did that the Sport handles very well for a daily driver. minimal body roll and good feedback.

My one and only complaint is that the transmission doesn't not have a hold gear mode, even in sport it will shift back to "D" after a period of time.

Right now 2018 G80 inventory is low because the 2019s are coming out, the word on the Genesis forums is inventory should be back to full by late Oct early Nov for 2019s.

Talk to your local Hyundai/Genesis dealer, make sure they are a Genesis certified dealer not all Hyundai dealers are. The certified ones allow an over night test drive, and will honor the concierge service, non-certified ones will not. .
Old 10-15-18, 02:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I'm kinda late to the party so don't know if the OP has purchased or not.

but my take,.. I own a 2018 G80 Sport and I love it.. because of comfort issues related to a disability/injury I had to let go of my RCF, I did look at the GS and even a CPO LS, but at the end of the day the G80 was better equipped and a better overall value.

I thought I would not like the handling of a sedan, coming from the RCF and previously a Camaro, but the G80 is no slouch, while nothing like a sport coupe, in Sport mode the active suspension tightens and it takes corners very well. in normal or eco mode it is a comfortable highway cruiser. the 9" display is a little less real estate than the GS 12.1" but for me that wasn't an issue. Unless you drive hard or track it, I suspect you will find, as I did that the Sport handles very well for a daily driver. minimal body roll and good feedback.

My one and only complaint is that the transmission doesn't not have a hold gear mode, even in sport it will shift back to "D" after a period of time.

Right now 2018 G80 inventory is low because the 2019s are coming out, the word on the Genesis forums is inventory should be back to full by late Oct early Nov for 2019s.

Talk to your local Hyundai/Genesis dealer, make sure they are a Genesis certified dealer not all Hyundai dealers are. The certified ones allow an over night test drive, and will honor the concierge service, non-certified ones will not. .
Thanks for this reply. I have not yet purchased as I have decided to wait for the 2019s. Glad to hear your G80 is working out so well for you.
Old 10-15-18, 02:45 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
His review is only negative when the idea that the new Stinger does not live up to BMW, Mercedes or Audi. If the guy does not refer to BMW, Mercedes or Audi, then there is no issue. That publication I am sure how many BMW, Audi or MB viewers simply based on where it is.
How's it an issue that he claimed the Stinger doesn't live up to BMW, MB and Audi? He didn't say the Stinger didn't live up to the BMW, MB or Audi because it was a KIA. He said - the Stinger didn't live up to the BMW, MB or Audi because of the build quality. And that is a fair point.

Its just ironic and bias shows across reviews. People gets aggressive and argumentative when a reviewer says the Stinger doesn't live up to the BMW, MB and Audi. But when a review says the Stinger is making the Germans worry because its a hella good car - the comments are like "hell yeah!" "Go KIA".

Another ironic thing is - People (my self included) wants the Stinger GT2 to be compared to the 3 Series, A4/S4, and C-Class. However - it gets ironic - when some of those people get aggressive when a reviewer claim it doesn't live up to the Germans.
Old 10-15-18, 02:46 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for this reply. I have not yet purchased as I have decided to wait for the 2019s. Glad to hear your G80 is working out so well for you.
I think that is a good idea. I always wait after the first model year. First model years for any cars seems to have always have issues
Old 10-15-18, 02:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I think that is a good idea. I always wait after the first model year. First model years for any cars seems to have always have issues
The big driver here is that the 2019s will be adding the around-view camera and the wireless charging pad. Neither are showstoppers, but since the 2019s are just starting to arrive, I think I'd rather wait and get these two features. I also have a few GS lease payments left, and the more of those I make, the better it's going to be, so taking a little bit of time to work through this seems like the most logical plan.
Old 10-15-18, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

How's it an issue that he claimed the Stinger doesn't live up to BMW, MB and Audi? He didn't say the Stinger didn't live up to the BMW, MB or Audi because it was a KIA. He said - the Stinger didn't live up to the BMW, MB or Audi because of the build quality. And that is a fair point.
Because the KIA badge does not live up to the BMW, MB or Audi. Its implied, not by him necessarily. He claims that the KIA does not quite have the "poise" or "grip" He claims the gearbox is "OK" apparently it is not as fast shifting as in a BMW as he says. He says KIA is not too proud to copy. Says in premium cars the phone is connected without Apple Car play, but KIA you need to have Apple Car Play. At the end he says it does not quite feel as "posh" as its German rivals. All fine comments by him, but KIA as a brand does not compare with those brands, that is supposed to be left for Genesis.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-15-18 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 02:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

The Alex on Autos review was pretty good. "This is my favorite new car in America."

Old 10-15-18, 04:08 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The big driver here is that the 2019s will be adding the around-view camera and the wireless charging pad. Neither are showstoppers, but since the 2019s are just starting to arrive, I think I'd rather wait and get these two features. I also have a few GS lease payments left, and the more of those I make, the better it's going to be, so taking a little bit of time to work through this seems like the most logical plan.

Great idea! You clearly can wait it out, so might as well. I'm sure you'll find decent deals on 2019's once they start flooding the dealerships over the next few months. The ceramic grey (one of your choices, and also very hard to find... Atleast in my area) is the color I got. Absolutely love the color! The car and color grabs A LOT of attention, so be warned if you do decide to go with it.

Glad you're picking what's best for your needs. Even if your decision is to stick with the GS!
Old 10-15-18, 04:26 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because the KIA badge does not live up to the BMW, MB or Audi. Its implied, not by him necessarily. He claims that the KIA does not quite have the "poise" or "grip" He claims the gearbox is "OK" apparently it is not as fast shifting as in a BMW as he says. He says KIA is not too proud to copy. Says in premium cars the phone is connected without Apple Car play, but KIA you need to have Apple Car Play. At the end he says it does not quite feel as "posh" as its German rivals. All fine comments by him, but KIA as a brand does not compare with those brands, that is supposed to be left for Genesis.

The reviewer is wrong about the phone thing, he probably didn’t test it long enough to figure it out, but Kia/Hyundai/Genesis include both Bluetooth and CarPlay/Android auto; you can use either, but not both together. If you are carplay connected (hard wired) then you have to disable Bluetooth either on the phone or on the car as it will conflict with CarPlay.

and that is true on any car, my Lexus RCF had the same issue, as does my wife’s 2017 Camry, if hard wired to the usb then the enform system got all weird with the Bluetooth connection. Same with some of my former cars.

As as I recall BMW and Audi are offering wireless CarPlay so apparently the issue doesn’t happen, but in those cases you have to have a subscription for the wireless 4g in the car to make wireless CarPlay work, if you don’t use the subscription service and do the hard wire for CarPlay then the issue arises even in the BMWs. Co-workers M4 has the same issue when hardwired.
Old 10-15-18, 04:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The thing is - the people coming from a Maxima or TLX with a V6 won't have a problem going to a turbo-4. Because the Turbo 4 in the BMW 3 Series is a better performing engine with better fuel economy than the Maxima/TLX V6. Its literally like a win-win situation.

Another thing is - its not "dropping down" when the V6 is slower than the turbo. It'll be moving up the performance spectrum.
You are talking facts; I am talking mindset. I don't see how you can just say someone that drives a V6 with 270-300HP is going to automatically just say "Oh, yeah, sure, I'll get the 4-banger." Some will; some won't. I'll bet there are plenty of people that haven't embraced the turbo 4 yet.

Last edited by tex2670; 10-15-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 04:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tex, with similar options there's no way a 340i is less than a stinger gt2.
That's my point. If you want a 6, you need to spent a lot more to get a 3/4 Series. My '14 328 had an MSRP of what it would cost to get a GT2 now. But my car has 115 HP less than a GT2.

Last edited by tex2670; 10-15-18 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement