Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 04:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

The reviewer is wrong about the phone thing, he probably didn’t test it long enough to figure it out, but Kia/Hyundai/Genesis include both Bluetooth and CarPlay/Android auto; you can use either, but not both together. If you are carplay connected (hard wired) then you have to disable Bluetooth either on the phone or on the car as it will conflict with CarPlay.

and that is true on any car, my Lexus RCF had the same issue, as does my wife’s 2017 Camry, if hard wired to the usb then the enform system got all weird with the Bluetooth connection. Same with some of my former cars.

As as I recall BMW and Audi are offering wireless CarPlay so apparently the issue doesn’t happen, but in those cases you have to have a subscription for the wireless 4g in the car to make wireless CarPlay work, if you don’t use the subscription service and do the hard wire for CarPlay then the issue arises even in the BMWs. Co-workers M4 has the same issue when hardwired.
Thanks for the comment. I learned more in your post than from the reviewer

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-15-18 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 06:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

JDR76, wow, where have I been the last fews days! Oh yeah, driving my Stinger

I'm late to the bandwagon here and have tried to catch up skimming through the many posts. Here are my comments to the comments...

Badge concern: You clearly don't have this issue which is great or you'd not even consider the Stinger. I had it at first and with zero-intention of buying one, I checked out the Stinger and no turning back. I put on the S. Korean badging to ease me into the transition I like the S.Korean badging as it makes the car look even more premium. That aside, I have no qualms knowing it's a Kia because I KNOW the car is that good.

Build and materials quality: Materials are up there with an IS and A4, but build not as tight as the IS. Maybe 1st year build quality issues such as the rear hatch rattle and occasional door panel creak when pressing against it, but the car still feels solid over bumps (no rattles) and a nice quality thump of the door slamming shut.

Handling and Ride: Rear end does float a bit over bumps. Ride quality is smooth to me especially great on long trips. Impact harshness is decent, similar to my past IS F Sport, but not too surprised you find it firm coming from the GS F Sport.

NVH: Noise is pretty good, better than the IS so quite happy with it. But it's not as quiet as the RX which is about like the GS. Vibration/harshness virtually non-existent - very smooth refined TTV6.

Styling/Uniqueness: What's there to say. This car is special and a head turner. Keep getting compliments on the car and I continue to take pleasure in seeing their reaction when I tell them it's a Kia!

Cost-cutting: Yes there is some in the Stinger, but not more than an IS's lower hard-plastic sections. There are a couple more though. Turn signal and wiper stalks feel ok but not premium, the paddle shifters are cheap and flimsy, and the durability on the Nappa leather is questionable - early signs of wear on my bolster and some other owners have complained too.

P.S. Love the red exterior. That was my second choice. If the deal is right, go for it. Only caveat is the reliability long-term is a question but for me a non-issue as I keep cars 2-3 years max.

Any questions, let me know!

Old 10-15-18, 08:36 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You are talking facts; I am talking mindset. I don't see how you can just say someone that drives a V6 with 270-300HP is going to automatically just say "Oh, yeah, sure, I'll get the 4-banger." Some will; some won't. I'll bet there are plenty of people that haven't embraced the turbo 4 yet.
If you are talking mindset, then that's a horrible mindset. To prefer a slower car because it has two more cylinders is stupid.

It sounds like the people who prefer V8 over TT V6.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Build and materials quality: Materials are up there with an IS and A4, but build not as tight as the IS. Maybe 1st year build quality issues such as the rear hatch rattle and occasional door panel creak when pressing against it, but the car still feels solid over bumps (no rattles) and a nice quality thump of the door slamming shut.
While I agree with everything else you said about the Stinger, I disagree here. The materials and build quality is much better on the A4 and IS than the Stinger. The Stinger isn't up there with them on this category.

My cousin owns an Audi A4 and I have spent time in one. I also own a Lexus IS.

From my experiences, when I got into the Stinger at my local dealer and also test drove it - the IS and A4 definitely feels better built and has better material.
Old 10-15-18, 09:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
If you are talking mindset, then that's a horrible mindset. To prefer a slower car because it has two more cylinders is stupid.
Ehhhhhhh that's partly why I chose the IS over the A4 or 3 series. The additional cylinders make it smoother. For the same reason, I'd have a hard time settling for a four-cylinder Stringer - though, it also comes with less oomph than the GT.
Old 10-15-18, 10:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Ehhhhhhh that's partly why I chose the IS over the A4 or 3 series. The additional cylinders make it smoother. For the same reason, I'd have a hard time settling for a four-cylinder Stringer - though, it also comes with less oomph than the GT.
Your reasoning is different though. You leaned towards the V6 for the smoother ride knowing that it'll be slower.

I think what Tex and I were talking about in the context of power.
Old 10-16-18, 07:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
JDR76, wow, where have I been the last fews days! Oh yeah, driving my Stinger
Ah, I've been waiting for you to show up!

I'm late to the bandwagon here and have tried to catch up skimming through the many posts. Here are my comments to the comments...

Badge concern: You clearly don't have this issue which is great or you'd not even consider the Stinger. I had it at first and with zero-intention of buying one, I checked out the Stinger and no turning back. I put on the S. Korean badging to ease me into the transition I like the S.Korean badging as it makes the car look even more premium. That aside, I have no qualms knowing it's a Kia because I KNOW the car is that good.
Going from a Lexus to a Kia does feel a bit like moving backward, in fact my wife is having a bit of a struggle with this though ultimately she's fine with whatever I decide. That's not a Kia thing, though, as she felt the same when we traded in her RX for the Highlander. I have realized though that sometimes I do not like to tell people that I drive a Lexus, as it can feel a bit pretentious.

I agree completely. I was seriously impressed with the materials in the Stinger - real aluminum trim, lots of soft touch materials, laminated windows, Nappa leather, etc. Not up to the level of the GS, for sure, but I would say they were at least as good, and in many cases better than my previous IS. Build quality was hard to evaluate in just a test drive, but I have no reason to doubt what you say. The example I drove was the dealer's demo and had about 4k miles on it. No rattles or any obvious signs of wear.

Handling and Ride: Rear end does float a bit over bumps. Ride quality is smooth to me especially great on long trips. Impact harshness is decent, similar to my past IS F Sport, but not too surprised you find it firm coming from the GS F Sport.
I did enjoy the ride and felt like they did a good job on the ride/handling compromise. Firm for sure, but not uncomfortable.

NVH: Noise is pretty good, better than the IS so quite happy with it. But it's not as quiet as the RX which is about like the GS. Vibration/harshness virtually non-existent - very smooth refined TTV6.
I thought they did a great job controlling both tire and wind noise. What I really heard was the engine and exhaust note, and I found both to be pleasant. No complaints there!

Styling/Uniqueness: What's there to say. This car is special and a head turner. Keep getting compliments on the car and I continue to take pleasure in seeing their reaction when I tell them it's a Kia!
The exterior is definitely my favorite. I love the fastback look, and the low, wide aggressive stance. As I've mentioned previously, the interior design is not my favorite - mainly just the dash area around the circular vents. It's better in real life than in pictures, and still not completely my favorite, but totally fine.

Cost-cutting: Yes there is some in the Stinger, but not more than an IS's lower hard-plastic sections. There are a couple more though. Turn signal and wiper stalks feel ok but not premium, the paddle shifters are cheap and flimsy, and the durability on the Nappa leather is questionable - early signs of wear on my bolster and some other owners have complained too.
Every car has some cost cutting (at least at this price range). I did notice the stalks weren't as nice as they are in my GS. I am not one to really care about hard plastics in areas that you don't really come in contact with, so I don't mind if a lower door panel is hard plastic. They are soft in my GS but I can't actually say they have brought me additional satisfaction or pleasure because of this.

P.S. Love the red exterior. That was my second choice. If the deal is right, go for it. Only caveat is the reliability long-term is a question but for me a non-issue as I keep cars 2-3 years max.
I will most likely do a 3 year lease, but I really am not concerned about the reliability of the Stinger. Hyundai/Kia have come a very long way. I don't expect it to be as flawless as my GS (3 years and 20k miles without a single warranty repair), but I think it'll be fine.

Any questions, let me know!
Appreciate that!
Old 10-16-18, 08:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I saw one at the amusement park (inside at a Kia display) on Sunday, and I liked everything about the car (except the lack of a manual which there's not a lot we can do)....so I saw it up close but no opportunity to drive. Driving would tell all, but again up close? Liked it....
Old 10-16-18, 09:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

The Stinger is an awesome looking car. I think it would be a good replacement option for a GS. I saw one a couple of months ago that just had an "E" badge on the front - that's apparently how they are branded in the Korean market and there were lots of people looking at it trying to figure out what it was.

Good luck on your decision!
Old 10-16-18, 11:30 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

The one downside I have seen with my Stinger is.... The smallish gas tank! That is something that doesn't get talked about ever because the highway fuel mileage is GREAT, but I live in the middle of a dense city. 15 gallon tank to me is kinda small when all my previous cars could hold 3+ more gallons.

But, it's a GT car. Meant for the highway. 28-30mpg highway has been the norm for me which I think is pretty good for the amount of power the engine makes and it's weight.
Old 10-16-18, 11:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I saw one at the amusement park (inside at a Kia display) on Sunday, and I liked everything about the car (except the lack of a manual which there's not a lot we can do)....so I saw it up close but no opportunity to drive. Driving would tell all, but again up close? Liked it....
A manual would be a lot of fun, no doubt.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
The Stinger is an awesome looking car. I think it would be a good replacement option for a GS. I saw one a couple of months ago that just had an "E" badge on the front - that's apparently how they are branded in the Korean market and there were lots of people looking at it trying to figure out what it was.

Good luck on your decision!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by GFerg
The one downside I have seen with my Stinger is.... The smallish gas tank! That is something that doesn't get talked about ever because the highway fuel mileage is GREAT, but I live in the middle of a dense city. 15 gallon tank to me is kinda small when all my previous cars could hold 3+ more gallons.

But, it's a GT car. Meant for the highway. 28-30mpg highway has been the norm for me which I think is pretty good for the amount of power the engine makes and it's weight.
I actually noticed this in the specs. Fortunately for me I don't drive a lot. I've only put 20k on my GS in 3 years, and that includes a few road trips. Good to hear it does well on the highway, though.
Old 10-16-18, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Going from a Lexus to a Kia does feel a bit like moving backward, in fact my wife is having a bit of a struggle with this though ultimately she's fine with whatever I decide.
As I see it, not if the vehicle meets your needs. Some years ago, I went from a 1Gen Lexus IS300 to a 3Gen Subaru Outback, and didn't look back once. The IS300, yes, was a nice car, but, at the time, it simply did not meet my needs.....and the AWD Outback did, at a reasonable price.
Old 10-16-18, 06:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

+GFerg, yep probably my biggest negative is the small gas tank.

Car is a great hwy cruiser. Two road trips, one to Ottawa (300 miles), another Chicago (500 miles), in total family comfort. Pic below at a rest area towards Chicago.

Old 10-19-18, 04:23 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus

It sounds like the people who prefer V8 over TT V6..
Yeah, we know, we are somewhat of idiots. I love the harmonics coming out of a V6 and V8, not the harmonics from 4 cylinders. I literally dream about revving a Lexus RCF around 5'000 rpm. 4 bangers could be superior in every way (they also very probably are), I would still prioritize 2 or 4 more cylinders, just for the growl I will be able to feel.

But I'm convinced that there will be good "in between solution" coming up in a few time. Like 2.1 inline sixe's with Turbos or a 2.4 V8 with double turbo.

Just imagine if Lexus would offer a 2.7 V6TT version. It would replace a large range of engines and would be plenty than enough to power up a whole range of cars.
Old 10-19-18, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
The one downside I have seen with my Stinger is.... The smallish gas tank!
it always seems smaller if you have a lead foot.
Old 10-19-18, 09:27 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benoit
Yeah, we know, we are somewhat of idiots. I love the harmonics coming out of a V6 and V8, not the harmonics from 4 cylinders. I literally dream about revving a Lexus RCF around 5'000 rpm. 4 bangers could be superior in every way (they also very probably are), I would still prioritize 2 or 4 more cylinders, just for the growl I will be able to feel.

But I'm convinced that there will be good "in between solution" coming up in a few time. Like 2.1 inline sixe's with Turbos or a 2.4 V8 with double turbo.

Just imagine if Lexus would offer a 2.7 V6TT version. It would replace a large range of engines and would be plenty than enough to power up a whole range of cars.
Everyone loves different things, I suppose. The growl of the V8, V10 and V12 is special. Just like the BOV and turbo spooling sound on a Turbo car is special. For me, I rather have a turbo spooling sound than a V6.

Quick Reply: Stinger as Possible GS350 Replacement