Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota, sensing an opening, debates building Lexus cars in China

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-18, 03:05 PM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I WAS a huge Acura fan and I've seen how Honda quality cratered when they started producing in Ohio.

I have heard from folks INSIDE Mercedes about serious quality failures at the Tuscaloosa plant.

Toyota installed the WRONG PISTONS (how does this happen?) at the US Camry plant.

At some point, you can see a pattern.

I'll pay extra for "Made in Japan", everytime:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_2272291.html
Old 10-10-18, 03:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ every Automaker in every country will have some sort of issue throughout its history. One from Japan most recently was a year ago when Nissan suspended production in Japan because of flawed inspections of their vehicles they were producing. It affected 1.2 million vehicles. If buying Japan makes one happy then do it, but no one is perfect.
Old 10-10-18, 04:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesands
I WAS a huge Acura fan and I've seen how Honda quality cratered when they started producing in Ohio.

I have heard from folks INSIDE Mercedes about serious quality failures at the Tuscaloosa plant.

Toyota installed the WRONG PISTONS (how does this happen?) at the US Camry plant.

At some point, you can see a pattern.

I'll pay extra for "Made in Japan", everytime:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_2272291.html
Honda has been building cars in Ohio since 1982, some of the most reliable Honda's and best quality came from the state/plant. The pre 1982 Japan only Honda's were not very special.
Old 10-11-18, 10:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Toyota is pretty good with plant quality around the world:

Toyota Motor Corp.’s Cambridge North plant in Ontario, Canada, which produces the Toyota Corolla, and Georgetown 3 plant in Kentucky, which produces the Lexus ES, are the joint recipients of the 2018 J.D. Power Gold Plant Quality Award.
In any case, it would be for Chinese customers...
Old 10-11-18, 01:47 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Let's speak strong. Maybe that this move would be the right move to do, for models reserved to the chinese market.
But I would NEVER buy a chinese-outsourced Lexus. Just writing this on this page makes me cringe.This simply isn't compatible with what this brand was, and the strong bond it had with all of japan's industry.
And the chinese gov has just done nearly every bad move on the textbook. I already try to limit my consumption of chinese goods to a minimum. If Lexus goes this route, I will very probably buy something else.
Old 10-11-18, 03:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Let's speak strong. Maybe that this move would be the right move to do, for models reserved to the chinese market.
But I would NEVER buy a chinese-outsourced Lexus. Just writing this on this page makes me cringe.This simply isn't compatible with what this brand was, and the strong bond it had with all of japan's industry.
And the chinese gov has just done nearly every bad move on the textbook. I already try to limit my consumption of chinese goods to a minimum. If Lexus goes this route, I will very probably buy something else.
Something to think about?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-top-companies

https://au.pcmag.com/news/58998/does...inese-spy-chip

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/1...k-apple-amazon

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-c...ompany-n918696

https://www.wired.com/story/us-china-cybertheft-su-bin/
Old 10-12-18, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Toyota does not have plans to export Chinese production, let alone Lexus.
Old 10-13-18, 07:48 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no problem buying anything Made in China as long as there is quality control. All my electronics (TV, iPhone, PC) are Made in China except the Dyson from Malaysia. It makes sense for Japan to build Lexus in China for the Chinese market.
Old 10-14-18, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
That is not completeness or incompleteness of design

There are a number of factors that explain the features that you don't like about Toyotas, key among them being cost-limitation and cost-containment. Americans are very price-sensitive -- and much more so than buyers in the rest of the world -- when it comes to shopping for their personal-use vehicles. To keep retail prices down, there may have to be some less-expensive features substituted.
It is absolutely about polish and finish in the Japan import designs vs the American design or made models. Some of the items that you don't exactly see but they are there. It is nice to see these little details which are thoughtful of the design.

Below is from a 2003-2004 design 4Runner. MSRP was 48K at the time and you can compare it to a much more expensive Toyota Sequoia which was all American designed (so they say)

A little cover for the OBD-II plug.

Headrests that move for and aft (now gone on so many Toyota's and Lexus models)

Color keyed fuel door release vs hood latch release. (Gone from current 4Runner) Land Cruiser and LX took it to a higher level of detail

Door pocket lights that also illuminate the ground when the door is open (served two purposes)

An actual screwdriver is required to remove the door for the cabin filter.

An actual locking glove box (not present on the much more expensive Sequoia at the time)

Actual detailed instructions for the cabin air fitter.

A rubber dead/relax pedal for your left foot that stands the test of time. (compared the Sequoia at the time which had a patch I believe)

Some other nice touches are:
A soft closing rear hatch similar to the LS460 doors
An under hood cover (not present on the Sequoia at the time)
Fixed, rubber grab handles compared to the new lever plastic types
A separate tilt lever vs telescopic lever (newer designs have just one level for both) and the Sequoia at the time was absent of a telescoping steering wheel
Lighted cup holders at the time for the 4Runner

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-14-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
C-channel frames are cheaper to build than fully-boxed frames and if the more-expensive fully-boxed frame is not necessary for this market, it is cost-conscious to provide only what is wanted here.
The Japanese Toyota imported trucks were fully boxed in the 80s and 90s until Toyota starting use American built models. I do not know if the Japanese Toyota import trucks ever had frame recalls.

I leave you with this disgusting horror show below:

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-14-18 at 12:33 PM.