Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Was going to get 2019 G63 but got loaded/modded 2019 LX570 instead

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 01:06 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The G interiors were spartan due to their military roots. If you thought a 2014 G63 interior was subpar for a luxury Mercedes, Google a G-Professional or G Edition PUR interior. Those variants cost over $90k USD (though never offered here) and deliberately retained the interiors from the 1980's models and military-spec models. Pretty awesome!
I guess the point is that I'd never consider taking the G63 off road, just like I wouldn't be driving the G-Professional in town. Then again, I suppose the 6x6 is technically a G63 too.

Old 10-05-18, 04:59 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
people who don't like this car are total haters. do those who dont like this car complain about lx570's and range rovers? I would never own one but the appeal is there.

I see a surprising number of G wagons here in Japan. I think they are all driven by Yakuza Dunno where you are in Japan, but here in Kyushu some city roads are narrow as hell. I can barely deal w/ my skyline LOL
I sure do think the Lx570 is a stupid looking vehicle and Range Rovers are unreliable POS status symbols.
Old 10-05-18, 05:05 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I sure do think the Lx570 is a stupid looking vehicle and Range Rovers are unreliable POS status symbols.
i completely agree but a range rover is extremely nice to use when it's working lol
Old 10-05-18, 05:28 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

lmao classic geländewagen love / hate relationship going on here...

i'd want the G55 since i love the AMG supercharged 5.4 engine, and to me a g wagon with independent front suspension isn't a "real" g wagon. i've driven a G55 and a 2016 G550 and they're both equally terrible to drive. anyone who says otherwise is either in denial or trying to fool someone. like seriously at 60 mph you can violently jerk the wheel 180 degrees and the thing keeps going basically perfectly straight. the steering also manages to be heavy while being vague and uncommunicative at the same time. it also rolls around and rides and feels like (i wonder why) a 40 year old truck lol... if one ever speeds by me on the highway, i have genuine admiration for them because it's really unsettling driving one that fast haha, especially for the first time. a 1987 camry is genuinely much more pleasing to drive than a 2017 g wagon.

as for the classic criticism of it being overpriced, how so!? there's nothing else on the market even close to it so there's really nothing to compare it to when saying it's overpriced. one it's genuinely pretty quick, sounds AWESOME, comes standard with 3 locking differentials, and really does look at home pretty much anywhere it goes. that last part depends mostly on how recently it's been washed. it's also really not very big, the dimensions are actually nearly identical to a corolla and you sit so high up so maneuvering it around a tight space really isn't too bad. i also think it's cool to say your vehicle was hand assembled by austrians over a period of 2 weeks. as for people saying it's unreliable, that's not what i hear from people who've owned them. it's one of those things that i'm just happy people even bothered to make. particularly the AMG version. it's just so over the top ridiculous, but that's what makes it so awesome and unique.
Old 10-05-18, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^^ now that post is full of awesome.
Old 10-06-18, 05:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lmao classic geländewagen love / hate relationship going on here...

i'd want the G55 since i love the AMG supercharged 5.4 engine, and to me a g wagon with independent front suspension isn't a "real" g wagon. i've driven a G55 and a 2016 G550 and they're both equally terrible to drive. anyone who says otherwise is either in denial or trying to fool someone. like seriously at 60 mph you can violently jerk the wheel 180 degrees and the thing keeps going basically perfectly straight. the steering also manages to be heavy while being vague and uncommunicative at the same time. it also rolls around and rides and feels like (i wonder why) a 40 year old truck lol... if one ever speeds by me on the highway, i have genuine admiration for them because it's really unsettling driving one that fast haha, especially for the first time. a 1987 camry is genuinely much more pleasing to drive than a 2017 g wagon.

as for the classic criticism of it being overpriced, how so!? there's nothing else on the market even close to it so there's really nothing to compare it to when saying it's overpriced. one it's genuinely pretty quick, sounds AWESOME, comes standard with 3 locking differentials, and really does look at home pretty much anywhere it goes. that last part depends mostly on how recently it's been washed. it's also really not very big, the dimensions are actually nearly identical to a corolla and you sit so high up so maneuvering it around a tight space really isn't too bad. i also think it's cool to say your vehicle was hand assembled by austrians over a period of 2 weeks. as for people saying it's unreliable, that's not what i hear from people who've owned them. it's one of those things that i'm just happy people even bothered to make. particularly the AMG version. it's just so over the top ridiculous, but that's what makes it so awesome and unique.
Agree with everything you say. Our LX450 is preposterous in a similar sort of way. Very difficult to driving other than slowly and is just downright terrible on the MPG. But when it snows, or rains heavy or you need to haul something very heavy (like two boat motors) and or wooden flooring it is always up for the task and feel like it will never quit. Built to last for sure, but very expensive to fix, I think we were supposed to service the air bags every 10 years according to the manual*

But back to G-class, I will add you can also get a V12* in the outgoing model.*
Old 10-06-18, 10:16 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The G is a really interesting car. I don't think I could justify the price of it, especially the previous model which had the very outdated interior. It doesn't make sense that they could charge more than an S class for the G, which didn't have the same features or amenities. However, it plays to the little boy in all of us. This new one is a step up. I heard that this car does not conform with any of the new safety regulations that are needed for every new model, and MB was able to get around it by saying its just a big refresh, hence the general body and underpinnings are the same.
Old 10-06-18, 10:50 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agree with everything you say. Our LX450 is preposterous in a similar sort of way. Very difficult to driving other than slowly and is just downright terrible on the MPG. But when it snows, or rains heavy or you need to haul something very heavy (like two boat motors) and or wooden flooring it is always up for the task and feel like it will never quit. Built to last for sure, but very expensive to fix, I think we were supposed to service the air bags every 10 years according to the manual*

But back to G-class, I will add you can also get a V12* in the outgoing model.*
well i haven't driven an 80 series land cruiser but i have driven the previous two generations and believe me they're WAY more modern feeling and nicer to drive than the G. for a start, the land cruisers didn't use recirculating ball steering lol, and its dimensions are much more modern. and yes the G65 takes the ridiculousness cake!
Old 10-06-18, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i haven't driven an 80 series land cruiser but i have driven the previous two generations and believe me they're WAY more modern feeling and nicer to drive than the G. for a start, the land cruisers didn't use recirculating ball steering lol, and its dimensions are much more modern. and yes the G65 takes the ridiculousness cake!
Yes. Two last gen Land Cruiser are more for the open road. The LX we still have does have a recirculating ball steering (I think), it needed big repairs a few years ago and it took two weeks to get the parts for it. The LX470 we owned before it was more more on road worthy with a AVS suspension that drove very nice. Yes, G65 is stupid but if you are spending that much money, I imagine it should be stupid. The Land Cruiser after the 80 series did come with a solid axle in some markets as an option, I think it was called a 105 series model, my husband knows more about this stuff, as he is dictating part of my response right now. Lol
Old 10-06-18, 04:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes. Two last gen Land Cruiser are more for the open road. The LX we still have does have a recirculating ball steering (I think),
Recirc-ball steering is not as precise as rack-and-pinion, and tends to wear in the middle, causing some free-play and slop in the steering wheel..... manual units tend to show more of that (and from slower steering-ratios) than the power-assisted units. But, for heavy-duty and off-road use, it is substantially more durable and less likely to break than steering racks....hence its still fairly widespread-use in work trucks and off-road-capable SUVs like the LX.
Old 10-06-18, 04:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

We just went from $155k to what $400k+? Maybe meet in the middle at the Bentyga or the crazy Lambo Urus.
Doesnt a G wagon hit something like $225K all loaded up?
Old 10-07-18, 08:31 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes. Two last gen Land Cruiser are more for the open road. The LX we still have does have a recirculating ball steering (I think), it needed big repairs a few years ago and it took two weeks to get the parts for it. The LX470 we owned before it was more more on road worthy with a AVS suspension that drove very nice. Yes, G65 is stupid but if you are spending that much money, I imagine it should be stupid. The Land Cruiser after the 80 series did come with a solid axle in some markets as an option, I think it was called a 105 series model, my husband knows more about this stuff, as he is dictating part of my response right now. Lol
Jill that's a bunch of BS. if the last two gen Land Cruiser are "more for open road", than pretty much EVERY single Toyota truck ever made aside from their 80's pickup "are more for open road". 4Runners,Tacomas, Hilux, so on and so forth, NEVER came with a front SA option and they are some of the most well known offroad capable vehicles on the planet.

Your 80 is nice, but don't you for ONE second think you're that much more capable than a 100-200 series haha. You're dreaming.
Old 10-07-18, 08:33 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

And if anyone is going to bring into discussion their decision to finally go IFS on any of these trucks, then you have clearly never taken something like a Wrangler or 80 series on a cross country road trip. Awful experience does not even begin to describe their on-road manners. Of course Toyota had to do what they did with the IFS.
Old 10-07-18, 10:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

Your 80 is nice, but don't you for ONE second think you're that much more capable than a 100-200 series haha. You're dreaming.
A stock 80s series with optional locking differentials front and rear will go farther than any 100 or 200 series North American model that are not available with even the option for a locking differential front and rear. Just the rear in some years.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-07-18 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
4Runners...... Hilux, so on and so forth, NEVER came with a front SA option and they are some of the most well known offroad capable vehicles on the planet..
Actually the very original 4X4 Hilux 4Runner came with a solid axle

Quick Reply: Was going to get 2019 G63 but got loaded/modded 2019 LX570 instead