Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Was going to get 2019 G63 but got loaded/modded 2019 LX570 instead

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

If you like it, get it. Its the sort of vehicle that is all about whether or not you like it and it appeals to you, its not mainstream or designed to appeal to a mass market of people. Would I buy one? No. Just not my thing. I'd rather have a Range Rover.

Originally Posted by UDel
The Bentyga is really ugly and has no presence, looks like a Subaru. Seeing one in person does not change that
Your opinion. I think the Bentayga is good looking, and I think they have a lot of presence. One of the malls here always has a Bentayga parked inside and theres always a crowd looking at it and even my wife commented about it...and she never comments on any car.
Old 10-03-18, 04:25 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
something american Escalade or Navigator (moreso this one) probably but i doubt you have those choices there. Glad they did a full interior redesign, previous ones were pretty disgusting. The Lincoln Aviator thats coming out, holy crap its sexy.
Interesting. Years ago I really wanted an Escalade as they do import them here, but it was left had drive and when I drove it it was just too much of a pain on left side driven roads, especially on the narrow roads we have here.
Originally Posted by sears1234
Interesting, why don't you ask this question in Mercedes forum? there are full of real users there.
Been a member here for ever. Also, I have never considered this car before, but after seeing a few reviews that came into my Facebook feed it piqued my curiosity and this forum is my main goto car forum even though I have been graduating to Benz cars over the last few years. I still think it will be even if I sell all my Lexus cars. That's it, I just like this forum and the members.
The older G Wagons were not great drivers at all, after riding in one I can't believe someone would spend so much money on it, interior is not special either, just older Mercedes sedan bits thrown in that look out of place and it is based on a really old design, fuel economy is horrendous for a vehicle that is not quick unless you get the AMG versions. It is good for serious off roading but who is going to take such a expensive vehicle on a punishing off road trail. The new one I am sure has improved greatly but it is ugly as sin and does not have that blocky rugged presence as the old one. If I was the OP and wanted a ridiculous expensive SUV I would go all out and get the Rolls Royce Cullinan, its not nearly as ugly as the G63 and has the Rolls Royce name, Rolls will ride and drive much better, nicer interior. Other then that the top line Navigator Black Editions seem pretty nice, that yacht club is interesting.
For some reason I am just not a fan of how these luxury SUV's that are being introduced of late. I know what you are thinking, what the heck, the G63 is even more ugly! But , I don't mind the look of it, it so different from anything else and here where everyone has the same car it is a breath of fresh V8 air. Also, if I was going to get a Rolls, it would be a sedan, but that also is not on the cards as I want a Bentley in the near future if all goes well.

Originally Posted by Kense
There is a Point of AMG, AMG has a racing history and Make race cars and high performance cars meant to be driven hard and have fun in. The interior of this car isn't even up to the quality of all the other AMG's in the line up. Will this car be drag raced or something? It's a tall lunch box shaped car, it makes no sense to slap a large high performance engine in a vehicle like this.
Have you seen the new one's interior? And here in Japan my view is that AMG is the only place to get a muscle car. I just can't get away from a great sounding V8.
Originally Posted by spwolf
Just get it and tell us how it is

I am sure it will be more fun in Japan than LC. It is a bit smaller too, maybe easier to navigate?
Yeah, but it is good to get opinions, which mind you I was never aware that so many people don't like them.
Old 10-03-18, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I have decided to get rid of the 2016 model LX 570 as it just is so slow and uninteresting, although I do love the interior. Looks like it will be about 30K less than the S63, which I am upgrading to the latest minor change model. So has anyone else have experience with this car before I pull the trigger (Which will be next week BTW)?
Congratulations on your decision. The electrical systems and hardware may not be as reliable on the G-Wagon (Gelandewagen) as on the LX, but the vehicle's basic structure is built like a tank.....I'm sure you've noticed that when you shut the doors. It has the old, carved-from-granite feel that Mercedes products used to have before the 1990s, when competition from Lexus and Infiniti forced them to cut costs. The fact that it's built like a tank is probably no co-incidence.....it was originally designed, in the late 1970s, as a troop-support-vehicle for the German/Austrian militaries.
Old 10-03-18, 08:18 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

New G63 is incredible SUV if you like trucks.
Personally i like the Range Rover better.

A neighbor of mine drives his kid to school in a matte black G500 4x4 2 (squared) - Now that thing is EPIC!

The Gwagon also keeps it’s value much better than any other MB.
Old 10-03-18, 10:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Interesting. Years ago I really wanted an Escalade as they do import them here, but it was left had drive and when I drove it it was just too much of a pain on left side driven roads, especially on the narrow roads we have here.

Been a member here for ever. Also, I have never considered this car before, but after seeing a few reviews that came into my Facebook feed it piqued my curiosity and this forum is my main goto car forum even though I have been graduating to Benz cars over the last few years. I still think it will be even if I sell all my Lexus cars. That's it, I just like this forum and the members.
For some reason I am just not a fan of how these luxury SUV's that are being introduced of late. I know what you are thinking, what the heck, the G63 is even more ugly! But , I don't mind the look of it, it so different from anything else and here where everyone has the same car it is a breath of fresh V8 air. Also, if I was going to get a Rolls, it would be a sedan, but that also is not on the cards as I want a Bentley in the near future if all goes well.

I agree, if I was to get a Rolls I would get a Phantom, a Ghost, or even the Wraith which is a really nice coupe over the Cullinan, I am not really a fan of the Cullinan or any of these new high dollar SUV's but you seemed to be looking to a high end SUV which I why I mentioned it. I like the Bentley Mulsanne, I think in many ways the interior looks nicer then a Rolls Royce interior, I would also highly consider a Continental GT coupe, always liked those, new one looks really nice.
Old 10-04-18, 12:26 AM
evident
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

people who don't like this car are total haters. do those who dont like this car complain about lx570's and range rovers? I would never own one but the appeal is there.

I see a surprising number of G wagons here in Japan. I think they are all driven by Yakuza Dunno where you are in Japan, but here in Kyushu some city roads are narrow as hell. I can barely deal w/ my skyline LOL
Old 10-04-18, 03:04 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, if I was to get a Rolls I would get a Phantom, a Ghost, or even the Wraith which is a really nice coupe over the Cullinan, I am not really a fan of the Cullinan or any of these new high dollar SUV's but you seemed to be looking to a high end SUV which I why I mentioned it. I like the Bentley Mulsanne, I think in many ways the interior looks nicer then a Rolls Royce interior, I would also highly consider a Continental GT coupe, always liked those, new one looks really nice.
No, I appreciate the input as that was the main reason I posted to see if I was missing anything. Someone mentioned the Range Rover and I have been looking at that as well. The price is $260K vs $220K , so not much difference there and although the interior is much better from what I can see, it really does not appeal that much. I already have the S63 and that is in my opinion better the Range Rover. I don't know, it is just something totally different and I should mention that side pipes here illegal, although the G63 has them and that is worth extra right there for me. I just love side pipes on a growling V8!
Originally Posted by evident
people who don't like this car are total haters. do those who dont like this car complain about lx570's and range rovers? I would never own one but the appeal is there.

I see a surprising number of G wagons here in Japan. I think they are all driven by Yakuza Dunno where you are in Japan, but here in Kyushu some city roads are narrow as hell. I can barely deal w/ my skyline LOL
Yeah,the G500 is definitely a Yakuza goto car but, I don't care about that. Yeah roads are pretty narrow here too, but I am used to it with the LX, people just have to back it up.

Old 10-04-18, 08:11 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The Bentyga is really ugly and has no presence, looks like a Subaru. Seeing one in person does not change that, I saw a light blue one when I was on vacation and its looks do not improve in person, blends in with traffic too. Lambo Urus is pointless, its odd styling does not work as a SUV, its on a modified Audi SUV platform and it is no quicker then a top Porsche Cayanne. It is not luxurious either. From previous posts of the OP and cars he has owned I think he is one of the few that can afford even a Rolls.
That post wasn’t meant to be a serious suggestion. Plus you don’t have the needed ground clearance in the Rolls to drive over peasant cars.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 10-04-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 08:28 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

just get the 6x6 to shut us all up
Old 10-04-18, 09:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
people who don't like this car are total haters.
I don't like the G but I'm not a hater. Its just not my kind of vehicle.
Old 10-04-18, 10:36 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

way to[o] common huh?

yeah i see g wagons all over town all the time.
Here in LA, they are a dime a dozen. I see more of them than any of the higher end Lexus models (LS, LC and LX).
Old 10-04-18, 02:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think the Bentayga is good looking, and I think they have a lot of presence.

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Here in LA, they (G class) are a dime a dozen. I see more of them than any of the higher end Lexus models (LS, LC and LX).
well we all know there's a ton of celeb and other money in LA!
Old 10-05-18, 02:23 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

OP, you won't be disappointed with a G-Wagen. They're tanks but truly excellent tanks. The 2019 redesign (W464 chassis code) brings several improvements that allow it to do a little better in urban driving situations than the older models. But the older ones are unbeatable as well. Either generation is good. However you don't need a G63 to have a great experience in one of these. Just get the base G and start customizing it to do what it does best: utterly dominate in any offroad environment. Any.

The best such version is the rarer G500 4x4 Squared with portal axles all around. THAT is the hardware you want with one of these SUVs. If buying a regular G model or any older used one with at least a 2002+ V8 or OM606 turbodiesel swap, for considerable additional investment you can also add portal axles and make your own G 4x4 Squared.

What's annoying is that the G Professional models are not sold in the United States. We just get the models full of leather and an S-Class interior which don't mix well with messy off road adventures.

I've been around many 80's W460's, W461 military versions of all different body styles (3-Door SWB, 5-door LWB, SWB Cabriolet/Wolf W461's and many W463's) running everything from I-5 and I-6 diesel/turbodiesel, gas I-6's, gas naturally aspirated V8's and bi-turbo gas V8's and they're all amazing, extremely overbuilt machines that you cannot go wrong with if you have the means.

A G is an ultimate SUV that you keep. There is little else that replaces one. And few of its true competitors are even sold in the USA (Jeep Wrangler YES, Land Rover Defender NO, Toyota Land Cruiser 70-Series NO).

I'm coming from the perspective of the true world-beating capabilities of various G-Wagen models since 1979 though. New models are always sky high expensive but they're good machines. I wouldn't really pay much attention to the silly V12 and AMG versions though. The V8's in base models are more than enough in that chassis unless drag racing an overpowered ballistic brick is appealing.

Although the center of gravity in any G, while not what you'd call low, is centered lower than you'd expect given its height since a huge amount of the weight is in the chassis itself and not the upper body. The sideways tilt angles you can get these things safely in an offroad environment are impressive.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-18 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 02:32 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I always thought it would be funny to own a G63 (mostly due to the OTT styling) and have long said it'd be the only way to get me into an SUV. Then I drove one.

It was a last-gen G63 (I think MY2014), but it was the worst-handling car I've ever driven. Yes, even worse than the boaty RX300s we used to get as loaners. The steering feel is almost nonexistent and the ratio seems super high, making the car feel like it was always fighting me in the corners - even at relatively low speeds.

Maybe the new gen is an improvement, but definitely test drive it before you consider getting one.

Oh yeah, the interior was way below MB standards, too. Glad they seem to have fixed that for the new generation.
Old 10-05-18, 02:56 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

^^ The older ones have straight axles front and rear with lockers that you engage and disengage from the dash. They were designed to take on the worst off-road environments and they do that very well.

The 2019 redesign is the first major revision to the G chassis since they began production in 1979. The front axles will now be independent (still with three different lockers) which should help with the on-road feel and handling. The new 2019 USA-spec interior has gone REALLY S-Class. Honestly it's far too much in my opinion given what these SUVs really are for. There are plenty of other Mercedes models that should have their most luxurious of interiors. The G-Wagen is a true off-road machine that happens to be very streetable in a city. Even if it has an M-B badge it's more that than its new S-Class style interior would lead you to believe otherwise.

An RX300 being a lifted Toyota Camry with front-biased AWD designed for city driving is a universe apart from a G. And I don't doubt your take on how those drive one bit. The RX's have no excuse for being poor handlers given the role they're intended to fill... and an RX would be terrible in a serious off-road situation. But the G-Wagens are exactly the opposite in terms of what they're meant for and as a consequence their handling and on-road feel to date has always sucked a bit. Okay, quite a bit However take it out somewhere away from paved streets and highways and it shines.

The G interiors were spartan due to their military roots. If you thought a 2014 G63 interior was subpar for a luxury Mercedes, Google a G-Professional or G Edition PUR interior. Those variants cost over $90k USD (though never offered here) and deliberately retained the interiors from the 1980's models and military-spec models. Pretty awesome!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-18 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Was going to get 2019 G63 but got loaded/modded 2019 LX570 instead