Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac to expand V-Series but discontinue CTS-V and ATS-V

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 06:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Cadillac can really help themselves by aligning the size and price of their cars to the competition. I have been saying for years, you cannot take an entry level sedan, jack up the price, make it slightly bigger, and force it to be in the next class up while keeping the same name. People do not buy that type of BS. No one has ever pulled off such a move and no one ever will. To think there are adults working for GM who think such things are possible is sorry. The majority of Cadillac headlines these days are about failures. We deserve better from this storied company.
Although I agree that marketing conditions are different today, GM, Ford, and Chrysler all three routinely did exactly that in the late 1970s and early 80s, when downsizing on each re-design became routine. It was routing for companies to play the name game by transferring the name of their full-size cars to the mid-sized ones, and, on the new (or carryover) full-sizer adding the name "Grand" or "Royal" to the former name of the full-sizer on the new full-sizer.
Old 09-20-18, 07:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Cadillac can really help themselves by aligning the size and price of their cars to the competition. I have been saying for years, you cannot take an entry level sedan, jack up the price, make it slightly bigger, and force it to be in the next class up while keeping the same name. People do not buy that type of BS. No one has ever pulled off such a move and no one ever will. To think there are adults working for GM who think such things are possible is sorry. The majority of Cadillac headlines these days are about failures. We deserve better from this storied company.
Nissan Altima.

Old 09-20-18, 08:00 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Nissan Altima.

...and Toyota Camry and Honda Accord...

... and and Lexus ES.

All of these cars started life as compacts but grew larger through their generations to become mid-size cars, all while keeping the same iconic names.
Old 09-20-18, 08:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
and Cadillac wonders why the CTS-V doesn't sell? LOL

haha that is telling. Can you imagine (and I was thinking this too behind a sweet Camaro SS this AM) servicing this at a GMC/Caddy dealership? These are the same clowns who treat people with 82k SUVs poorly. But with a performance car like this, I'd have to install one of those BlackVues with the external locks.
Old 09-20-18, 10:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I love the ATS-V and CTS-V but they are too expensive now. There are a lot of wealthy people in my area but I have only seen one new CTS-V and one ATV-V coupe on the road. I don’t even see the non V versions that often considering how popular Cadillacs were around here.

The old CTS-V is very common in coupe and sedan form. I think the price is what scares people away.
Old 09-20-18, 01:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
...and Toyota Camry and Honda Accord...

... and and Lexus ES.

All of these cars started life as compacts but grew larger through their generations to become mid-size cars, all while keeping the same iconic names.
The above examples are not the same scenarios as what Cadillac is trying to pull off. The Altima, Accord, and Camry all grew in size TOGETHER. The class grew equally. What Cadillac has been doing is pumping up certain models that do not line up with the competition. Sometimes that isn't a major problem, but they are also pricing things way out of line, which is a big problem. To make it worse, they introduce a new small model to take the place of the original bigger one. Problem with that is it's too small compared to what they are pitting it against. Just a train wreck of decisions, one after another. No matter how it's presented or worded, the end result is failed sales and the discontinuance of models.
Old 09-20-18, 01:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although I agree that marketing conditions are different today, GM, Ford, and Chrysler all three routinely did exactly that in the late 1970s and early 80s, when downsizing on each re-design became routine. It was routing for companies to play the name game by transferring the name of their full-size cars to the mid-sized ones, and, on the new (or carryover) full-sizer adding the name "Grand" or "Royal" to the former name of the full-sizer on the new full-sizer.
Just because the Big Three did that back in the late 70's and early 80's doesn't mean is/was a smart idea. In fact, those were very troubling times for those companies due to their offerings. The buying public does not like the carpet pulled out from under them and name/model recognition is huge in this industry. Mess all that up AND overprice things, and you have a recipe for slow sales.
Old 09-20-18, 01:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Escalade-V?
Old 09-20-18, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Just because the Big Three did that back in the late 70's and early 80's doesn't mean is/was a smart idea. In fact, those were very troubling times for those companies due to their offerings. The buying public does not like the carpet pulled out from under them and name/model recognition is huge in this industry. Mess all that up AND overprice things, and you have a recipe for slow sales.

Oh, I agree.....I didn't like the practice, either, and felt that, at the time, what the companies were doing was a way to try and fool those of us, that were not car-savvy into thinking that, because of name-shifting and musical chairs, we were getting more car than we actually were. I could see right through it, as did most people who followed the industry and could add a simple two and two. Of course, I was opposed to the whole program of downsizing, back then, to start with. It basically arose from the attempt to get more MPG out of cars, which came about from the government meddling in the industry and mandating higher MPG and lower emissions. Technology, in those days, was not what it is today, and the simplest way to get lower emissions was lead-free fuel, lighter vehicle weights, and smaller engines.
Old 09-20-18, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Escalade-V?

Doubtful on the present model. That vehicle is too large, too ponderous, too top-heavy, and IMO, one could not get the kind of handling, with its live rear axle, that the "V" designation would require.

GM hasn't released details, but the next-generation Escalade may, in fact, ditch the live axle for IRS, as the big Ford/Lincoln SUV's did several years ago.
Old 09-20-18, 02:28 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
No, the Tesla Model S is the fastest 4 door production car.
its the quickest but definitely not the fastest