Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car Advice - Kia/Hyundai vs Ford vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 03:07 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Don't know the age of your mother, but a family friend who is about 80 and owns an older Continental (I believe) has bought a small Ford SUV (either Escape or Edge). Says it is much easier to get and out of, plus easier to put groceries, etc in the back. So access of a small SUV may be a consideration.
Old 09-18-18, 04:08 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

thank you both for your contributions. they are greatly appreciated. i'd like to point out to mike that i'm not only open to new vehicles, but used and CPO vehilcles are also on the table.. anyhow, thank you once again..
Old 09-18-18, 07:10 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

mike, if it isn't too much to ask, i'd like you're opinion on the chevy cruze (model years 2015+)
Old 09-18-18, 08:15 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Elantra Value edition and it has been a great car. if you can find a used one that fits your budget that is a solid choice IMO

If long term reliability is a priority you should also look at a CPO Corolla. You should be able to find 2015 within your budget

lastly you can go cars.com and look for CPO cars, filter by your budget, model year and compare all the choices out there.

Old 09-18-18, 08:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
mike, if it isn't too much to ask, i'd like you're opinion on the chevy cruze (model years 2015+)

Not at all. I did a write-up on a test-drive of a 2017 Cruze Diesel (though it was not a full-review). The majority of the comments were, of course, about the engine, but I did cover some other features of the car. If there is something else you want (or need) just let me know.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ze-diesel.html
Old 09-18-18, 09:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

You are far better off with the Korean offerings and avoiding Ford alltogether. The Ford models do not hold up well over time, and have a high failure rate in many categories. The Korean cars rate much higher over a period of time. This has been the case for about ten years, and you can see the proof if you research Consumer Reports.
I'd also avoid the Chevy Cruz, which has shown reliability problems for some time. An absolutely avoid any Chrysler product, which all rate terrible.
Also consider an older Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Both are rated at the top for reliable, trouble-free driving 10-15 years after being new.
Old 09-19-18, 05:17 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thank you for all of the contributions. it seems to me like the logical choice would be one of the korean offerings or an older corolla or civic. i'm leaning toward the koreans at the moment. the car will be bought in a few months' time and so i have time to research. i will keep all abreast of the happenings. thanks to all once again.
Old 09-19-18, 05:41 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

What's your mileage limit? You could even pick up a '15 Camry with around 60k miles for that price.
Old 09-19-18, 07:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
What's your mileage limit? You could even pick up a '15 Camry with around 60k miles for that price.
i would like the vehicle to have under 50k miles on it.
Old 09-20-18, 12:57 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

mike *and others*,

would you recommend the mazda3 (2015+)?

thanks!
Old 09-20-18, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mike *and others*,

would you recommend the mazda3 (2015+)?

thanks!

No major reliability problems that I can think of......it has a better than average reliability record, according to Consumer Reports. Upper-line versions of the Mazda 3 are well-known for their sharp handling and driving-feel, although your Mom may not be into that kind of driving, and may (?) prefer a smoother ride. Both sedan and hatchback versions are available in the U.S., an advantage over some rivals.

One thing I personally don't like on several Mazda products (including the 3) is the lack of an engine-temperature gauge.....one must depend on red and blue cold/hot warning lights. But, again, that may not be an issue with your Mom.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-18 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 07:14 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No major reliability problems that I can think of......it has a better than average reliability record, according to Consumer Reports. Upper-line versions of the Mazda 3 are well-known for their sharp handling and driving-feel, although your Mom may not be into that kind of driving, and may (?) prefer a smoother ride. Both sedan and hatchback versions are available in the U.S., an advantage over some rivals.

One thing I personally don't like on several Mazda products (including the 3) is the lack of an engine-temperature gauge.....one must depend on red and blue cold/hot warning lights. But, again, that may not be an issue with your Mom.
thank you again for the insight!
Old 09-24-18, 02:15 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

do you guys think it would be better to go with the korean offerings or the traditional japanese offerings, i.e., the civic and the corolla? i'm torn between the two.
Old 09-25-18, 05:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

or would you guys recommend purchasing an older lexus/acura/infiniti? would there be any inherent problems with, say, a 2010 rx or is or tlx or ilx or g37 with 80 to 100k miles? mike, your opinion would be greatly valued.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-25-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

or would you guys recommend purchasing an older lexus/acura/infiniti? would there be any inherent problems with, say, a 2010 rx or is or tlx or ilx or g37 with 80 to 100k miles? mike, your opinion would be greatly valued.
I'm generally of the opinion that, all else equal, in most cases, the newer and/or lower the mileage, the better. CPO's, of course (Certified Previously Owned), are often the best way to go after that, though they usually cost an added premium compared to most used vehicles, and aren't always as thoroughly inspected as they claim to be. The 80-100K miles you suggest are generally over the allowable range for most CPO's, but, of course, you usually won't pay as much for them, ether. As for the specific vehicles you mention, The Acura ILX does not particularly impress me, as it is basically a redone Civic without much added noise insulation, and I found the general ride comfort and quietness definitely lacking compared to its rival Buick Verano (which I owned for five years), though the Verano had some issues with piston rings and oil consumption from the non-turbo 2.4L engine. The ILX also will probably not be readily available on the used car market duet to its relatively low sales as a new car....finding a good sample might take some hunting. Prices should be relatively low because of depreciation and lack of demand.

The Lexus RX sells a ton, both new and used, and should be readily available on the used-car market. It is versatile, usually quite comfortable (though I'd avoid the more expensive and stiffer-riding F-Sport version), should get you through almost any reasonably-bad winter storm, and, of course, being Camry-based, should be quite reliable. It will use substantially more fuel, of course, than an ILX because of its size, added weight, and AWD drag.

The Lexus IS, I thought, was best-built in its first-generation (the 1Gen was a redone, larger-engine Toyota Altezza), and the in-line six was smooth-running and tough as nails (I owned one for some four years). Its interior had some very unuslly-styled featured, which I liked. But it had some quirks in its transmission/shift-lever function and throttle-by-wire programming at low speeds. The 2Gen and 3Gen versions, at least IMO, successively lost build-solidness and material quality, though general reliability remained above average. All three versions had an extremely tight back seat, so I'd avoid them for general family use. They are also RWD in the standard versions, though AWD versions are available (in my area, the IS250WD is quite popular), but still sit quite low to the ground, so I wouldn't call it an all-weather machine. Avoid the 2Gen IS-F version at all costs.....it is not only very hard to find, but EXTREMELY stiff-riding (IMO comparable to a Mitsubishi Evo, and was so stiff that even auto-enthusiast magazines complained about the initial 2008 version, and Lexus made some slight suspension-adjustments the following year).

I don't see any significant problems with the Acura TLX...IMO, it is better-done than the ILX, a little more comfortable, and has good reliability. I liked the interior trim on the 1Gen versions more than I did on its successor, which, like most Acura (and Lexus) products of the time, underwent some cost-cutting inside on the redesign. Likewise, the G37 has (with some exceptions) generally better than average reliability, and the later versions had the VQ engines that were generally high-regarded by reviewers and the auto press. The G37 avoided the efficient but often troublesome CVT (Continuously-Variable) transmission found in a number of other Nissan/Infiniti products, though some of the conventional automatics of the period from Nissan (as in my friend's Pathfinder) needed early replacement as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Car Advice - Kia/Hyundai vs Ford vs ?