Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Experienced a scary PCS false trigger...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 10:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its only a matter of time when one of these gimmicks causes a major accident, with a lawsuit to follow. Going to be interesting to watch.
Old 09-03-18, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My car does not have any of the above features, but the IS300 loaner I had last month did and I didn't care for it one bit. There are too many times when making a turn one has to cross over a painted lane line, and then suddenly the steering wheel has a mind of it's own and becomes hard to turn. This can be a hazard when trying to make a faster maneuver, but thankfully I didn't have that come up. I am hoping my next Lexus will have a way to permanently shut off all these nannies. A smart and alert driver can do more good on his/her own, vs. the chances of one of these nannies getting in the way and causing an accident.
Has any studied surfaced showing the rate or % of accidents caused by these? I am sure it does it's share of saving people who are not paying attention, but that aint me and I don't want to carry the burden of irresponsible driver's bad habits.
Originally Posted by Och
Its only a matter of time when one of these gimmicks causes a major accident, with a lawsuit to follow. Going to be interesting to watch.
Count me in with Och and Fizzboy.

Old 09-03-18, 11:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

These technologies aren’t going away, they’ll get better.
Old 09-03-18, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
all your naysaying doesn't negate the fact that the vast majority of accidents are caused by the DRIVER due to inattention/distraction, impairment (drink/drunks), or just bad driving/judgment. but i agree there will be lawsuits, just like bogus 'unintended acceleration' ones because drivers couldn't accept they hit the wrong pedal or got a floormat stuck.

i've no doubt that drivers such as yourself and mmarshall pay attention, don't drive crazy or under the influence, but you're the exception rather than the rule. only tech can save people from themselves.
Old 09-03-18, 01:36 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My GS almost killed me once when I was switching lanes and it decided to slam on brakes in the middle of the road. I almost got t-boned that time. Another instance, my PCS actually caused an accident, 2 cars behind me collided. I will never in my life own another car with such stupid system ever. You can disable the PCS under your steering wheel and enjoy the car.
Old 09-03-18, 01:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
My GS almost killed me once when I was switching lanes and it decided to slam on brakes in the middle of the road. I almost got t-boned that time. Another instance, my PCS actually caused an accident, 2 cars behind me collided. I will never in my life own another car with such stupid system ever. You can disable the PCS under your steering wheel and enjoy the car.
My X6M almost got me into an accident during an aggressive maneuver that I was trying to perform. I turn this crap off whenever I remember to do it.
Old 09-03-18, 01:51 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
These technologies aren’t going away, they’ll get better.
Not necessarily, legal lawsuits might force manufacturers to abandon this nonsense alltogether.
Old 09-03-18, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Not necessarily, legal lawsuits might force manufacturers to abandon this nonsense alltogether.
I'll take that bet any day.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Does your radar cruise still work?
Old 09-03-18, 02:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

PCS, LKA, LDA, DRCC.. none of this replaces the driver, but rather assists. As for PCS, it cannot always prevent a collision but rather reduce or mitigate an impact. This example shows it is not fool proof. Can happen to any car with the technology.
Old 09-03-18, 03:00 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Does your radar cruise still work?
I never use it here in NY, with so much traffic, it becomes pointless. But let me try it tomorrow, hopefully there won't be much traffic on the way to work. I'll get back to you.
Old 09-03-18, 05:49 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

A friend of mine had a LX570 and the PCS actually saved him from a bad accident. He said he didn’t have time to react to another car pulling out in front of him and it worked as advertised. It’s not perfect as has been discussed here but it does work and is not all negatives.
Old 09-03-18, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I don't know that I would turn it off, even having had the false trigger
Old 09-03-18, 06:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, I don't know that I would turn it off, even having had the false trigger
one false positive in how many miles? seems good to me. Might save your life another time, you never know.
Old 09-03-18, 07:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all your naysaying doesn't negate the fact that the vast majority of accidents are caused by the DRIVER due to inattention/distraction, impairment (drink/drunks), or just bad driving/judgment. but i agree there will be lawsuits, just like bogus 'unintended acceleration' ones because drivers couldn't accept they hit the wrong pedal or got a floormat stuck.

i've no doubt that drivers such as yourself and mmarshall pay attention, don't drive crazy or under the influence, but you're the exception rather than the rule. only tech can save people from themselves.
We went through this in the other thread. Ultimately I think driving personal cars, even if they are self driving, is unsustainable. Hopefully we'll see a major reduction in car ownership in the decades to come, and this tech wont be even needed.
Old 09-03-18, 07:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
PCS, LKA, LDA, DRCC.. none of this replaces the driver, but rather assists. As for PCS, it cannot always prevent a collision but rather reduce or mitigate an impact. This example shows it is not fool proof. Can happen to any car with the technology.
Except when it triggers for no apparent reason, it's no longer an assist but rather a hazard. Right now government is mandating all automakers to adopt this tech, but lets see what happens once law suits start rolling in.

Quick Reply: Experienced a scary PCS false trigger...