EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Audi E-Tron (2019 and on)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 06:25 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
That is the hilarious thing about Tesla's 27th out of 29 in reliability. They are not dealing with an engine or transmission.
That is the hilarious thing about CR's definition of reliability.
Old 04-05-19, 06:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Freds430
When the competition from Audi, Volvo, and Mercedes come out this year the units per month will fall to below 200 per month.
Interesting prediction- can you please share some stock tips since you are able to see into the future to so confidently forecast future production and sales??! Will hold onto this one and see if you're right.
Old 04-05-19, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i dunno, but i wouldn't be surprised if the etron is heavier and more luxurious/quieter. tesla goes for minimum components it seems, which is great too. but certainly tesla probably now has vastly more battery experience than anyone else.
Quick lookup confirms ... Etron 5644 lbs (or more depending on trim?) while model x is 5185 to 5531 lbs
Old 04-05-19, 07:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Reliability to me means I'm confident I won't get stranded on the road while driving.
i put the chance of that in any car 5 years old or less today at near zero and to me, irrelevant. It’s why all these dependability studies are worthless. Also, when ‘reliability’ includes ‘the infotainment is annoying, buggy, or slow’ then it’s again, irrelevant to any traditional meaning of being reliable (it gets you from A to B without concern).
Old 04-05-19, 07:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i put the chance of that in any car 5 years old or less today at near zero and to me, irrelevant. It’s why all these dependability studies are worthless. Also, when ‘reliability’ includes ‘the infotainment is annoying, buggy, or slow’ then it’s again, irrelevant to any traditional meaning of being reliable (it gets you from A to B without concern).
Exactly. CR and others are flawed on their methodology and use of the actual word "reliability." Totally irrelevant.
Old 04-05-19, 07:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't follow CR too close, maybe someone who knows for sure can chime in, but don't they evaluate something like 15 or so different areas in their reliability info with infotainment being just one of them?
Old 04-05-19, 08:29 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Tesla loses reliability because their aren’t many places or people that can work on them.

Audi and other brands are everywhere... at worst you have a 2-3hr drive. You don’t have to ship your car off to get it repaired.
That plays into reliability.

But it we all have our favorite brands. So we all know how that works.
Old 04-05-19, 11:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

If you need body work, there is a decent network of authorized shops. Not as plentiful as normal dealers, but I've got 2 within a 45 minute drive. If you need service, they come out to you with their mobile service trucks. Thing is there really isn't anything to service.
Old 04-05-19, 12:54 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrJason
Tesla loses reliability because their aren’t many places or people that can work on them.

Audi and other brands are everywhere... at worst you have a 2-3hr drive. You don’t have to ship your car off to get it repaired.
That plays into reliability.

But it we all have our favorite brands. So we all know how that works.
I don't personally draw a connection between reliability and lack of places for service. Not having a lot of places nearby to service only impacts how long it takes to get something fixed. 80-90% of Tesla issues are addressed with software updates over WiFi and mobile service where they work on the car at your house/work/wherever.

I'm not a Tesla fan boy, but I just don't see where the haters come from on certain angles. Personally I'm waiting and saving my pennies for the eTron GT (looks like an S7) - I was interested in a Model S until I saw that. That's the direction I'll likely head.
Old 04-06-19, 08:46 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I don't personally draw a connection between reliability and lack of places for service. Not having a lot of places nearby to service only impacts how long it takes to get something fixed. 80-90% of Tesla issues are addressed with software updates over WiFi and mobile service where they work on the car at your house/work/wherever.

I'm not a Tesla fan boy, but I just don't see where the haters come from on certain angles. Personally I'm waiting and saving my pennies for the eTron GT (looks like an S7) - I was interested in a Model S until I saw that. That's the direction I'll likely head.

The Etron GT is going to be a monster for an electric.... as for my comment on “reliability and local service shops”... they do have a direct correlation as far as the CSI index goes.
You are correct.. 90% of issues are going to be software updates.

But that 10% of issues that take a few days or even weeks locally.. will take a month or longer with Tesla.

im glad you aren’t a fan boy. I love Audi’s because I’ve built a career with them. But I make a lot of money off all brands at my side shop I run on evenings and weekends.

I just love engines/motors in general... although I have to admit that Toyota/Lexus, has really, always been one of my favorite brands. They hardly ever break... and when they do... they are so simple to work on in comparison to my German makes.
Old 04-06-19, 09:18 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I find it hilarious that for a company and consumers of brand that will emphasize the difference between them and the status quo, they end up falling in line with traditional car companies idea of changing the goal posts to fit their narrative. "CRs methodology is flawed, they need to tell us their IP about how they reach conclusions, so then we can agree on their findings, but hey we wont do the same if we have to release our internal statistics on say the efficacy of autopilot safety" or "We are with CR as long as they agree that you can find no faults in our cars wink wink"

I think the Audi is a good first step for the brand. Its loyal customer base has something to look and feel at instead of read an empty press releases and interviews about the future EV range. However it`d be wrong to not point out what doesnt work. Some users in Europe have complained the physical placement of the charging port is terrible and their battery range is not stunning. In addition, have not seen their nationwide charging setup.

All of the status quo issues that Tesla cant seem to get right, is a WIP, how will dealers manage service requests, body shops, and also initial build quality. Plus will Audi deliver on what they promise in their PR releases. If they say you can order XYZ models, will they pull a Tesla and say will only Y and Z models will be first, and all those with a X, are not going to get them till 3 years from now.